Istanbul Airport

TheShag

Good day. Will be connecting through Istanbul airport on a flight from Toronto to Bangkok this November. Assuming flights are all on time (!), we will have 6 hours to kill. Planned arrival time is 15:40 with departure time @21:55. As we are flying business class on both segments, we have access to Turkish Air lounge. Notwithstanding the lounge amenities, I understand that the airport is quite the experience. Looking for travelers' suggestions as to how best to spend our time there and/or in business lounge. Thanks in advance!

With a six hour connect, you have a couple of options.  One is to take one of the free tours offered by TK.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/flights/fly-different/touristanbul/

Another is to just enjoy the lounge.  You can check when you arrive if one of the suites is available for your use, since you came in from an 8+ hour flight and have a 4+ hour connect.  The lounge has numerous food stations, and a number of different seating areas.  Arrive hungry.  The one drawback is that only beer and wine are served in the lounge, so you may want to go to a bar in the airport area and have a raki.

Info on the airport itself is here:

https://www.istairport.com/en/?locale=en

Sadly, you already have your tickets.  For future reference, and for other folks, TK will provide free stopovers, including hotels, so you can get in some additional vacation along the way.  Business class tickets get you 2 or 3 days of 5 star hotels, so plenty of time to be a tourist.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/flights/stopover/

I think you will enjoy your TK experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are going to love your flights!  I would recommend buying some Turkish delight at a duty free shop, but then I love Turkish Delight! I bought some there, and it came in flavors I didn't even know existed!  I was at the airport, but alas, arrived at 12:30am, and my flight left at 7:30am, so all I got was to use a sleeping room, and a super quick breakfast of a sweet roll, and the quick purchase of my Turkish delight!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheShag said:

Thanks very much. I thought the stopover program was only for connections greater than 20 hours. 

See the TK webpages above.

Just to make sure you know the right terminology -- on an international itinerary, if your onward flight is less than 24 hours, that is a "connection" or "transfer".  If it is greater than 24 hours, it is known as a "stopover".

Unless the fare rules specifically allow it, a "stopover" in the middle of an itinerary breaks the fare into two (or more) individual components, which are added together to get the overall pricing.  You lose whatever through fare you had.  So, it would be YYZ to IST, then added to IST to BKK.  However, TK is one of a handful of carriers that allows (and encourages) stopovers on their through fares, within certain parameters.  And TK is willing to make tourism offers even if you are short of the 24 hour number.

Other places also have stopover programs.  Some include hotels and/or tours, others just allow you to break your trip for a few days for free or a nominal charge.  The specifics change from time to time, so best to always look for the current offers.  Places have included Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Auckland, Sydney, Fiji, Bogota, Toronto, Montreal, Panama, Casablanca, Helsinki, Lisbon, Dublin, Reykjavik, Bogota, Amsterdam and Paris.

Keep it in mind for future trips.  It can be a great benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great info FlyerTalker! Checked it all out. Its too bad I didn't schedule flights to take into account their stopover program. Also, although it couldn't be helped, sadly the 8 different tour programs will not fit into our arrival/departure times. I guess its longe/airport for us! It will be nice to shower and change clothes - i assume there is plenty of supply given the time we have there.

That's why I mentioned these kinds of options.  IMO, too many people just want to fly as quickly as possible from A to B.  And yet there are so many possibilities to maximize your vacation along the way.  But now you know for the future.

As for the showers -- when you go up the escalator, the shower desk is to your left.  You can check in there - depending on the situation, you can either get the shower right away or get in the queue for the room.  Personally, with that much time, I would first do a browse of the various food stations and then decide how you want your timing to work.

• Thanks 1