Shore excursions availability

markf

I just booked a cruise, leaving in 6 weeks, and I am finding that many of the excursions are sold out.

I am hoping that they may reopen when on board,am I correct?

Since this is a Mediterranean cruise, excursions are more important than a Caribbean cruise.

Yes, excursions in the Mediterranean are very important for me, which is why when I plan a special cruise there based on destinations, I usually book more than a year in advance, both cruise and excursions.

No one can say if more excursions will open up, because it depends on your ports of call, and the availability of transportation and guides.  However, you may want to check every day before your cruise in case spaces open up, and then also once on board. Also review your first, second and third choices.

But, even the best laid plans can be subject to change!  Just two months ago I was in Istanbul, and my shore excursion had been confirmed more than seven months in advance.  The minute I stepped on the ship they sent me a notification that they were cancelling the excursion as the port time was just not long enough to fulfill all the components.  Yes, they (Princess) probably knew that well before we sailed, but they waited until we were on board!! They then gave me the cost of my very expensive shore excursions back as OBC.

If I would have known in advance, I would definitely have arranged a private tour with a local guide, and I would have made sure to see everything on my list, because I am a fast walker (and I can skip lunch).  As it was we substituted a shorter shore excursion, and then spent the rest of the day on our own walking and visiting all the places on our list. 

So the other recommendation I have is do extensive research on each port so you know exactly what you want to see, how much it costs, how long to see it, and would it be possible to do on your own.  Have a wonderful cruise!

As other have said, they are mostly sold out and would not open should of someone cancelling.

With that said. The excursions through Royal are not the only ones. While it is nice to book through them sometimes for the convience and them making sure you make it or get back to ship, you can find a lot larger of variety and for cheaper usually by booking them on your own. Even the same ones that Royal offers.

That will be your best bet if you have specific things you want to do.

Check with ur Roll Call also see if there is a group (on the big site that shall not be named)…ask if anyone is on a private group tour with room for you to join…that worked for us in the Mediterranean.

I even was the instigator to start a private group tour & was looking for 6 ppl to join…..ended up with over 70 ppl for a tour in the South Pacific.