Taxi

Cynthia Darch

24 minutes ago, Cynthia Darch said:

Off on our first saga adventure on Monday and wondered when and if the taxi firm will telephone to confirm pick up time .. not heard yet. Also as we have a 150 mile travel to Dover, what to do if the taxi doesn't turn up .. just me paranoid. 

Some confirm pick up day before & your paperwork will give you a telephone number to call if a no show which is very unlikely. They will be picking up others either before or after you if you are in a shared vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Cynthia. You will not necessarily get a call from a local taxi firm. We have been on 3 cruises with Saga in the last 2 years and we have never had a call from a driver confirming a pick up time. Mind you, on all 3 occasions the driver arrived precisely in the middle of the half hour time slot specified in the travel notes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again. I think you will find people are very divided on what to do with regarding giving the driver a tip. It is obviously very much up to the individual. We have always been very impressed with our drivers and they have all provided an excellent service. To date we have never had to share a ride and in view of the fact that our journey to Portsmouth is well over 200 miles and takes approximately 5 hours we would normally tip the driver £20 as a token of appreciation. However, as I said, it is entirely up to the individual and we have never felt that that a tip was expected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Truro001 said:

Hi again. I think you will find people are very divided on what to do with regarding giving the driver a tip. It is obviously very much up to the individual. We have always been very impressed with our drivers and they have all provided an excellent service. To date we have never had to share a ride and in view of the fact that our journey to Portsmouth is well over 200 miles and takes approximately 5 hours we would normally tip the driver £20 as a token of appreciation. However, as I said, it is entirely up to the individual and we have never felt that that a tip was expected. 

Same here. I live at a similar distance and usually tip £20 if I have a sole use car, £10 if I share (on the assumption that my fellow passengers will do similar, most do some don't).

PS Whilst Saga state that gratuities are included in the fare this only applies in respect of onboard services. It does not apply to the taxi drivers.