Gluten Free protocols

Emurphy

Hello all, my Mom has recently diagnosed gluten allergy, really wants to go on another NCL cruise but is fearful there won't be a lot of food options, or fearful that the care might not be up to par.

Can anyone please comment about personal gluten allergy experiences?

Specifically on the Gem or Pearl, but any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Every single time I sat with the solo group on my last cruise the servers asked before putting anything on the table if there were any food allergies among the group.  On another cruise someone I dined with frequently had an unusual food allergy and they were 100% taken care of.

Make sure your TA or PCC (if you used one) lets the cruise line know. You can also review https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising and fill out the form linked there.  On the day you board, be sure to go to the open MDR and speak with the host/hostess, explain your situation, they should make a call and have someone come to meet with you to discuss your needs.  Your mom's allergy will be noted on your account and any time you check in at a restaurant someone will come to meet you.

They should also provide you with the next night's menu so she can make a selection to be prepared to accommodate the food allergy.

The cruise line is VERY serious about ensuring passengers don't fall ill due to food allergies, if they are aware of specific needs they will do everything they can to ensure the needs are met.

• Like 1

I am gluten intolerant and was on the Bliss last year.  I had plenty of choices (even with being a bit of a picky eater on top of the intolerance) in the MDR and specialty dining.  Some of the sides were substituted for grilled vegetables.  I ate lunch in Taste and Savor most days and the rare occasion that I went to the buffet was fine.  I don't know how severe your mother's gluten allergy is, but to be safe from cross contamination, probably stay away from the buffet until she's used to identifying potential contamination. If she does go to the buffet, ask what is safe.  If the servers in the MDRs and specialty restaurants aren't sure what can be adapted to be gluten free, they would ask the chef.  Only one time was I told it couldn't be adapted.  The food was good. I didn't have many choices for desserts, but that was because I don't like desserts with fruit.  (sweetened fruit is just too sickeningly sweet)

She will need to be proactive though, no matter what cruise line she ever goes on.  Call customer service and let them know about the allergy so the ingredients can be ordered.  Fill out the form from the access desk, customer service can email it.  Inform the Maitre d' upon embarkation.  Inform the waiter at dinner and then order for the next night before leaving.

• Like 1

Tell her cruising gluten free is possible if careful. I'm a big fan of looking at menus to decide which cruise line to go on for the itinerary that I want.

I've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, and Celebrity.  Carnival servers acted like it was a big hassle to deal with me and won't sail with them again for that and other reasons.  RC, NCL, and Celebrity I would sail again.  Although, for my tastes, NCL and Celebrity had better food.  

• Like 1

I was just on The Pearl with my mom, who has Celiac's. She found plenty to eat and especially enjoyed ordering ahead. The buffet had someone to walk around with her, but she found it very overwhelming. My mom loved the gluten free french toast and desserts especially. We did Modermo together, and that was very easy for her. The bread there is delicious and gluten free for all. They always had a crew member checking on her at meals to make sure she had what she needed and that she ordered her next meal. My mom also enjoyed the nachos at O'Sheehan's with the corn chips. This was her first cruise and so much easier to find food options for everyone at sea than on land. She always feels bad having to choose a restaurant that she can eat at and making everyone miss out on many places. This was not the case at all cruising. She is sold and will probably be back!

• Like 2

NCL is great, let them know ahead of time and someone will meet with you on embarkment lunch. My daughter ordered dinner and breakfast ahead of time, just gave a call when she was heading to eat to let them know where she would be. So many options!

• Like 1