Viking Air from Manaus to Toronto

endlessflight

We are going on the Caribbean/Amazon trip on March 3, 2024. Our flights are free. Flight back from Manaus goes from MAO to São Paulo (which is 4 hours south of Manaus) and then 10 hours to NYC and onward to Toronto. Seems to be the only flight available. When I look on MVJ the alternative, which is basically the same, is an additional $850. Asked about upgrading and apparently this can’t be done until ticketing and then at that point if you can’t upgrade it is too late. Anyone have a decent flight itinerary for this route. Wondering if perhaps the “free” means no choice. Agent told me to call back in a few weeks to see if anything else comes available. Doesn’t sound too promising.

31 minutes ago, endlessflight said:

We are going on the Caribbean/Amazon trip on March 3, 2024. Our flights are free. Flight back from Manaus goes from MAO to São Paulo (which is 4 hours south of Manaus) and then 10 hours to NYC and onward to Toronto. Seems to be the only flight available. When I look on MVJ the alternative, which is basically the same, is an additional $850. Asked about upgrading and apparently this can’t be done until ticketing and then at that point if you can’t upgrade it is too late. Anyone have a decent flight itinerary for this route. Wondering if perhaps the “free” means no choice. Agent told me to call back in a few weeks to see if anything else comes available. Doesn’t sound too promising.

Should join the Roll Call for your trip.  Folks are talking about a Viking charter flight to Miami and then flights home from there.  Some cruises it included overnight hotel in Miami, dinner and flight home next day.

On Google Flights there are many options.

We search our flights this way, purchase Air Plus and then call with our desired flight itinerary.

Now, you have to note that sometimes a flight that you want may be outside of Viking's contract rates and we have paid a bit more for a flight in the past that met our needs.

Have you tried looking through Google Flights?

image.thumb.png.9b5221d2f2b4045b2dd20a9c95dad79c.png

You might want to look at this topic in the Cruise Air forum:

Plus here is my take from that thread on Google Flights:

There is some data processing from ITA that is incorporated into Flights.  But I concur that they are different products, designed for different users.  I found Flights to be perfect for the once a year flyer who just wants a simple, adequate click-and-go product.  But it just doesn't have the power and flexibility to really delve into travel planning, especially for complex or varied itineraries.

In terms of output, I find that Flights will often suppress itineraries utilizing multiple carriers, or with overnights or longer connections.  For example, it did not show options through IST where one could take advantage of the Turkish Airlines free tour or free hotel options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, endlessflight said:

@endlessflight

We are departing Manaus on January 31st.  We have a single booking for this trip with American Airlines that we  booked directly with AA.  It consists of a nonstop flight from Manuaus to Miami at a decent time and then the second leg to Toronto the next morning.  We paid for premium (basically that means the seat between us is empty).  We were not able to book it as two separate bookings; it had to be one.  On our cruise many people are returning to Miami on Viking charters.  It’s possible they will do the same for your cruise.

54 minutes ago, endlessflight said:

Thanks for that info…I’m going to ask about it.

As TayanaLorna suggested you might want to join the roll call. Here’s the link

We try to stay up to date with all the roll calls for this cruise. There’s a ton of good info there.