Oceania "Smart Casual"

DeeDee Groff

I have never sailed with Oceania, but I have a 30-day cruise in the spring, and I would really appreciate any suggestions on the "Smart Casual" women's attire for dinner.

Am I looking to pack cocktail dresses, dressy pantsuits, tops with bling paired with silk pants, or some other clothing items?

Thank you for sharing!

Just off 17 days on Insignia. I would say any of the above you mention would be fine. In Oceania's version of the main dining room, most women in the evenings wore tailored pants and tops ranging from a silk blouse to a more dressy shell and jacket. I noticed some lovely shawls. Cocktail dresses were not uncommon. In the specialty restaurants I would say some were a bit dressier but by no means anything like formal. For men, I'd say about 40-50% wore a jacket on a given night, but that may have partly been due to the cooler weather of our cruise (Iceland, Greenland).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Going to Dinner" on a cruise is a highlight for many.  The first night, wear things like  tops with a little bling, or a scarf or sheer 'jacket' over a tank, a silk dress ... all fitting well and in lovely fabric are what you want.  Bring some nice jewelry, avoid anything garish or showy, just look a little more special than you do during the day.  Cruise dinners are perfect for strappy heels that can dress up any outfit without looking like you tried too hard.  Bring an evening bag.  I don't know if 'pantsuits' are still in fashion or not.  You'll get a good idea of what everyone's wearing that first night, then you can bring out the glitz if you like.  I always have several days pre and post-cruise and I don't want more than one suitcase ... I get a great deal of mileage from black silk ... tunic over pants; and use scarves, jewelry and shawls to change my look.  I've never owned much glitz, but admire it on others ... you should bring it if you like it!  

Edited by jsn55
  • Thanks 1

While you certainly can bring glitz for your Oceania cruise if you like, it’s not at all necessary. I bring black pants and a few different tops. Sometimes I bring a simple black dress and change it up with jewelry or scarf. I never waste the luggage space with a cocktail dress. Remember you’re never going to see these people again. When we do cruise with friends I remind myself that they’ve already seen most of my wardrobe!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

I have never sailed with Oceania, but I have a 30-day cruise in the spring, and I would really appreciate any suggestions on the "Smart Casual" women's attire for dinner.

Am I looking to pack cocktail dresses, dressy pantsuits, tops with bling paired with silk pants, or some other clothing items?

Thank you for sharing!

I’m in the dress up group. No, not necessary on Oceania, but we enjoy being a little dressier on a cruise. My husband always packs a sport coat and/or suit and I always have a few dresses that could be classified as cocktail dresses. No gowns or tuxedos for us, but maybe a step up from country casual. By no means is that required on Oceania, but you certainly won’t be out of place. 

Just do you and enjoy the cruise!

k😀🛳🍷

• Thanks 1