Boarding then going into Barcelona

tony s

Hello 

I know this may be a silly question but better safe than sorry.  We are on the QE 10/23 out of Barcelona. We arrive from our flight about noon. Can we check in and then go off again to go into town for a bit or is it once on you stay on. The ship departs in the evening and we want to get a meal but not carry our luggage.  Thanks 

3 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Just check the muster time, which you might not be able to until after you're on the ship.

Have they started doing that again? Last month in QV, you simply had to be checked off at your muster station any time after boarding.

The Muster station thing is confusing, probably more for those frequent floaters rather than those new to Cunard.

The current idea is to watch the video which will be playing in your stateroom after check-in. Then after watching it, go to the muster station at (typically) 4pm or so as indicated on the rear door and on the swipe card - just so you know the route to it. And that is it. If you don't do this you'll get a note the next day asking you to report to the Purser's desk for - well I don't know since I try to be well behaved - a detention of sorts?

The confusion is that some of the written material around this - and long standing previous practice - suggests you need to attend (e.g.) The Queens Room at 4pm to listen to the captain's version of the drill and alarms, then go to the muster station to be bleeped. In the past you even needed to bring your life jackets with you. But as far as I can tell, and until the next audit, it's just go to Muster Station X from about 3.45 to 5pm. Some passengers may be asked to be involved in a more intense drill that day or the next, again I suspect to tick the audit list.

46 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

The Muster station thing is confusing, probably more for those frequent floaters rather than those new to Cunard.

The current idea is to watch the video which will be playing in your stateroom after check-in. Then after watching it, go to the muster station at (typically) 4pm or so as indicated on the rear door and on the swipe card - just so you know the route to it. And that is it. If you don't do this you'll get a note the next day asking you to report to the Purser's desk for - well I don't know since I try to be well behaved - a detention of sorts?

The confusion is that some of the written material around this - and long standing previous practice - suggests you need to attend (e.g.) The Queens Room at 4pm to listen to the captain's version of the drill and alarms, then go to the muster station to be bleeped. In the past you even needed to bring your life jackets with you. But as far as I can tell, and until the next audit, it's just go to Muster Station X from about 3.45 to 5pm. Some passengers may be asked to be involved in a more intense drill that day or the next, again I suspect to tick the audit list.

Is there a set time for a muster check in. or even the order in which to watch the video?

First cruise this year, we checked our cards for a scan as we boarded as it was convenient, then went for lunch. Second cruise, I moseyed on down just after lunch with both our cards and to be honest, don't recall actually sitting down to watch the safety video on the TV but I'm sure we caught the gist of it.

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Is there a set time for a muster check in. or even the order in which to watch the video?

First cruise this year, we checked our cards for a scan as we boarded as it was convenient, then went for lunch. Second cruise, I moseyed on down just after lunch with both our cards and to be honest, don't recall actually sitting down to watch the safety video on the TV but I'm sure we caught the gist of it.

We usually do it before lunch.

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

They do say in the announcement that you should watch the video first, then get the scan. I don't think it hugely matters if it's a little later, and it can't be checked, without submitting us to a recall test, which Cunard won't be doing. There again it's primarily for our safety rather than an artificial requirement.  I think the crew members doing the scan at the muster stations are there for quite a while, but since everything (e.g. bar service) should stop during the 4pm drill announcement, it's kind of convenient to get the scan around that time.

54 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

They do say in the announcement that you should watch the video first, then get the scan. I don't think it hugely matters if it's a little later, and it can't be checked, without submitting us to a recall test, which Cunard won't be doing. There again it's primarily for our safety rather than an artificial requirement.  I think the crew members doing the scan at the muster stations are there for quite a while, but since everything (e.g. bar service) should stop during the 4pm drill announcement, it's kind of convenient to get the scan around that time.

I think it's kind of convenient to do at one's convenience. Also, to give a time scale, typical or not, is giving incorrect info for, say. tony s who would like to have the late afternoon in town!

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I think it's kind of convenient to do at one's convenience. Also, to give a time scale, typical or not, is giving incorrect info for, say. tony s who would like to have the late afternoon in town!

I would certainly agree that @tony s should not be inconvenienced, not least because the safety video is constantly available on Channel 21, and any scanning can take place later. I don't think it's incorrect information, unless my five Daily Programmes for embarkation in 2023 are also incorrect, each of them give the Captain's Emergency Procedure Broadcast - Shipwide at 4pm and a separate paragraph on getting scanned.  I don't this requires all passengers being onboard at that point in time.

14 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I would certainly agree that @tony s should not be inconvenienced, not least because the safety video is constantly available on Channel 21, and any scanning can take place later. I don't think it's incorrect information, unless my five Daily Programmes for embarkation in 2023 are also incorrect, each of them give the Captain's Emergency Procedure Broadcast - Shipwide at 4pm and a separate paragraph on getting scanned.  I don't this requires all passengers being onboard at that point in time.

I think Cunard  reality is often different from 'Cunard advised' and  it helps to give the reality check and I try and give the reality.

• Like 1

I get onboard usually between 12 30 and 13 : 30. Go straight to my cabin collect my card go to muster station and then Golden Lion. Then to Britannia to check my table. It is my understanding there is no set time to do it. The only thing set is the captain’s announcement when everything shuts down. You can listen to it from anywhere you can hear it !! If everyone turned up to their muster station at 4:00 it would be a tad busy.