Late August Scotland cruise

Mkdvmz

Thanks tine-tine. My particular interest in this is that I am founder member of the In From the Cold Project. We're a voluntary group, which works with the War Graves Commission, researching the British & Commonwealth dead of both World Wars to find those who slipped through the net of official commemoration. So far, we've had 7873 "finds" accepted for commemoration with more awaiting decisions. I'm surprised that such a large number as here may have slipped through our net as well so am just checking with a colleague if we've come across the ship before. As you suggest, downplaying the disaster may have been a contributory factor why names didnt go forward. I don't want to send this thread off on a tangent but will come back and let you know what's what when I know myself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, all2me said:

It’s all about where it takes us!

Gibraltar was a port on my recent Oceania cruise. I had hoped to visit the War Graves Cemetery, to pay my respects to three men from my borough buried there. They all died of illness whilst their units were on garrison duty. Unfortunately, we were only there for a few hours and I just didnt have time. 

• Like 1

Gibraltar is so interesting! We hit it on a Med cruise years ago. Walked to the top! Yes…Less time…That’s the downside of cruising…short stops. We live in Great Lakes area of OH and we try to cram in so many places in Europe. And it’s why we hope to not lose any ports/stops on British Isle itinerary. But understand it’s always a risk…at the mercy of the seas! 

On 8/28/2023 at 10:25 AM, Harters said:

What intrigues me about the Iolaire is that the vast majority of casualties do not appear to be officially commemorated. There may be a reason for that (other than administrative error) - but research to establish that will keep me occupied for a goodly while today.  

Hi tine-tine. Thought you'd be interested to know I've completed my research. I bought a copy of MacDonald & MacLeod's book of the disaster as they claimed to have ID'd every casualty. Cross checked their list against the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and I'm pleased to confirm that everyone they list is properly commemorated. I think there must have been some techie issue when I first looked and couldnt find names. But I have three possible cases where the authors have ID'd an actual burial place while CWGC only records them on a memorial to the missing. It needs more checking out but this could mean that those three burials will become official war graves.

My thanks for this chance encounter. It's passed a few hours on the patio in the lovely sunshine we've currently got in the northwest. You'd almost think it was summer. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

@Harters, well done and thank you for your research, the families of those three men will be grateful for your efforts as will all Islanders.

We too in Scotland are proving my theory that May and September are frequently our best months as we bask in very unseasonal temperatures in the high 20's.

• Like 1

Well done history experts…very helpful to keep the remembrance alive! As far as our original post about weather and coastal port concerns…it appears warmer….maybe more fair and pleasant now in UK for September? Encouraging for our 2024 Sept cruise…

The forecasts were saying it was possible that today or tomorrow would be the hottest of the year. It has been warm but I doubt whether it will have hit 32 today. If it does, it will be remarkable - September is early autumn not high summer. But it is usually a decent month, so at least encouraging for your 2024 cruise. 

Back in 2017, we were on a cruise which stopped in the area. I had hoped to visit Sapa Flow, which was the main base for the Royal Navy in WW1. I just wanted to pay my respects to the 15 sailors from my borough who sailed off from there and lost their lives at the Battle of Jutland in 1916. None has a known grave. Unfortunately, my partner was unwell that day and I didnt want to leave her, so cancelled the excursion at the last minute. Another time, hopefully. 

5 hours ago, Harters said:

I had hoped to visit Sapa Flow,

I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant Scapa Flow. I was there this summer and enjoyed our time there. I'm no historian, but love military history and related places. Enjoyed the Italian chapel there. 

• Like 1