Cabin Pressure?

Puppies x 2

Any suggestions to help with cabin pressure changes during take-off and landings ?? I have been told to chew gum, but wondering if there is an alternative to gum?

You can try a product called Ear-Planes. They are little ear plugs that you place in your ear about 30 minutes before takeoff and keep in the whole flight.

I've found that most of the current jets in service equalize the pressure on the ground so that there is no noticeable ear-popping or the like any longer.

I remember the days when my ears would pop but no longer.

Any suggestions to help with cabin pressure changes during take-off and landings ?? I have been told to chew gum, but wondering if there is an alternative to gum?
Yawn. Not a tiny little yawn that you can hide behind your hand, but a great bit see-all-the-way-to-your-tonsils-and-beyond yawn. It may look ungainly, but it is a very good way of opening up the tubes inside your head that do the job of equalising pressure inside and outside your ears.

Thank you. The ear planes sound like something I might try. I am affected by the simplest of pressure changes, so much so that it has been years since taking an elevator. The last elevator trip I took was only 2 floors and required a trip to the emergency room. And a horrible experience that was. Discharged 3 days later and still to this day, I will not forget how disoriented and dizzy I was. Now I take the stairs, even to the 15 th floor to the Doctors office. Opening the seal on a mason jar gives me an unbalanced startle, and my ears pop. I have been doing the Chin hits your chest yawns for years now, much to the amusement of my kids, but it only helps so much. I am usually left with a migrane and loud ringing in my ears. Do you think if I put the ear plugs in and did the embarrassing yawns it will still open the "tubes inside my head" or would it only work empty headed so too speak?

Neil.........Thanks, I have tried this too, and I get about the same relief as when I do a deep type yawn. But maybe with a combination of remedies I might find relief.

Caribbean Dreams.......Unfortunately I can not take decongestants due to medical problems. :( The suggestion was great, it's just not great for me.

If you can think of anything else, drug-free preferably, please post your ideas.

As I've gotten older, I seem to have more problems with my ears when flying. I've found that if I take a decongestant a couple of hrs. before flying and use the Ear-Planes, I do so much better. I've found them at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS and Target. They run about $5-6.

Hi,

My close friend had the same thing happen, where she was in an elevator, and became dizzy and ill and had to go to the hospital. She said the dizziness and nausea were absolutely awful! She would also have ear pain and dizziness in other situations such as flying, or riding in the car. Her doctor diagnosed her with vertigo, and prescribed a drug called "Antivert", and she has been fine ever since. Not sure if this would help, but just thought I would mention it since it sounded a bit similar to what you are going through.

Thanks Trinity1.....I asked my Doctor about Anivert today and he says its not for me. I have had a Grand Mal Seizure in the past couple of years and it has left me with the inability to take many drugs. {they are not sure what brought on the seizure in the first place}. Until the Medical Mavels figure out the exact cause, they prefer the drug-free approach. With the exception of Dilantin, to prevent further episodes, which I am in the process of being weined off, I seem to have no choice other than drug-free alternatives. I thank you for thinking of me and offering advise.

You're welcome. I hope that they find out why and can help you. My Dad had a Grand Mal seizure when he was in his 50's, out of nowhere, and the docs couldn't figure out why. They put him on Dilantin as well, and he hated taking it. Seizures are definitely a scary thing.

Best of luck to you, and please take care. God bless.

Archived