surprise phone charges when on a cruise

sleepingcat

Useful if you ve not come across this issue. Article in the Mirror:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/cruises/experts-issue-warning-cruise-passengers-30865659

I think the problem may be more an issue on US based cruise lines as I think Ive noticed posting about it from US cruisers. In Europe roaming charges are more transparent (but I m ready to be corrected on this!).

It's a worldwide issue, on my very first cruise years ago, I turned on roaming as I left Southampton thinking my phone would link to European towers and take advantage of roaming. I woke up the next morning to a huge data bill just from background services and a stream of warning text messages I did not hear as my phone was on auto silent at night. On that first cruise I had no idea the ship had it's own private cell tower.

Lesson learnt a long time ago, never attach to the ships tower and keep data off.

Although, I do now have a different approach, I leave both data and roaming ON but I go to my providers website and set my monthly out-of-contract spend to zero. This allows me to use my phone on the ship using land based masts until out of range. The moment the ships tower is turned on my supplier cuts my chargeable use but I still get SMS which are free to receive, my phone normally kicks back into service the next morning as we get close to land.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:40 PM, ziggyuk said:

It's a worldwide issue, on my very first cruise years ago, I turned on roaming as I left Southampton thinking my phone would link to European towers and take advantage of roaming. I woke up the next morning to a huge data bill just from background services and a stream of warning text messages I did not hear as my phone was on auto silent at night. On that first cruise I had no idea the ship had it's own private cell tower.

Lesson learnt a long time ago, never attach to the ships tower and keep data off.

Although, I do now have a different approach, I leave both data and roaming ON but I go to my providers website and set my monthly out-of-contract spend to zero. This allows me to use my phone on the ship using land based masts until out of range. The moment the ships tower is turned on my supplier cuts my chargeable use but I still get SMS which are free to receive, my phone normally kicks back into service the next morning as we get close to land.

Seriously good advice that should be pinned 

• Thanks 1