Positivity Required!

Claret and Blue

I've been here a very long time, and a near constant theme among some posters is how Celebrity is getting worse. Yes, things change, some things improve, some don't. When I first started cruising there was no way to communicate with home; I'd use precious port time to jam into a phone booth to talk to my parents for three minutes (local currency needed).  TV had  2 channels playing the same movies on a loop.  A small balcony cabin cost $5000 then - $10,000 in today's dollars. There was no food after 2 pm, even the hamburger grill closed,  until 4 or 5.  You got assigned a table - early seating was too early, late too late - and if your table mates didn't show you ate by yourselves at a table for 8.  I can go on.  Enjoy your cruise. Almost everyone does, regardless what they post here. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

They have a selection of ports, but the Tokaji and Sauternes are not offered these days — not since Covid.  More’s the pity! The 20 yr port is nice though. 

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can anyone answer OP’s question about dessert wine?  I would also like to know.

@zitsky, I think you missed the post before yours as it is on the previous page. 

My experience has been the same. And the 20 year Taylor's Tawny can be hard to find. 

I really miss the Tokaji! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, denby said:

Beat antidote to all this negativity is to join your Roll Call. There you will find lots of happy people anticipating a wonderful cruise!

Agree 100%!

It's actually a breath of fresh air going to our roll call for October 2023 on Solstice from Sydney......lot's of excited people looking forward to our trip!

I think we sometimes forget where we all were a few years ago and many of us longed to be on a cruise,  how lucky are we, still to be here and having a cruise to look forward to!

Yes, things have changed in cruising, but almost everything has. 😊

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hcat said:

I have been reviewing and posting on CC for many yrs and I am not a troll!

in my opinion, some of the folks who criticize negative opinions can also be quite annoying..I avoid their snarky comments.

To the OP:

best to go with a open mind and an  awareness that some of the changes will not be to one's liking....but other things may be a pleasant surprise!

I believe you Americans call these people 'cheerleaders'. In the UK we call them 'fan boys'. 

I ignore these people too. Maybe it's because I'm European. We tend to be objective and when writing reviews will cover both positive and negative aspects. We believe in free speech too, so if people are unhappy with changes that impact them then they should be allowed to speak out! Some people need to learn that if people don't voice their concerns directly to staff, via the post cruise survey and to a lesser extent on social media that things won't get better. 

I've got to add too that those who describe Celebrity these days as 'awesome' and claim everything is 'top notch' can't possibly have high expectations in life! There's always room for improvement. Though it's a mainstream line, so people also need realistic expectations too It's not Regent and it's not Silversea. Although when you compare current suite pricing, maybe it should be! 

But far more importantly, a cruise is what you make of it. It's who you are with and what you do which will make or break it. The OP should never forget that.  Even with all of the cutbacks to service, you can still have a great time.  

So my advice to Claret And Blue is to make sure you tell your wait staff, maitre d', room attendant and shore excursions team exactly what YOU want and let them make it happen. If you're unhappy with anything, speak up and I'm sure you'll have the cruise you want. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

I think what others are saying here is right on. Some of the experiences are changing but I wouldn't say that you would necessarily notice if you are new to Celebrity. The cruise lines are always changing and evolving but I trust the product of the beautiful ships, excellent staff, good food (in my opinion from my last cruise), and a relaxing atmosphere. No guarantees of course, but I think a positive attitude will take you a long way. Plus, for good reason, folks are more likely to bring their complaints than their good times so take it all with a grain of salt as well. 

Unfortunately we are not new to cruising and having cruised Thompson (TUI), MSC, P&O, Azamara & Celebrity, we found Celebrity was our best fit. Part of that was down to the great food & service in the evenings in the main dining rooms. Cutting back on quality cuts of meat & fish, number of options, up charges and dessert wines just cheapens the brand in my opinion and will make us rethink in the future. I'm just hoping that these are the only cut backs we really notice. We will have a great cruise. We always do. I just thought Celebrity were a cut above and left the nickel and diming to other lines.  

10 hours ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

They have a selection of ports, but the Tokaji and Sauternes are not offered these days — not since Covid.  More’s the pity! The 20 yr port is nice though. 

Shame, I asked as we could not get any on our last cruise in February and that was in Luminae! We're back in cattle class this cruise so no chance then 🤣

47 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

We're back in cattle class this cruise so no chance then

Shame, I asked as we could not get any on our last cruise

" cattle class" ???

Disgrace to use that term !!

Just because some of us choose to cruise in lower than the Retreat, we don't deserve to be referred to as " cattle " !!!

"Shame, I asked as we could not get any on our last cruise " .

Isn't that too bad--- You asked and someone said " No ".

FYI--- " Strength in Business is the ability to say " NO "---

Good on Celebrity .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

" cattle class" ???

Disgrace to use that term !!

Just because some of us choose to cruise in lower than the Retreat, we don't deserve to be referred to as " cattle " !!!

"Shame, I asked as we could not get any on our last cruise " .

Isn't that too bad--- You asked and someone said " No ".

FYI--- " Strength in Business is the ability to say " NO "---

Good on Celebrity .

lol

You're easily triggered!!

My last cruise was my first time in a Celebrity suite as we got a great price.

I know my level.....and it's in cattle class with a proper balcony, not one of those opening windows on Apex class 😉

(PS it's just a figure of speech, Cockney parlance if you will, forgive me)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

1---You're easily triggered!!

2---Cockney parlance

1--- Only when necessary--- ( LOL )

2--- We ( I ) don't talk that "lingo" here --- unless it's minus 40 in the winter and/or our hockey team loses -----again-- ( LOL ).

C'est la vie ( That's life ).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

lol

You're easily triggered!!

I know my level.....and it's in cattle class with a proper balcony, not one of those opening windows on Apex class 😉

Moooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claret and Blue said:

Shame, I asked as we could not get any on our last cruise in February and that was in Luminae! We're back in cattle class this cruise so no chance then 🤣

Actually being referred to as cattle is very derogatory. As someone in their 30s travelling solo there is no way I could justify the price of double occupancy in retreat. Anyways I won’t pay more to be with a bunch of typically older more boring couples. As I’ve said in the past on here thank god people people aren’t as nasty on cruises as they are on CC especially the celebrity area.

6 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Never heard the phrase ‘Fan Boy’ and I’m in the UK 😆 

In pc/videogaming circles, whether American, UK, or European, 'fanboy' is a very common term. 

Edited by karmamule
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Actually being referred to as cattle is very derogatory. As someone in their 30s travelling solo there is no way I could justify the price of double occupancy in retreat. Anyways I won’t pay more to be with a bunch of typically older more boring couples. As I’ve said in the past on here thank god people people aren’t as nasty on cruises as they are on CC especially the celebrity area.

.....and I repeat

(PPS Don't go on Twitter if you think this forum is nasty! This forum is like a walled flower garden in comparison 😂

15 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

Typically older and more boring?  Glad you aren't meeting nasty people on cruises. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Typically older and more boring?  Glad you aren't meeting nasty people on cruises. 

I like to dance into the evening and have fun at silent disco etc. this isn’t the vibe of retreat and that’s great for those who enjoy the retreat. Just stating it’s not the place for me but that doesn’t make me cattle. Also overall celebrity guests are older. How many people on here complain that the marketing material specifically targeted women in their 30s recently. 

I will agree my words chosen would not be the ones I would normally choose since I am usually a little more diplomatic but it’s a reflection of being called cattle by OP after taking the time to say positive things.

25 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

You know, you complain about nastiness then call us boring and old.  We are NOT old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I like to dance into the evening and have fun at silent disco etc. this isn’t the vibe of retreat and that’s great for those who enjoy the retreat. Just stating it’s not the place for me but that doesn’t make me cattle. Also overall celebrity guests are older. How many people on here complain that the marketing material specifically targeted women in their 30s recently. 

I will agree my words chosen would not be the ones I would normally choose since I am usually a little more diplomatic but it’s a reflection of being called cattle by OP after taking the time to say positive things.

I was describing the class I belong to. You all assumed I believed I belonged to a 'higher' class. You were wrong. You just need to chill and not jump to conclusions. 

Any way might bump into you at the next silent disco if I can manoeuvre my zimmer frame onto the dance floor🤣 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You know, you complain about nastiness then call us boring and old.  We are NOT old.

I did not call you old I said “typically older” there is a big difference. It’s a general view not a specific one reflecting each individual cruiser. Also I would not say that being older is a bad thing at all. Enjoy the expendable income you’ve created in your successful lifetime, people my age have not reached that stage in our lives yet.

2 minutes ago, Claret and Blue said:

I was describing the class I belong to. You all assumed I believed I belonged to a 'higher' class. You were wrong. You just need to chill and not jump to conclusions. 

Any way might bump into you at the next silent disco if I can manoeuvre my zimmer frame onto the dance floor🤣 

The assumption is made because people don’t usually call themselves cattle. Can you imagine calling a stranger (woman in particular) on the street a cow 😱. Language is powerful but I understand your intent was not what may have been perceived.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

Just for those who didn’t understand the English sense of humour 

IMG_2927.jpeg

I clued in a few minutes ago why it used to be referred to as “steerage”. 

This morning I was grabbing coffee at the general store and someone escaped the nearby business. Had it been a cow it would have made this morning sidebar funnier.

IMG_4997.jpeg

• Haha 1