How NCL treats you when you catch Covid on their ships ...

newbie63

25 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

@DrSea Thank you for sharing your expertise on the thread, it is really appreciated.

I am hoping you can provide insight into the following:

The OP laid out the premise of "when you catch Covid on their ships" in the thread title. However, the OP provided no information to support that premise.

It is my understanding that Covid can have an incubation period between 2 and 14 days. It would seem that the OP could have been exposed to Covid at home prior to the cruise, on the way to the airport prior to the cruise, in the airport prior to the cruise, on the plane prior to the cruise, on the taxi ride to the cruise terminal prior to the cruise, inside the terminal prior to the cruise, or ashore while on an excurions...IOW, many opportunities for the Covid exposure to be OFF the ship and not ON the ship.

From a medical/scientific standpoint, how could the OP know with any degree of certainty that they caught Covid "on the ship" as they claim?

There is no way to know for certain. The CDC would count any infection diagnosed on the ship as having caught it on the ship even if they didn't.

But it spreads like wildfire on the ship and the cruise ship doctor had to open the medical center for extended hours to see patients on my last 4 NCL cruises.

I can deal with Covid, Flu, etc.  however, what bothers me the most is catching Norovirus on a cruise ship!!! Can't imagine getting off the ship with the "symptoms"!  I've had them all (not on a cruise), and vaccinate every chance, tell me when there is a vaccination for Norovirus (if it's possible).

RedRover

• Like 2

So, we had a similar experience on a different cruise line. This was a "luxury" cruise line but our experience ended up being similar to yours. 

First, the ship had 40 people on it, nearly everyone was sick a few days in. Our cruise director consulted with corporate and asked everyone to take a rapid test onboard. Me and 3 other people tested positive. Interesting enough, my cabin made was also sick but tested negative. They allowed her to change rooms and remain on the cruise itinerary. I, on the other hand, was stuck in the cabin with room service that was very inconsistent. But the worst part for us was when we docked.

We were in Vietnam, and the cruise included a short land portion at the end. We docked the evening before we departed and they brought a nurse on to give us all PCR tests. Apparently the cruise line had advised the hotel we were all staying of of the situation. They said that if we all tested negative on the PCR tests we could check in. If any of us tested positive, they then would require ALL of the passengers to take a PCR test before checking in. Which would have left 40 people in Vietnam with no hotel since the PCR test takes a day to process. Luckily, we all tested negative. But yes, an extremely scary and uncomfortable situation. 

Just as a side note; on this cruise, everyone was required to show proof of vaccination and booster. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hallux said:

Enough with the "someone's coughing, they must be sick".  I can get into a fit of coughing if I drink something carbonated, doesn't mean I'm sick but by your reasoning you're going to assume I'm deathly ill.  People cough for MANY reasons.

I took the concern as no one covering their mouth when they cough not that they are coughing and must be sick.  Whether you are sick or just having a coughing fit, you should cover your mouth. 

• Like 1