Sea Pass

acttx

Quick question...I have read on these boards that people put cash on their sea pass. Can't you just give a credit card and all charges are put on that card?

If you can do either, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

I think some people like to just put a little extra out there...kind of a pre-pay kind of thing.....that takes the sticker shock off of the final bill.

We have done both. Either way, the bottom line will always be the same. Just do whatever is most comfortable or workable for you.

Best Regards.

Believe it or not, some people don't have credit cards. By either their choice or the CC company's. Those are usually the ones that use cash.

Dhaden,

Absolutely true. I have a friend that chooses NOT to have a credit card. He doesn't even use the debit card that comes gratis with his bank account. In a way, I envy him, and at the same time, can't quite figure out his extreme aversion to the cards especially when we travel together and I have to guarantee our motel rooms with my card. We always pay cash and that way we are certainly evenly split on expenses without anyone being out of pocket.

Anyway, good point!

I prefer to put down cash as I don't want the cruise company to put a block on my credit card. This COULD impact my being able to use the same card to check into a hotel after the cruise is over.

We put a cc down for the cruise and then went and paid it off on the last night (at about 11 pm so we knew we'd have no more charges). We are from Canada, but had a US savings plan with my DH's work so rather than lose in the exchange we wanted to pay out in US $$. It was no problem to pay off the account and I rec'd a statement of payment right then and there for the trip. It was great to come home and have no money owing for our trip! Loved that part!

ansafae

What do you mean, "block"? I've never had that happen, so I don't know what it means.

It's sort of like a lein against your credit card of "x" amount of dollars in anticipation of you racking up a lot of expenses onboard. Then, a couple days later, after the cruise and the cruise company gets their $, they release the lein on your card.

If you don't have a high credit limit or are close to your max, you might not be able to use your card after the cruise until the block is lifted.

If someone/anyone has a better explanation please chime in.

You've got it right--Just like when you make an actual credit card charge, the credit card company gives the vendor an approval # for the charge. The ship would be out tons of $$$$ if they allowed folks to charge, say, $500 to their card, but could only get approved for $100! I guess if that were to happen, they could always make you swab the deck to pay off your bill!

I think some people like to just put a little extra out there...kind of a pre-pay kind of thing.....that takes the sticker shock off of the final bill.

We have done both. Either way, the bottom line will always be the same. Just do whatever is most comfortable or workable for you.

Best Regards.

Final Bill? What final bill? I paid for the cruise before we left. No wonder they were chasing that guy beside me - he probably never paid for his cruise!:rolleyes: Just kidding. I would never.. not ever.. not.. stop.. not...what was the question?

Actually my entire trip (incl. airfare, hotel & cruise) will all be paid for before I leave. Then the only thing I'll need to pay for would be incidentals (like eating in the hotel before the cruise & extra expenses onboard) I don't want to be faced with a big vacation bill from VISA the month after I get back.

Archived