Geiranger - RIB Excursion

Zeery

Firstly, I would like to thank all of the contributors for the wealth of information provided on these threads! 

I have taken time and read a lot, but I do have a question regarding a RIB tour in Geiranger.  I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how “rough” of a ride it is?  I understand it will travel fast, but is there a lot of leaving your seat and slamming back down?  I have had back problems and certainly don’t want to trigger a problem.  I have done Zodiac tours in B.C (bear watching) and in Iceland at the glaciers and had two very different experiences.  While the one in BC was manageable, the one in Iceland was uncomfortable. 

In spite of this, I am considering it because I have read how thrilling it is!  We already have Mt. Dalsnibba and Eagle Road booked to give us a wonderful view of the fjord, but I would also like to experience it up close!

Just to let you know some of our other excursions we have chosen are:

Flam – Naeroyfjord Cruise & Stegastein Viewpoint (getting view from bottom and top).  Definitely want to try and squeeze the Flam Railway in, just not sure if there will be enough time.

Stavanger - - Lysefjord Cruise

Alesund – Troll Highway

Trondheim & Bergen – on our own

We are trying to make sure our excursions are “balanced” and we are open to all input and suggestions! 

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Yup, sign me up for all of this! Very interested if a RIB tour is gonna necessitate traction the next day!!

Also OP - if you could post links to all your tours that would be super helpful. Thank you!

Edited by BuckeyeMark

On 8/24/2023 at 3:18 PM, Zeery said:

I have taken time and read a lot, but I do have a question regarding a RIB tour in Geiranger.  I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how “rough” of a ride it is?  I understand it will travel fast, but is there a lot of leaving your seat and slamming back down?  I have had back problems and certainly don’t want to trigger a problem.  I have done Zodiac tours in B.C (bear watching) and in Iceland at the glaciers and had two very different experiences.  While the one in BC was manageable, the one in Iceland was uncomfortable. 

We did our tour with FjordGuiding at Geiranger. While fast, it wasn't particularly rough. The pilot occassionally would intentionally try to cross the wake of another passing boat to give us a little bit of excitement, but certainly no slamming up and down (at least on our trip). The water within the fjord is so calm, the pilot really would need to go out of their way to give you "air time". Here's a 5 minute highlight video of our trip.

Edited by Zukini
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zukini said:

We did our tour with FjordGuiding at Geiranger. While fast, it wasn't particularly rough. The pilot occassionally would intentionally try to cross the wake of another passing boat to give us a little bit of excitement, but certainly no slamming up and down (at least on our trip). The water within the fjord is so calm, the pilot really would need to go out of their way to give you "air time". Here's a 5 minute highlight video of our trip.

Thank you so much Zukini!  This is exactly the information I am looking for!