The start of our Greece cruise trip, with tips for international national newbies

budmeister

So, we took an almost 11 flight from ohare to Athens. We have never done anything like that b4. We have only been out of the US once outside of carribean cruise. Seats with a few extra inches, aisle across from eachother, no issues, no noisy passengers or any snafus. Perfect flight. 

Tips - they turn out the lights and plane is really dark most of flight . No way to read non digital reading material or see to go through your bags for snacks, pills  just stuff you might want in 11 hours. Could have turned on overhead light, but felt it would be rude to sleeping people all around me. Luckily, I planned on reading kindle for whole flight, and I did, so annoying but not a crisis. Watched one really good movie .

Blue tooth headphones will not work wireless. Being a non technical person, I had a cord for my headphones. 

Met by welcome pickups, 1 hour drive to Ad Athens  hotel , went to bed. Woke up 8 hours later and all is well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hotel location small street entrance, very nice, wonderful hostess - so much more than just a checkin staff.  Room very nice. But the size of a postage stamp.  Well done for size,  but I booked least expensive room and wish I had booked a larger one. Half block from small grocery,  street of kind of like a main street mixed with about 20 restaurants,  chocolate place, art and souvenir, locally made jewelry. Heaven for me. And open at night, as if it was midday. Maybe lots of tourists sleep first day and wake up in evening. Weather was a nice 70s. Perfect for sitting outside along the street with food or drink, and waking in and out of shops. Plenty of people. Just like a pleasantly perfect mid day activity, except not over crowded or hot.

Tip- if you think you don't need electrical plug adapters because the cruise ship is US plugs , don't forget your night or nights b4 and  after cruise.  Luckily, hotel has a draw of them to lend out.

Edited by budmeister
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, budmeister said:

Blue tooth headphones will not work wireless. Being a non technical person, I had a cord for my headphones. 

For future reference or others reading, you're normally allowed to turn Bluetooth back on after switching your phone or other device to airplane mode.

Day in Athens. Our hotel in Athens ( AD Athens) 10 min  walk  to Temple of Zeus,  and maybe 15 to Acropolis, both very close.  Had prebooked combo tickets,  very little line to scan and get in. We were 1/2 block from Acropolis Museum, which we really enjoyed for about 90 min, then done. We were at museum on a Friday pm from about 6:30 to 8 pm, not crowded. Acropolis walk up was not bad and crowds were not bad until around 10:30am  ish, even then annoying but nothing to worry about,  not crazy. There was minimal bench seating at multiple places on the way up.

Hotel has fancy and delicious Greek version of continental breakfast, with lots of new to us items and great coffee, all included .

On to Celebrity Infinity tomorrow morning, welcome pickup up reserved for ride. Can't wait!

Edited by budmeister
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drive to port was 10 min instead of anticipated 30, no traffic on a sat . At 10:40 am.  We were sat according to our time of 11:30, but they started boarding us at about 11:00. Easiest check in and boarding ever. Dropped carry on luggage at room and relaxing in Constellation longe looking out of front of ship full windows by 11:15 or so.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The trip home was a bit different. We bussed from our Greece airplane  gate to the plane, and walked up steps to get in.

The flight started 3 hours earlier, in the day, and the lights were dimmed,  not totally off.

Customs line took about an hour , maybe more,  at ohare.  Nothing when arriving in Greece.