New to Princess, a couple of questions

jabrown40

I'm thinking of booking a cruise on the new Star  princess for September 2025. I was trying to decide the benefits of deluxe balconies versus a mini suite. Are there benefits besides just an increase in size? I'm not sure exactly what reserve is, except that there may be a special area in the dining room set aside for those that have that status. Are there more perks?  It's a heavy port cruise, only 3 days at sea, so we won't probably spend a lot of time in the cabin.

I've done both a deluxe balcony and a club class mini suite, which is what the reserved collection mini suites are now. Personally, I didn't find the added extras that came with club class to be all that worth it. You get a couple different items on the menu in the MDR, a bottle of wine in your cabin and different canapes delivered to your room in the evening. I would much prefer the larger balcony, but that's only because I enjoy lounging out there. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room, the perks of the reserve collection will likely outweigh the benefit of a larger balcony that won't get used.

In the mini-suites, you do get more space, plus foot rest for the balcony chairs.

Mini suites on Princess ships have had a bathtub, not just the stand in shower, as well as an actual small dining table on the balcony.

But, as far as we can tell at this time...  those things are no longer in the Mini's.

For the RESERVE mini-suites, I believe that there will be an actual, separate Reserve dining restaurant.

SIGNATURE mini-suites will have their Signature sun deck and the separate Signature restaurant.

• Like 1

Also note:   If one wants a larger balcony, then you would want to book a PREMIUM Deluxe balcony...  some located on the mid-ship sphere bumpout.

And, there are a few regular Deluxe balconies on that mid-ship bumpout that have larger balconies.

Or, some of the CABANA Mini-suites have larger balconies.

For those wanting to book a regular Deluxe Balcony that has a slightly larger balcony, look at some of these cabins on deck 10.

Deluxe Balcony layout followed by a Mini-Suite layout

image.thumb.png.0ae025b582c31c783371396dd367b1c2.png

Mini-suite has a lot more space as you mentioned plus.

- 2 televisions

- more storage 

- welcome glass of bubbly

There was mention of an upgraded luxury shower but that isn't in the brochureware so tbc!

And if you have choose a Reserve Collection minisuite, you have a separate restaurant on these new ships.  Whether you get a different menu is yet to be revealed. Plus Reserve Collection benefits such as priority embark/disembark, bottle of wine on embarkation day, evening canapes on request, upgraded bathrobes.

• Like 2

Also flexibility for meals. No reservations necessary but can waltz in and be seated immediately with set waiters who know what you like. We love this perk and have just paid to upgrade to this on the Emerald to New England/ Canada in September. This way we can come back from an excursion and go down when we are ready.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, dides said:

Deluxe Balcony layout followed by a Mini-Suite layout

image.thumb.png.0ae025b582c31c783371396dd367b1c2.png

Mini-suite has a lot more space as you mentioned plus.

- 2 televisions

- more storage 

- welcome glass of bubbly

There was mention of an upgraded luxury shower but that isn't in the brochureware so tbc!

And if you have choose a Reserve Collection minisuite, you have a separate restaurant on these new ships.  Whether you get a different menu is yet to be revealed. Plus Reserve Collection benefits such as priority embark/disembark, bottle of wine on embarkation day, evening canapes on request, upgraded bathrobes.

We book trips very early and select the Reserve Collection (AKA Club Class) mini suites.  Getting on and off the ship quickly, the dedicated wait staff in separate dining room (Capri on the Regal and Enchanted), and the rooms have partially shaded decks via the skywalk.  It's an expensive upgrade, but worth it for my wife and I.  We are in our mid-sixties and retired.

• Like 1

For me, the bathtub in the mini suite was the deciding factor. I have some relatively severe back issues that ruined my first cruise for me (different line). Access to a bathtub in my cabin was the primary reason I'm giving cruising another chance, followed a close second by what Princess calls the "luxury mattress topper and pillows." On my last cruise, the bed was torture, so upgrading that is another perk important to me. Who knows if it's really going to make a huge difference, but with the bathtub, I'm willing to take the chance.