European cruise question

jonj

Cruiser Carol, I am so sorry you had to go through all that. I would hope there is some recourse for your problem. If there is a Better Business Bureau in the UK, I would certainly contact them.

You probably can't deal with a US agent, but if you can, see my post on about page four of the Sept. Transatlantic Jewel.

I do want to say that I really like Brits. It is so nice that after 200 years we are finally getting along. (The last time I said that to a Brit on a ship, he responded "Yes, but you still owe us those damn taxes.")

Bob :D

We paid £1850 per person for a 14 night Med cruise (Legend, Junior Suite). The cruise is in July 2006 and we booked in October 2005. This did not include flights from Glasgow to Southampton. Hope this is of some help.

Alan

There was a post by a TA that said RCI had a PDF (TA's only) that listed April 20th as the post date.

However, this would be a full three weeks before they've posted them that last two years. Our Med cruise was booked May 15th (or there abouts) the year before. It was very close to the first day, if not the first day, they were available.

Hi Alan......thanks for that info, it does clarify that we have paid a reasonably good price for our cruise in August. We have a large Ocean view cabin... Midship..cabin 3038. for £1289 each (cabin 3040 goes up to the next category and more money) To book directly with RC at that time (aug 2005) ..we'd have paid £1569.....and from £1370 upwards with other TA's. Checking prices now....they vary from £1400+ with our own TA..to a staggering £1700 with others.....for the very same H Cat. cabin. Quite a difference. Our TA has been very good...It is just the problem of cancellations..and their not so clear penalty fees. I should know to always read the small print... Thankfully, we seem to have gotten past it now.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise....the JS will be brilliant. It seems a very good price for a JS. There are huge jumps from one cat. to another.I think you did very, very well. I would love to have a balcony.... the only trouble is, I would never go to sleep. My husband couldn't drag me off the decks at night, it was so lovely listening to the waves and the seabreeze. It must be fantastic to have your own little deckspace to sit and enjoy when you want...have your breakfast in the morning. How Great!

We sail August 5th on the Treasures of the Med. itinery. We have 2 overnight stops in Palma and Barcelona. We had our very first RC cruise last August on Legend...it was brilliant. We were on the classic Med itinery..with a stop in Civitevecchio, for Rome. I was last in Rome as a 21 year old...35 years before...it was just magical visiting again. The whole cruise was. My husband never enjoyed himself so much..he was so relaxed. This is why we are, to our amazement, sailing again this summer. We Can't wait for our daughters to see the ship...they have always worked very hard..and are great kids. I think they will be overwhelmed with its' size (have never really seen a ship before) and all there is onboard. Have a Great Cruise...be sure to keep us up to date on your return....I will do the same....regards, Carol

Hi Bob.....Thanks so much for all your help. Everything seems settled now. I have confirmed costs with the TA..There had been a bit of confusion with the invoice. My shipboard credits are still in place for my husband and I... (earned from last cruise)..and we have 2 parking spaces included. The kids are jointly going to contribute a small amount towards it...My husband and I will have about 95%.. So, Hopefully, all the worrying is behind us and the cruise is now becoming a reality for all 6 of us. We are even beginning to discuss what to take along....and who will mind our little puppy "EDDIE"...who's photo you see by my name. We lost our dear Bonnie dog after 15 years..in Oct. She was so calm and gentle...Eddie is a complete opposite....a tearaway!!! A real Handful....but very Loving.

It was Mothers'day here on Sunday...and my daughters and future sons' in law.. surprised me with a lovely 3 piece outfit for my cruise..and some beautiful tiffany glass candle holders. It was wonderful. The lads have also bought themselves some dress shirts and pants...(they are normally in jeans)...so it looks like everyone is getting ready for the cruise and are Happy.

I will definitely look into your post on Jewel...and check with other companies... if I am lucky enough to sail again. Apparently, there was also a large booking fee normally charged by this TA...but this was waived in our case as a repeat customer. the prices we paid, do appear to be good..so if we can just gather all the cash in the next 6 weeks..with no further problems...ALL should be OK.

I also felt a bit bad saying my one daughters boyfriend didn't want to spend his money. I should clarify that they are trying to save and start a little business together..and have gotten engaged. At present they are working 50 hrs a week. I am very lucky that both girls have really caring and decent young men. The other lad is just finishing University..and has a part time job. They are all great kids...and all deserve a good vacation. I think the 4 of them will have a fantastic time....especially with the connecting cabins....and the mountains of cookies in the Windjammer. The girls love them. They can order room service..the girls can get dressed up ....wander around the ship and ports...have lots of fun. Something they've not experienced before. In fact, I intend to have room service myself this time..at least once...and to eat breakfast in the dining room. Always ate in the Windjammer last time. There are so many choices...I didn't want to miss a thing. I don't know How I would manage on the bigger ships... with twice as much on offer?? Cruising really is a wonderful experience. Happy Sailing! regards, Carol

Carol

Many thanks for your kind reply. We booked our cruise through C----- C------, who went bust around December. As we have sailed with RCI on numerous occasions, they very kindly honoured the price. This will be our first Vision Class voyage and we are looking forward to it immensely. Our favourite ship is the Brilliance, so the Legend really has something to live up to!

I will certainly post a report on our return and look forward to reading yours too. Have a great time!

Alan

Hey Bob...it's me again...just read your post a second time... and realized I missed replying to the bit about Brits and yanks. I like the humour. Glad you get on so well with us..as it happens I have been living as a Brit for 25 years...but Actually am an American. My husband is British. I was born in Milwaukee, Wi..but came to Florida as a baby..living in Miami and Hollywood..(near ft. lauderdale)..for 31 years. I cannot believe I have lived in England for so long. I seldom get back to Fl. The CC message board has been a God send...it has in the past 9 months brought me back in touch with fellow Americans...my love of ships.......and given me a whole new interest in life. It really was a surprise..and a blast from the past..to find myself sailing Royal caribbean. I watched their ships sailing all the time from Miami when I was young...and their company Just Beginning! I never realized they sailed from Europe. It's like starting life all over again. regards, carol

Carol

Many thanks for your kind reply. We booked our cruise through C----- C------, who went bust around December. As we have sailed with RCI on numerous occasions, they very kindly honoured the price. This will be our first Vision Class voyage and we are looking forward to it immensely. Our favourite ship is the Brilliance, so the Legend really has something to live up to!

I will certainly post a report on our return and look forward to reading yours too. Have a great time!

Alan

Hi Alan, glad to hear from you...I followed the story of that company. I am so glad your booking and price were safe. It was an awful situation...so many customers left hanging....and they were such a well promoted company. we were constantly seeing their adverts in the newspapers and getting brochures with offers on cruises..very glossy and professional. In fact,They appeared to be one of the Biggest companies dealing with the cruiselines. We were intending to deal with them ourselves last year. they seemed to have really good prices. We had checked with several....and were actually in the process of booking the LOS...when this other TA telephoned us back and beat the price. It wasn't by much...but She also seemed very genuine and friendly... which she is, and a bit more personal with the service. We booked just 10 weeks before... as a guarantee Y Category. We paid the lowest price around..so expected to get a last minute space. However, we received our cabin number straight away..and instead of deck 2...we were on deck 3 in a large ocean view. It was a very nice spot...much roomier than expected. So we were very happy.

Regarding the Legend....I love the vision class for All the windows and light. There are fantastic views of the sea everywhere you go. I am not sure of all the ships..but I believe Brilliance also has lots of glass and light and is around 90,000 tons? that seems a good size. She must be lovely. It will be a contrast for you. I have been following the story of George Smith...the honeymooner who went overboard...on BOS. That is quite a mystery.

I do hope you enjoy Legend...she doesn't have the extra restaurants etc. but she is really very lovely and classy and has a wonderfully warm atmosphere. All the crew were brilliant..couldn't do enough for you. The 7 tier atrium was beautiful...I loved people watching there and listening to the various singers and musicians..while having a quiet drink. It was really special all lit up at night. There were several deck party buffets at midnight...2 chocolate buffets....and many lunchtime bar b ques. The sailing from the French riviera (Villefranche) was especially nice. We lifted anchor at midnight while food and drinks were being served on deck...their was music for dancing under the stars.....and in the distance..the lights of the riviera. Fireworks went off from neighbouring Monte Carlo..as the LOS slid away....her lights on deck,all sparkling in the darkness like jewels. It was an amazing night I will not forget.

I only hope this years cruise will be as good. You will have much more to compare. The best idea I think, is to just make the most of what is on offer....and to aim to enjoy yourself whatever happens. I certainly did.

I am very excited about the navigator coming to the Uk in 2007....it would be great to try all the ships...but it seems very dark inside. I like my windows and views of the sea. I Expect it will be beyond our budget anyway...but you never know... have a great cruise! Regards, Carol

We have called RCL almost daily and I have to admit, it's because of how entertaining all the different answers are. We have been told everything from "any day now" to "about six months before the cruise." I read on the Princess board that they go on sale Friday so that might spark RCL to keep up so folks aren't checking out the competition too closely...

Hi Alan......thanks for that info, it does clarify that we have paid a reasonably good price for our cruise in August. We have a large Ocean view cabin... Midship..cabin 3038. for £1289 each (cabin 3040 goes up to the next category and more money) To book directly with RC at that time (aug 2005) ..we'd have paid £1569.....and from £1370 upwards with other TA's. Checking prices now....they vary from £1400+ with our own TA..to a staggering £1700 with others.....for the very same H Cat. cabin. Quite a difference. Our TA has been very good...It is just the problem of cancellations..and their not so clear penalty fees. I should know to always read the small print... Thankfully, we seem to have gotten past it now.

[end quote]

It appears that TA's in the UK can sell at less than list price for Royal Caribbean . For about a year the US agents have been stopped from doing so for RCL and Celebrity by RCL. The web agents have circumvented this a bit by offering shipboard credits or free travel insurance. Are the UK agents really still able to discount? If so, I don't begrudge you this, I'm just curious.

Bob :confused:

[end quote]

It appears that TA's in the UK can sell at less than list price for Royal Caribbean . For about a year the US agents have been stopped from doing so for RCL and Celebrity by RCL. The web agents have circumvented this a bit by offering shipboard credits or free travel insurance. Are the UK agents really still able to discount? If so, I don't begrudge you this, I'm just curious.

Bob :confused:

Hi Bob....No Problem...I had never been clear on this pricing point, but you have just comfirmed for me that it is a general policy in the US. I have many times noticed posters referring to booking with RC direct, as all prices were the same. Others stated... The Benefits of using a TA, were in the form of any perks they might offer.. as you have said.

So far, it appears this situation has not ocurred here in the UK. The main incentive to use TA's, is still the price difference. I have just checked again the various online prices and the RC web page....They still vary widely.... from £1440...to £1700. RC at the moment are asking £1699. for our same cat. H cabin on the Aug. 5th sailing..it jumps to £2,269...for a balcony. I think we were very lucky to get the price we did..even though we are only on deck 3....and even having booked a year ahead. There simply weren't as low prices, as there were last year. One of the main competetors offering comparible prices to our TA, went out of business in Dec. So, I do think we were lucky and that things are changing fast.

Last year, RC were just taking off in the UK market....

So they were very much in the promotional stages. Lots of deals were going around. However, This year the prices and demand are rapidly rising. I don't think it will take very long, until there are controlled prices for us as well.

I received the 2007 brochure for P&O today..... from our TA. They have the brochure printed with 2 price bands..if you book before June 2006..you save 45% on listed prices...and some cabins offer a 3rd person free. So P & O have designed their own discounts. I don't think the TA will better any of these deals. Even when the itineries are very similiar, and many of the Ocean view cabins have obstructed views on P & O, they have always been much more expensive than RC....and very little flexibility anywhere, on their prices. They are pretty much set...and they have, obviously, been around a long time.

I think RC will be similiar with their prices and brochure. Giving their own incentives and reductions. There will be much less bargaining power. I am just afraid they will end up being too expensive for us. Time will tell. Judging by what you've read, how do you find the comparisons of UK prices...to U.S. prices? It appears to me, from Looking at the RC pages advertising Caribbean cruises...they seem to be a lot cheaper based on a daily/weekly rate...than in the uK.....BUT other itineries may vary. regards, Carol

My sister and i are sailing on the 7 day Western Europe on LOS in May. Its my sisters 1st cruise, but i normally sail with HAL, i pay 150% as a solo cruiser, but find that i can get some reasonable deals on the web, the exchange rate favours the Pound, i know i have to pay airfare, but even so, it doesnt work out much more in the end.I have made some lovely friends american and dutch and we keep in touch on a regular basis by email and meet up on cruises.I am on the Amsterdam in October for the Panama Canal for 13 nights. We didnt take a longer cruise than 7 days, as my sister wanted to check out - if she liked cruising. I live quite near to the port - about 15 miles, but my sister lives about 180 miles away, so it will be nice not to have the long flight before the cruise, plus the expense of an hotel pre-cruise. I have read many of your posts and from them you seem very happy with LOS, well Carol thanks again for your re-assuring reports on Legend.- audrey

My sister and i are sailing on the 7 day Western Europe on LOS in May. Its my sisters 1st cruise, but i normally sail with HAL, i pay 150% as a solo cruiser, but find that i can get some reasonable deals on the web, the exchange rate favours the Pound, i know i have to pay airfare, but even so, it doesnt work out much more in the end.I have made some lovely friends american and dutch and we keep in touch on a regular basis by email and meet up on cruises.I am on the Amsterdam in October for the Panama Canal for 13 nights. We didnt take a longer cruise than 7 days, as my sister wanted to check out - if she liked cruising. I live quite near to the port - about 15 miles, but my sister lives about 180 miles away, so it will be nice not to have the long flight before the cruise, plus the expense of an hotel pre-cruise. I have read many of your posts and from them you seem very happy with LOS, well Carol thanks again for your re-assuring reports on Legend.- audrey

Hi audrey...Great to hear from you. Thankyou so much for your kind words.Glad my posts have been helpful. I do tend to go on a bit. I always feel a bit embarassed and guilty for doing so. But in the case of the Legend, we have so many wonderful memories of our cruise...and just want to share them, and let everyone know how lovely a ship she is.

I am so glad that you have convinced your sister to take up cruising. It is a wonderful way to travel.I am sure she will enjoy it. The Legend is a very good ship to get started with...not too big or crowded. Nice and bright with lots of windows. I love the ship..and was definitetly very Happy. It was a return for me to cruising after many, many years. A real dream come true.

You Panama Canal cruise sounds really exciting...it is brilliant that you get the opportunity to cruise often. I was lucky as well...I traveled a lot in the 70s'...when I was young. I went as far away as the Orient. It was wonderful...I saw and learned so much. Travel is the best education..

We are sailing again on Legend Aug 5.. with our daughters. It will be, the first time they have ever seen a cruiseship...I am so excited. I can't wait to see their faces. We live in the midlands...so we will drive down to Southampton the night before and stay somewhere in a holiday Inn etc. We did this last year, and it worked out perfect. It's great that you are close to the port...you won't have to do this. Just realized, it is April 1st today....so you wil be sailing on LOS..next month. Fantastic news. Please, Keep in touch....hope you both have a wonderful cruise..Regards, Carol

Cruiser Carol,

The different web prices, £1440 to £1700, is certainly a large difference. £260 equates to about $450 at the current exchange rate. That's $900 a cabin. How do I get dual UK citizenship so I can get the lowest price?

Cruiser Carol,

The different web prices, £1440 to £1700, is certainly a large difference. £260 equates to about $450 at the current exchange rate. That's $900 a cabin. How do I get dual UK citizenship so I can get the lowest price?

Hi Bobblsc... ...I am sure we could work something out for you. I think Mr Blair would welcome some new Citizens...as a lot of the old ones aren't so happy with him at the moment. lol.... As I was trying to explain last time...when I mentioned P& O....it seems that the big differences in prices aren't on all the cruiselines or ships. Legend seemed to have the lowest prices. There are still many variations..but usually by a much smaller amount...and based on a much higher starting price.

I think we were lucky to book straight away..even though it later caused us a lot of worry, as you know, with the threat of cancellations...and the big penalty fee. However, if we had waited...and only booked now for august...like we did last year...none of us could have afforded to go. I am wondering what the prices will be like on the Navigator, when she comes to the UK in 2007. I should think there will be a very big demand. regards, carol

Ever since the cruise lines put a stop to advertizing discount pricing online it has been a boom to both TA's and the cruise lines. People who would never have thought of paying brochure rates in the past are now paying very high rates. Shop around people, there are deals out there offered by the cruise lines to the TA's and offers by TA's. I purchased our May 6, 13 night transatlantic category E2 on the hump for $1,200 in November. Return airfare from Barcelona was only $450. The TA's you are using may not be passing the savings on to you, or they may not be qualifying for the savings from the cruise lines. Every GOOD TA will discount the price. And I do not mean throw in free insurance. It will cut into their commission, but the GOOD ones will make it up in customer loyalty and voulme. But if all it takes is a free bottle of wine upon sail away, then continue as you are.

Ever since the cruise lines put a stop to advertizing discount pricing online it has been a boom to both TA's and the cruise lines. People who would never have thought of paying brochure rates in the past are now paying very high rates. Shop around people, there are deals out there offered by the cruise lines to the TA's and offers by TA's. I purchased our May 6, 13 night transatlantic category E2 on the hump for $1,200 in November. Return airfare from Barcelona was only $450. The TA's you are using may not be passing the savings on to you, or they may not be qualifying for the savings from the cruise lines. Every GOOD TA will discount the price. And I do not mean throw in free insurance. It will cut into their commission, but the GOOD ones will make it up in customer loyalty and voulme. But if all it takes is a free bottle of wine upon sail away, then continue as you are.

Hi Easytravel777....We were surprised to hear that prices are controlled by the cruiselines... competition was not allowed. I am glad that it is still possible. Seems totally undemocratic otherwise. You really did get a fantastic price for your 13 day cruise. I know off season and transatlantic crossings are a bit cheaper...but for the cabin you have..that is a brilliant price. there is a massive jump from Large Ocean View like we have... to the lowest Balcony cabins..which are D1. In our case another $2000 on the 14 day Med cruise. I would love a balcony...but no chance at those prices..and this is on the Legend...the bigger ships are even more.

Have a fantastic cruise...be sure to tell us all about it when you return.

btw...I was born in Milwaukee, wisconsin. How are things there?? I have never been back...I Moved to Miami as a baby...lived there for 31 years, before coming to England in 1981. I always wanted to see the place where I was born...I had a sister that lived there for over 40 years..but she died in the 90's. My mom went to Chicago a lot when they lived there..seeing Lake Michigan is something I have always wanted to do. It seems amazing to me..it is so huge from what pictures I have seen. I do hope I will some day, before my time runs out. All the best from cold wet England..Carol

Your pride in obtaining such a good price is noted. It appears that you were able to negotiate that price with your TA. Was this a local Milwaukee agent or a web agent? I believe the TA's commission is about 15%, and thus the limit for a discount. Is that your information? Do you know if the TA obtained a block of rooms to sell in large volume? I know Cruise Critic does not want one to state a specific agent agent, but can you give us a hint? Is there any cancellation cost payable to your TA? Also, what was the price by Royal Caribbean at the time you purchased the cruise?

The local TA's in my area seem to hang together and refuse to bargain. Perhaps we have too many rich Wal-Mart people here.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity so far seem to be successful in their pricing strategy. My September 11 Transatlantic is said to be sold out at this time. The best I could find is a nice shipboard credit, which added to my stockholder credit will provide me with over $500 to spend for gratuities and other expenses on the ship.

I'm confident there will be only a few cabins released prior to final payment date, so this cruise is pretty well set. For future cruises, however, you could do us a real service by being more specific about how you did so well. Can you do that? It isn't any help simply to be informed how well someone else did.

Bob :rolleyes:

In Oct. '04 we checked into booking a 6/05 12-night Jewel cruise to Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords. the cabins were pretty much gone except suites and everything was outrageously expensive. So we decided to book for '06 as soon as it opened, which was May '05. We're paying $3500 for an Ocean View, including airfare and transfers. We also added a 3-day pre-stay in London. After booking so long ago it's exciting to see light at the end of the tunnel and we have booked some excursions already, making it seem even more real.

Next summer we hope to do an 11-night Med cruise on Galaxy with a 5-day land tour to Italy. We loved Galaxy on last year's winter cruise, but the deciding factor is it has the land tour we want. RCI and Celebrity are the only lines we cruise.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

If you haven't been to London, or perhaps even if you have, you can get a lot of information from the Jewel Sept. 11 Trans Atlantic thread(if that is what these are called). This includes getting to Harwich, but you may have booked London with your cruise and be getting bus transport to Harwich. By all means go to Italy. Some years ago we lived just north of Venice for four months, and really enjoyed it. We have since included Italy in each of three trips to Europe. Don't miss Florence, but, if you can, try to go early spring or late fall to miss the big crowds.

Many years ago we lived in Oxford for five years, and would periodically drive to Dayton for dinner. I seem to remember a restaurant with a water wheel.

Bob :cool:

:rolleyes: we did it in october late,but still about 5200 for two in mini suite,but you got tours(private)all ports,plus airfare wasnt that great,drinks,tips,adds up fast,but it was worth every penny and them some the memories last forever:))))))) how often do you go to europe??//:p

I was looking at this thread as we are thinking about booking a Med trip in 2007. I saw your response to Kathie44 where you mentioned going to a restaurant in Dayton with a water wheel. Actually, you are probably thinking about the Peerless Mill in Miamisburg...very nice. Unfortunately, it burned about three years ago, but they have rebuilt and it is now re-open. Haven't been there yet, but am looking forward to it. :)

I was looking at this thread as we are thinking about booking a Med trip in 2007. I saw your response to Kathie44 where you mentioned going to a restaurant in Dayton with a water wheel. Actually, you are probably thinking about the Peerless Mill in Miamisburg...very nice. Unfortunately, it burned about three years ago, but they have rebuilt and it is now re-open. Haven't been there yet, but am looking forward to it. :)

Thank you for the information. I can now honestly say that I remember the name and location. I hope your 2007 trip is great. I'm confident it will be.

Bob :cool:

Disney Cruise Line is sailing alternating 10 and 11-night itineraries in the Mediterranean in summer 2007, and booking began yesterday. I booked a cat. 11 inside for the 11-night, which was the least expensive category, and paid $2599/per adult plus taxes of $59 each. That was for the first cruise out of Barcelona on May 26th. I know DCL is pricey, but I won't know how much more expensive than other cruiselines until others come out with their 2007 schedules. For more info go to: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/cruises/overview?name=MediterraneanCruisesLandingPage

Archived