Shop Discounts - Shirts & Cigs

TrustNoOneKMC

I thought I read somewhere that the shops on board carnival have all the T-Shirts on sale the last full day of the cruise? Is this true? When is the best day/sales for shopping on carnival ships?

Also, when I was on RCC, they sold Cartons of Cigarettes for $18 (once we were 3 miles away from USA). Does Carnival do this?

We have been on 4 Carnival Cruises, all 7 day.

I don't remember what days had what specials but count on the following

Inch of Gold & Silver sales (Chains)

Liquor sale - usually early in cruise- good prices

Cigarette sale- don't smoke, don't know prices

Tshirt sale, last full day of cruise

watch sale

Most sales are never repeated- if you see something and like it buy it, don't wait.

Can't speak to the cigs - I notices certain stuff on sale every day on the Liberty in Dec. You just had to keep trolling. On the Imagination before that, they sold out of the really popular stuff and sizes - so if there is something you really want... grab it!

From what i remember, on the last day they do put shirts on sale but they are not the pretty ones that are on display in the store all week. In my opinion they are less quality type shirts (bought a tank top, hem unraveled by second wash and faded). If you are looking for souveneirs for someone they would be good, but something you want to keep and wear over and over i suggest buying something whenever you see it no matter the cost

Also, when I was on RCC, they sold Cartons of Cigarettes for $18 (once we were 3 miles away from USA). Does Carnival do this?

Yes the carton of cigarettes are $18 I got 2 cartons for $32 I believe.. Not quite sure don't have my receipt handy..

Thanks for the info. I don't smoke either, but my mother does. I believe there is a limit of how much you can bring back. (Just one carton per person) Do they check for this? Lets say my father and I each wanted to purchase 4 cartons, (at separate times, of course) What are the chances of these being confiscated? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I don't smoke either, but my mother does. I believe there is a limit of how much you can bring back. (Just one carton per person) Do they check for this? Lets say my father and I each wanted to purchase 4 cartons, (at separate times, of course) What are the chances of these being confiscated? Thanks.

Hit and miss.. it is all up to customs if they want to search your bags.. if they don't you are fine if they do.. then you just have to pay duty on them.. Depending on how many are in your party split up the cigarettes one carton per bag per person...

From what i remember, on the last day they do put shirts on sale but they are not the pretty ones that are on display in the store all week. In my opinion they are less quality type shirts (bought a tank top, hem unraveled by second wash and faded). If you are looking for souveneirs for someone they would be good, but something you want to keep and wear over and over i suggest buying something whenever you see it no matter the cost

This is absolutely true...I remember keeping my eye on a particular shirt knowing that the sale would be coming up. When it did, it seemed that they brought in some low quality junky shirts to put on sale, the one I wanted was not included in the sale. It was a buy 3 for some price. I couldn't even find 3 worth buying. The sale shirts are the type you would pick up at an ABC store, if you know what that is.:p

Just bear in mind that if you smoke, take your own. You can't always find your brand on the ships or in port. I have never seen my brand anywhere:( , so I've never gotten a 'deal' on cigs. LOTS of Marlboro everywhere you look though.

Liquor specials during tasting event. They had a special where you could buy two liters of Sheridan's or Baileys or one of each, and get a free 1/2 liter of Sheridan's. Because this went over $40, you would also get a free liter of either rum, gin, or vodka.

Also keep in mind that the shop people are only paid $500 per month plus commission. They have certain targets that they have to met in order to get the commission. What is even more crazier is that they have to front the company $500 plus buy their first plane ticket in order to work. If they make it through the first contract, they get the $500 back and a plane ticket home. The company buys the next plane ticket if the contract is renewed.

Dave

Liquor specials during tasting event. They had a special where you could buy two liters of Sheridan's or Baileys or one of each, and get a free 1/2 liter of Sheridan's.

OMG, is there anything better than Sheridan's? My son brought me the (free) one;), and then I just had to go raid his liquor cabinet for more!

Next cruise, I will gladly pay the extra duty to bring back as much as I can.:)

Cotton,

You sound like a lady who I sold a bottle to because I knew she liked Amarulla. She called me up two weeks ago pleading with me if I knew where to get some more as she could not find any. I told her "oh so sorry" as it is not sold or imported into the US. I ended up selling her my other liter as I am still drinking on the mini.

Now I have to get her two bottles when we go on our next cruise. She likes to add it to her coffee.

Dave

We just sailed on the Celebration and bought 2 cartons of Benson & Hedges for $36 -- you had to buy 2 and couldn't buy just 1 for half the price. Seems to me the t-shirts went on sale the last day along with other stuff.

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

I waited for the t-shirt sale because I wanted to buy shirts for my boys. The only shirts on sale were printed with the names of our ports-of-call rather than the Carnival logo (which is what I wanted). Since I had already bought shirts in the ports, I had a hard time finding anything I liked. If I was interested in a particular design, there was nothing in my size.

It will be sitting on the shelf when I go to work today. :confused:

Jenice

Amarulla is available but Sheridan's is not because the US wont let it in. I believe I read somewhere it has to do with the shelf life of the cream.

Dave

Archived