Port Days on Encore/Ovation

whystayhome

Just winding up 36 days on Quest - Dover to Manhattan. Great cruise.  Only issue is lack of structured activity on port day afternoons, as some of the ports were just good for a few hours’ walk around in the morning and the afternoons were largely unstructured, often until dinner time.  In one port, it was raining so hard many people didn’t bother to go ashore, but still, there were no organized activities.   I can’t recall if on the bigger ships, there is more in the way of hosted activities - even a popcorn movie - in port.

This is not an issue for me, but Mr. Why Stay Home is a different kettle of fish and is reluctant to sail on the Quest again, even though I have a spectacular itinerary booked for us in June 2024 - Lisbon to Stockholm.

So…Any info about port day activities on the bigger ships would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Linda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whystayhome said:

Just winding up 36 days on Quest - Dover to Manhattan. Great cruise.  Only issue is lack of structured activity on port day afternoons, as some of the ports were just good for a few hours’ walk around in the morning and the afternoons were largely unstructured, often until dinner time.  In one port, it was raining so hard many people didn’t bother to go ashore, but still, there were no organized activities.   I can’t recall if on the bigger ships, there is more in the way of hosted activities - even a popcorn movie - in port.

This is not an issue for me, but Mr. Why Stay Home is a different kettle of fish and is reluctant to sail on the Quest again, even though I have a spectacular itinerary booked for us in June 2024 - Lisbon to Stockholm.

So…Any info about port day activities on the bigger ships would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Linda

This issue can depend on which cruise director you get as they all have different levels.

Port days are challenging as most guest will be ashore at least until lunchtime when they all come crawling back for the included food and booze.

It's pot luck on how things are scheduled but generally there will not be things happening if guests are not expected to attend them.

A  bit like the restaurant opening for lunch on a port day.

• Like 1

@Mr Luxury funny that you observe guests “crawling back….”  I’ve never noticed (as I rarely return for lunch) and, in fact, have always found others on excursions we have been on who want to enjoy local cuisine and drinks at a local restaurant.  And I have known so many who have not gone on an excursion who just want to go “off campus” to a local restaurant for lunch, bar, dinner, etc.  Odd that you perceive the ones as “crawling back” to the very same “included food and booze” that you are eating and drinking.   

Edited by Hobar
Punctution
  • Like 4

We love spending port times exploring. We just do not  plan on returning to ship on a port day for lunch….unless it’s a really unexpectedly bad port experience (Cartona IT for example), where we find ourselves back on ship early….and then, we do not expect to be entertained. We just do not travel for that expectation. We travel to experience as much together in port as possible….and if that doesn’t work out….we do not expect the ship to entertain us. I think if we needed that, we would likely look to larger, as in a lot larger, ships. We have only traveled on Quest with Seabourn, and found ourselves with chosen port days twice. We enjoyed them thoroughly. 
We also did similar on Viking ships, which are larger. When we found a port was more suited to our making it a ship day, and we did not expect organized activities there as well. We are booked on Encore next year….and honestly not expecting to change our expectations. 
That said, we mostly always DIY or book private tours. So maybe we roll a little differently. I hope you enjoy 

Edited by Vineyard View

6 hours ago, Hobar said:

@Mr Luxury funny that you observe guests “crawling back….”  I’ve never noticed (as I rarely return for lunch) and, in fact, have always found others on excursions we have been on who want to enjoy local cuisine and drinks at a local restaurant.  And I have known so many who have not gone on an excursion who just want to go “off campus” to a local restaurant for lunch, bar, dinner, etc.  Odd that you perceive the ones as “crawling back” to the very same “included food and booze” that you are eating and drinking.   

I do notice many things that others do not.

I am generally on deck at lunchtime after getting off the ship early and then I return.

I notice many coming back to the ship at lunchtime and going to the patio grill or Colonnade and of course many of the guests I know.

I do not eat breakfast or lunch on a ship,neither do I drink alcohol during the day.

Dinner is my one meal of the day with good wine.