Gluten free choices in the Lido?

ArizonatoFlorida

The best advice I can give is that you ask to speak to the Officer in charge for guidance at the outset. Based on my experience nothing is marked as GF except a specific dessert section. On my last cruise an arrangement was made that I was givenvthe lunch menu the day before to make a selection, and I would give a time for the meal to be prepared. I had to ask for the officer each time and he would personally bring the meal to me. With breakfast I would assess whether it looked safe to order something like bacon and egg or an omelette but I preferred to eat in the MDR whenever I could.

Eating GF in the Lido is difficult. This is an area in which HAl could do better by listing the ingredients where practical or by preparing some specific and signed GF choices. I used sometimes to get a burger from the Dive -In (without the buns because even if they had GF buns they fell apart) or a GF pizza from the Pizz Bar.

1 hour ago, ArizonatoFlorida said:

Are there gluten free choices in the Lido for breakfast and lunch?  We’ll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam over Christmas. 

From the Nieuw Amsterdam (May), the Lido Market Pasta Station has a selection of GF items for both lunch and dinner.

image.jpeg.36a66263f166cb3ce544cdf12f2a4fbf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be sure to tell them you have special dietary needs before you get on board, as well as follow up once on board.  Contact Ships Services I believe, before you board.

Helps them prepare for expected numbers of the various variety of dietary restrictions for that particular cruise.

I agree - eating gf in the Lido is difficult. One option which worked for me on an 2022 Oosterdam cruise - ask for gf pasta and red sauce at the pasta/taco station. Cook will use a clean pan to cook your pasta. I sat at a table in his view and he brought my plate to me when finished. I also safely ate tacos from this station. To reassure you, I was never sick and am very sensitive. 

My DW needs to eat gluten free.  My best advice is to find one of the sous-chefs.  I call them the tall hats.  They should be able to guide you with which foods are gluten free.  There is usually one station for breakfast and lunch where they will GF breads available. I would be careful with the desserts in the Lido.  If there is a dessert, that normally contains gluten, and it is marked as GF in the Lido, someone made a mistake.  We experienced that on our last cruise.

They can make gluten free french fries for you if you ask.  The tall hats are your friends.