Volume of items of clothing - travelling to Antarctica, help please:)

Emzyyx

Hello, I am travelling to Antarctica in November this year and am looking at purchasing the clothing needed for Antarctica. 

The voyage we will be on means we will have 6 full days in Antarctica (excluding the Drake Passage)

I have been doing lots of reading and have a good idea of what to get, but volumes of items I am finding harder.

I was thinking 3 sets of base layers, 2 sets of gloves and glove liners, 1 pair of waterproof trousers, 6 sets of socks and sock liners.

Does that sound about right, or am I over or under doing the volumes? I'll also be getting other bits like hat/goggles etc. 

Would I also need some kind of normal trousers to wear over the base layer and under the waterproof trousers? If so, what kind of normal trousers would be best? I usually wear thin jeans that I find very comfy. 

And final question... Other than a base layer and the parker jacket, what other "top" should I wear? Would it be a normal long sleeved top, or a casual jumper, or a fleece, or a waterproof top? The Atlas website suggests wearing a "windbreaker" but I'm from the UK and not sure what this is or if in your experience it is required. 

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to get it right 🙂

I have not done an Antarctica expedition yet but have done an Arctic expedition with the Atlas World Traveller a few weeks ago and I think your list looks good. Antarctica may be a little bit colder than the Arctic but probably not by much. I just wore a set of long underwear under my waterproof trousers and that was adequate and kept me warm. I just wore that combination all day during expedition days and it worked fine. Here is a link to the product I got on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermajohn-Thermal-Underwear-Fleece-X-Large/dp/B018DQI504/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2BSNDJJOHI5C1&keywords=Thermajohn%2BLong%2BJohns%2BThermal%2BUnderwear%2Bfor%2BMen%2BFleece%2BLined%2BBase%2BLayer%2BSet%2Bfor%2BCold%2BWeather&qid=1693315231&sprefix=thermajohn%2Blong%2Bjohns%2Bthermal%2Bunderwear%2Bfor%2Bmen%2Bfleece%2Blined%2Bbase%2Blayer%2Bset%2Bfor%2Bcold%2Bweather%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1

For the expedition days, the parka and vest they give you to keep is more than adequate to keep you warm and I didn't wear any other type of jacket or windbreaker with it but just had my long underwear top and some type of long sleeve fleece top of some kind over the long underwear top.

You may want a windbreaker type of coat with a hood for the non-expedition days when you may be out on the deck when it's windy, chilly or rainy. I found my windbreaker underneath the vest they gave me worked well for those days. Here is a link to a windbreaker type product on Amazon for an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Glennaker-Packable-Jacket-X-Large/dp/B0058YHL4G/ref=sr_1_6?crid=4G84O7ZNNOFH&keywords=windbreaker&qid=1693314935&sprefix=windbreak%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

Have fun on your cruise. You will love Atlas. We really enjoyed our cruise. Feel free to ask any other questions. We're planning to do an Antarctica expedition with Atlas in Jan 2024. We did a "drive by" Antarctica cruise with Holland America in Jan of this year and spent 4 days along the northern peninsula of Antarctica and loved seeing all the whales, penguins and other marine life but really want to step foot on the continent!

Safe Travels!

Jeff

On 8/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, Emzyyx said:

And final question... Other than a base layer and the parker jacket, what other "top" should I wear? Would it be a normal long sleeved top, or a casual jumper, or a fleece, or a waterproof top? The Atlas website suggests wearing a "windbreaker" but I'm from the UK and not sure what this is or if in your experience it is required. 

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to get it right 🙂

A windbreaker is a jacket made from a fabric that blocks the wind from penetrating through to your body (It can get very windy sailing the Drake passage if you decide you want to venture outside for a look-see).  I would think that the included parka is also windproof and would work fine if you're okay with wearing it around the ship in addition to when going on an excursion.

You could also search "What to pack for Antarctica" on YouTube and your preferred search engine for some videos and ideas. 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, jeffyd said:

I have not done an Antarctica expedition yet but have done an Arctic expedition with the Atlas World Traveller a few weeks ago and I think your list looks good. Antarctica may be a little bit colder than the Arctic but probably not by much. I just wore a set of long underwear under my waterproof trousers and that was adequate and kept me warm. I just wore that combination all day during expedition days and it worked fine. Here is a link to the product I got on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermajohn-Thermal-Underwear-Fleece-X-Large/dp/B018DQI504/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2BSNDJJOHI5C1&keywords=Thermajohn%2BLong%2BJohns%2BThermal%2BUnderwear%2Bfor%2BMen%2BFleece%2BLined%2BBase%2BLayer%2BSet%2Bfor%2BCold%2BWeather&qid=1693315231&sprefix=thermajohn%2Blong%2Bjohns%2Bthermal%2Bunderwear%2Bfor%2Bmen%2Bfleece%2Blined%2Bbase%2Blayer%2Bset%2Bfor%2Bcold%2Bweather%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1&psc=1

For the expedition days, the parka and vest they give you to keep is more than adequate to keep you warm and I didn't wear any other type of jacket or windbreaker with it but just had my long underwear top and some type of long sleeve fleece top of some kind over the long underwear top.

You may want a windbreaker type of coat with a hood for the non-expedition days when you may be out on the deck when it's windy, chilly or rainy. I found my windbreaker underneath the vest they gave me worked well for those days. Here is a link to a windbreaker type product on Amazon for an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Glennaker-Packable-Jacket-X-Large/dp/B0058YHL4G/ref=sr_1_6?crid=4G84O7ZNNOFH&keywords=windbreaker&qid=1693314935&sprefix=windbreak%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

Have fun on your cruise. You will love Atlas. We really enjoyed our cruise. Feel free to ask any other questions. We're planning to do an Antarctica expedition with Atlas in Jan 2024. We did a "drive by" Antarctica cruise with Holland America in Jan of this year and spent 4 days along the northern peninsula of Antarctica and loved seeing all the whales, penguins and other marine life but really want to step foot on the continent!

Safe Travels!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thank you so much for your reply, this has been extremely helpful! 

Do you think I have the right volume of items (i.e. 3 sets of baselayers, 1 pair of waterproof trousers etc).

I may need to invest in a couple of fleeces as I usually wear just normal jumpers/hoodies but think a fleece would help keep in the warmth!

That's great to know what a windbreaker is! I already have one so that will be great (a windbreaker in England is something some people bring to the beach!) 

I suppose it's the unknown so your reassurance has been really helpful. Thank you again, and have a fantastic time when you go again 😊

19 hours ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

A windbreaker is a jacket made from a fabric that blocks the wind from penetrating through to your body (It can get very windy sailing the Drake passage if you decide you want to venture outside for a look-see).  I would think that the included parka is also windproof and would work fine if you're okay with wearing it around the ship in addition to when going on an excursion.

You could also search "What to pack for Antarctica" on YouTube and your preferred search engine for some videos and ideas. 

Thank you for your help - fortunately I already have a windbreaker (now I know what one is) and will be bringing it with my for my other travels as I think it will be chilly in Ushuaia! 

9 hours ago, Michael_A said:

I found this woman's packing tips to be very relevant....

This has been a brilliant watch, thank you! I love how they give money saving tips as well, as my shopping list has been stacking up! 

3 hours ago, Emzyyx said:

Hi Jeff, thank you so much for your reply, this has been extremely helpful! 

Do you think I have the right volume of items (i.e. 3 sets of baselayers, 1 pair of waterproof trousers etc).

I may need to invest in a couple of fleeces as I usually wear just normal jumpers/hoodies but think a fleece would help keep in the warmth!

That's great to know what a windbreaker is! I already have one so that will be great (a windbreaker in England is something some people bring to the beach!) 

I suppose it's the unknown so your reassurance has been really helpful. Thank you again, and have a fantastic time when you go again 😊

You're welcome! Glad it was helpful. And yes, I think you have the right volume of items. The only other thing I forgot to mention was having a nice warm gaiter around your neck to keep you warm. The best are the merino wool types, which would also be best for the fleece type items you were talking about investing in but the merino can be more expensive so a regular fleece top would work.  Here is a link to a merino wool gaiter for an example. It keeps your neck warm and if the winds whip up while you're out on the zodiac boat, you can cover your face/mouth with it too.

https://www.amazon.com/Merino-Gaiter-Women-Forest-Green/dp/B09BG76VQ6/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?crid=2X7RF5U6KF0IR&keywords=women's%2Bcold%2Bweather%2Bneck%2Bgaiters&qid=1693443745&sprefix=gaiters%2Bfor%2Bcold%2Bweather%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-19-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&th=1

Have fun when you go as well!