Which Europe Itinerary?

cruiseorbust

We did the Baltics cruise on Century.You can arrange your tours to fit what your group likes to do.I recommend the on off bus as you go at your own pace and do as much or as little as you like.If your teens like to swim plan on going latter in the summer as it was too cool to swim in the pool in early June

We did the Baltic on Century and thought it was tremendous. We did the eastern Mediterranean, and found it very good. I'll admit to a bias--grandparents were Scandinavian. While in Germany in late 50s, we toured in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and a bit of Finland, so this was a return trip. Found St Petersburg absolutely fascinating--first time behind what used to be the iron curtain.

Think you'll enjoy either. Keep in mind that cruising and day stops really justs let you dip your toe--not enough time to really get the feel of a country.

It really depends what you are looking for.

I have cruised a lot in the Mediterrean and it has a lot to offer. Wonderful weather many places of outstanding interest and history and beauty. Large cities wonderful Churches Museums etc. different countries and

If you do the Baltics you will visit places of great culture beautiful cities and once more different nationalities and their customs. I loved Stockholm and Tallin as well as St Petersburg.

Weather may be more unrealiable.

If you visit the Norwegian Fjords Then again it is an area of outstanding beauty but if you want culture then this is not the best cruise to take. Norway is a wonderful country with wonderful people.

Probably for me the Mediterrean is my favourite and I can revisit many places without ever tiring of them. My particular favourites are Dubrovinik and Venice. Rome is also a wonderful city to visit.

I think all you can do on a first visit look at the itineraries and then try to decide where you most want to visit.

It might be a good idea to sail from one Port and finish in another. Then to add on a few days at either end. EG Celebrity and Princess have cruises which start in Venice/Barcelona and end in either Barcelona/Venice.

One thing for sure it will give you a taste for more!

Last June we cruised the Mediterranean on the Millennium and it was the best cruise and best vacation of my life.

We started in Venice, spent a couple of days there before the cruise, then on to Croatia, Santorini, Athens, Naples, Florence, Rome, Nice/Monaco, and finally came to rest in Barcelona. Having never been to Europe before I was in awe the whole time. We booked private tours, with the information I got here at Cruise Critic, at every port and we saw so much more and did so much more than the average cruise-mate. At dinner each night it was almost embarrassing to tell others what a great time we had because they often had complaints about their cruise excursions or only got to see half of what we did.

We took our son with us for a graduation from College gift and he had a wonderful time. I just can't say enough good things about that cruise. Everything about it was near perfect!! I can't wait to do this again!

I've yet to do a Europe cruise and plan on it for later in 2007. The one that Margie mentions above was one that caught my eye. An overnight in Venice and Barcelona and it includes many ports I would love to see (including Dubrovnik). It's 12 nights in the Summer, but I think there is a 14 night one later in the year too that takes in another couple of ports. You may find that with two teenagers there will be more for them to do on Millennium than say Galaxy, but Europe is typically port intensive so that may not matter quite so much. The Millie cruise would be my choice.

Phil

Archived