Alaska - What to pack?? (Help me so we don't overpack!)

Cheadle_Chick

Packing for our Alaska cruise and I'm just wondering what we should pack for outerwear for early September in Alaska? I'm thinking we don't need full blown winter coats? Rain coats and a light packable jacket for the kids? I'm a notorious overpacker and I'm really trying hard to avoid it this time. Planning to only pack half of what I normally would and use the laundry service. 

If you look around the Alaska board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

you will see many discussions on clothing. The key is layers, with the outside layer being wind and waterproof.

In June a couple of years ago, I wore one of my warmest coats at Hubbard Glacier. That may not be a "full blown winter coat", but in the SF Bay Area, its a fairly serious winter coat. I don't know your definition of winter coat. 

It will also help to know where you're flying from.  When we were in Alaska in May, I was on the top deck with flip flops and a sweatshirt, since I live in the Pacific Northwest. I saw others from Florida who were in full on winter jackets with fur. It just depends on your tolerance to colder and damp!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you look around the Alaska board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

you will see many discussions on clothing. The key is layers, with the outside layer being wind and waterproof.

In June a couple of years ago, I wore one of my warmest coats at Hubbard Glacier. That may not be a "full blown winter coat", but in the SF Bay Area, its a fairly serious winter coat. I don't know your definition of winter coat. 

Thank you! I had a peek but wasn't sure exactly where to look. Much appreciated!! 

We're from Canada and our "winter" is -20-30 celsius (-4F to -22F). 

We're cruising this Saturday, so far the forecast for Juneau on the day we're due to be there is 11C/52F degrees  with a 50% chance of rain, Skagway is 14C/57F degrees with partly cloudy and Ketchikan is 14C/57F degrees and cloudy. 

I've got a waterproof rain jacket, a nice quilted vest and various layers but not a great "fall" coat, so was wondering if I should go pick one up quickly before we leave. 

7 minutes ago, psuboater said:

It will also help to know where you're flying from.  When we were in Alaska in May, I was on the top deck with flip flops and a sweatshirt, since I live in the Pacific Northwest. I saw others from Florida who were in full on winter jackets with fur. It just depends on your tolerance to colder and damp!

We are flying from Alberta to Vancouver. It's dry and warm here currently. We're used to COLD but dry in the winter. 

I've just got an unlined rain jacket, a nice quilted vest and various layers. Think that'd be ok? Or should I be going to find a fall jacket before we leave? Found a nice North Face one the other day for 50% off that's waterproof and has a removeable fleece liner in it that's quite thick.

• Like 1

Just got back.  Of course you know layers.  Fleece rain jacket was my buddy as well as a fleece jacket and sweat shirt.   Take along maybe 2 long sleeves and mostly short sleeves.  Jeans, sweat pants, bathing suit, 1 pair of shorts, leggings. Try to limit your night time to a couple pair of pants and different tops. Really no one cares!  IF I did my 7 day again, I would have only taken 3-4 dressy tops and the same 2 black pants. WATERPROOF SHOES! hiking socks.   Hope this helps. And... we are from MN.  PS.  Glad we took a hat and hubby took gloves.  throw a portable umbrella in there too, Count on everyday being raining, that way if it doesn't, it will be even more lovely. Most of our crew carried a back pack.  We did a sling bag and wish it was a back pack.  Depending on what you are doing, take snacks.  

Edited by Diggerof4
  • Like 5