Eurodam Aft-Facing Cabins - Are some decks better than others?

Ken the cruiser

Just trying to increase our knowledge of some of the HAL ships we haven't cruised on yet. We just booked an aft-facing "VB" balcony cabin on Deck 6 of the Eurodam for an April 2025 Panama Canal cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle. But I'm curious why some of the aft-facing cabins are completely booked on some decks while there are still plenty on a few of the other decks, specifically Deck 6.

I kind of understand why there are still plenty available on Deck 4 as it's right above the Dining Room. However, I don't quite understand why the aft-facing cabins on Deck 8, which are right underneath the Lido Deck and the Sea View Pool area, are sold out while there are still plenty available on Deck 6 where there are cabins above and below. But at the same time, the cabins on Deck 5 are also sold out. Is there something about Deck 6 we should know about? 🤔

image.thumb.png.c4b5e6ffb3dd8d48ca97579d61d92da1.png

My DW and I are on the Nieuw Amsterdam (sister to Eurodam) for the repositioning Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver next April.  We are staying in cabin 5192.   When I booked this cruise several months ago, using Club Orange to get the cabin upgrade, I chose deck 5 because I believe that the cabins themselves are slightly larger on deck 5 than they are on deck 6.  I have no first hand experience on this, but that was my reasoning.  I believe the aft cabins on deck 7 have the largest cabins (slightly), but the center ones were sold out and I preferred to be in the center of the aft if possible.  Some like deck 8 (we have a deck 8 aft-facing cabin on a spring 2025 transatlantic on the Nieuw Statendam), because of the overhang that completely covers the veranda and more fully protects against rain, but I thought it might be kind of noisy for the Panama Canal due to being under viewing area behind the Sea View pool.  For the transatlantic, I figured it would not be a problem and the extra covering for rain protection may come in handy.  Anyhow, these are just my reasons and others may have different reasons. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

My DW and I are on the Nieuw Amsterdam (sister to Eurodam) for the repositioning Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver next April.  We are staying in cabin 5192.   When I booked this cruise several months ago, using Club Orange to get the cabin upgrade, I chose deck 5 because I believe that the cabins themselves are slightly larger on deck 5 than they are on deck 6.  I have no first hand experience on this, but that was my reasoning.  I believe the aft cabins on deck 7 have the largest cabins (slightly), but the center ones were sold out and I preferred to be in the center of the aft if possible.  Some like deck 8 (we have a deck 8 aft-facing cabin on a spring 2025 transatlantic on the Nieuw Statendam), because of the overhang that completely covers the veranda and more fully protects against rain, but I thought it might be kind of noisy for the Panama Canal due to being under viewing area behind the Sea View pool.  For the transatlantic, I figured it would not be a problem and the extra covering for rain protection may come in handy.  Anyhow, these are just my reasons and others may have different reasons. 

Thanks. Your logic makes a lot of sense.

When we recently booked our PC cruise, we thought about booking the cheapest balcony cabin, then purchasing CO and upgrading to one of the aft-facing cabins. However, when we did the math, CO would cost about $630 (for 2) whereas the difference between the cheapest balcony cabin (at the time) and an aft-facing cabin was only $320. We passed because we didn't see the extra $310 value with CO on a non-Pinnacle class ship. Are there some other CO perks we're missing other than being able to get in the CO "fast pass" line at the MDR?

However, we are also looking at a 24-day cruise on the Koningsdam, a Pinnacle class ship, where there is a sizable difference between the cheapest VS and an aft-facing VS. In that particular case, we would actually achieve a net gain while also eating its separate CO dining room. Hopefully, when a similar 2026 itinerary becomes available, the same will be true. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

When we recently booked our PC cruise, we thought about booking the cheapest balcony cabin, then purchasing CO and upgrading to one of the aft-facing cabins. However, when we did the math, CO would cost about $630 (for 2) whereas the difference between the cheapest balcony cabin (at the time) and an aft-facing cabin was only $320. We passed because we didn't see the extra $310 value with CO on a non-Pinnacle class ship. Are there some other CO perks we're missing other than being able to get in the CO "fast pass" line at the MDR?

However, we are also looking at a 24-day cruise on the Koningsdam, a Pinnacle class ship, where there is a sizable difference between the cheapest VS and an aft-facing VS. In that particular case, we would actually achieve a net gain while also eating its separate CO dining room. Hopefully, when a similar 2026 itinerary becomes available, the same will be true. 

I understand and agree that CO may not be worth the extra $300 or so.  I probably would not have booked CO either if I was in your position.  The other small perks just don't add up like they do on a Pinnacle Class ship.  When I booked, there was a net savings using CO versus booking the deck 5 aft cabin directly, so it was a no-brainer.  I think you will have a great time in your deck 6 aft-facing cabin.  It sounds like you got a great price.  

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We are on the Koningsdam in November of 2024 for a 14-day Pacific Coast/Mexican Riviera cruise. We have a center-aft facing cabin on deck 5.  Using CO was a huge savings there too!  

Edited by TAW1963
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

I understand and agree that CO may not be worth the extra $300 or so.  I probably would not have booked CO either if I was in your position.  The other small perks just don't add up like they do on a Pinnacle Class ship.  When I booked, there was a net savings using CO versus booking the deck 5 aft cabin directly, so it was a no-brainer.  I think you will have a great time in your deck 6 aft-facing cabin.  It sounds like you got a great price.  

That was one of the main reasons we're including HAL once again when it comes to booking future cruises. They may not have a variety of quality production shows and guest entertainers every night in the theater followed by hilarious game shows conducted by 5-6 assistant CDs like PCL. But they do seem to have very competitive prices, to include a nice assortment of HIA Early Booking perks, and unique 3-5 week itineraries to plan our future cruises around, which we appreciate very much as we are now fully retired. It also helps that we are 4* Mariners and really enjoy that free laundry perk on the longer cruises. 😉

• Like 1

Decided on 5189 for our upcoming cruise as I thought being next to the Neptune aft-wrap might result in less cabin noise from that area.  I guess we will see if that was a good idea or not!  Any thoughts on the cabin sizes of these VB afts is appreciated as I may be able to change out.

• Like 1

I don't know if it matters much, but I had 7138 on Eurodam last winter. The cabin was longer than other verandahs I've had. Most of the time, the wall is solid furniture--bedstand, bed, bedstand, sofa. There is little space between the pieces. But in this cabin, there was extra space bewteen the pieces of furniture. Not a lot, but enough that I noticed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That was one of the main reasons we're including HAL once again when it comes to booking future cruises. They may not have a variety of quality production shows and guest entertainers every night in the theater followed by hilarious game shows conducted by 5-6 assistant CDs like PCL. But they do seem to have very competitive prices, to include a nice assortment of HIA Early Booking perks, and unique 3-5 week itineraries to plan our future cruises around, which we appreciate very much as we are now fully retired. It also helps that we are 4* Mariners and really enjoy that free laundry perk on the longer cruises. 😉

We are just starting our cruising adventures.   We have now sailed with PCL and HAL and like them both.  I have found competitive prices with both of them.  I am near retirement so perhaps someday in the near future we will be 4* Mariners and can enjoy that free laundry too.   

It seems like we both like the aft-facing cabins.   It hasn’t taken me many cruises to find that out.   

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TAW1963 said:

We are just starting our cruising adventures.   We have now sailed with both PCL and HAL and like them both.  I have found competitive prices with not.   I am near retirement so perhaps someday in the near future we will be 4* Mariners and can enjoy that free laundry too.   

It seems like we both like the aft-facing cabins.   It hasn’t taken me many cruises to find that out.   

For us one of the main goals with any cruise line we wind up sailing with is to learn their Loyalty game, as each one is different, so we can get to the "free laundry" perk as soon as possible! 😉

In the case of HAL (and you probably already know this), we really started to accrue points when we started booking a Vista Suite (you get 2 points for each cruise day as it is considered a "suite") rather than a Premium Deluxe Balcony or less where you only get 1 point.

Another way to earn cruise points is with purchases onboard, as you accrue 1 additional point for every $300 spent. This includes not only all of the pre-cruise excursions you might book online prior to the cruise as well as anything you purchase onboard, but also the amount of the daily gratuity charges that either get posted to your account or automatically paid for with the HIA Early Booking package you get if you book your cruise over a year out. You don't get that perk if you book a HAL cruise with less than 12 months to go.

Since the cruise points accrue based on how much we spend, we usually gained an average of between 10-12 additional points every cruise. For example, if you each booked a $150 excursion, each of you gets credit for spending the accumulative total of $300. If your daily gratuity charge was $15 pp/day, then you would each get credit for spending $30 per day.

I know this will sound a little petty, but if you keep track of that running $$ figure and you're getting close to accruing another $300 in onboard spending, you may only need to purchase a small $5-10 item to put you over the line, and every point counts when all you need is to get to 200 points to make 4*.

Here's another fun fact. Ever look to see how much unlimited laundry costs when you're on a cruise? If not, you might be surprised. Unfortunately, we never even thought about this stuff until our 6th HAL cruise.

BTW did I mention we are cruisaholics and cruising has definitely become interwoven in our daily lifestyle. 😂

Here are the details

Mariner Society

When you cruise with Holland America Line, you’re automatically enrolled in our Mariner Society®. As a member, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits for every day you cruise and for each purchase you make onboard. Earn bonus credits when you pay a published fare for a suite or penthouse and for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases.*

* Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days and qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only. Holland America Line guests are eligible for Two-Star Mariner membership after 30 Cruise Day credits; Three-Star after 75 Cruise Day credits; Four-Star after 200 Cruise Day credits; Five-Star after 500 Cruise Day credits. 

Mariner Society | Holland America

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

For us one of the main goals with any cruise line we wind up sailing with is to learn their Loyalty game, as each one is different, so we can get to the "free laundry" perk as soon as possible! 😉

In the case of HAL (and you probably already know this), we really started to accrue points when we started booking a Vista Suite (you get 2 points for each cruise day as it is considered a "suite") rather than a Premium Deluxe Balcony or less where you only get 1 point.

Another way to earn cruise points is with purchases onboard, as you accrue 1 additional point for every $300 spent. This includes not only all of the pre-cruise excursions you might book online prior to the cruise as well as anything you purchase onboard, but also the amount of the daily gratuity charges that either get posted to your account or automatically paid for with the HIA Early Booking package you get if you book your cruise over a year out. You don't get that perk if you book a HAL cruise with less than 12 months to go.

Since the cruise points accrue based on how much we spend, we usually gained an average of between 10-12 additional points every cruise. For example, if you each booked a $150 excursion, each of you gets credit for spending the accumulative total of $300. If your daily gratuity charge was $15 pp/day, then you would each get credit for spending $30 per day.

I know this will sound a little petty, but if you keep track of that running $$ figure and you're getting close to accruing another $300 in onboard spending, you may only need to purchase a small $5-10 item to put you over the line, and every point counts when all you need is to get to 200 points to make 4*.

Here's another fun fact. Ever look to see how much unlimited laundry costs when you're on a cruise? If not, you might be surprised. Unfortunately, we never even thought about this stuff until our 6th HAL cruise.

BTW did I mention we are cruisaholics and cruising has definitely become interwoven in our daily lifestyle. 😂

Here are the details

Mariner Society

When you cruise with Holland America Line, you’re automatically enrolled in our Mariner Society®. As a member, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits for every day you cruise and for each purchase you make onboard. Earn bonus credits when you pay a published fare for a suite or penthouse and for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases.*

* Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days and qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only. Holland America Line guests are eligible for Two-Star Mariner membership after 30 Cruise Day credits; Three-Star after 75 Cruise Day credits; Four-Star after 200 Cruise Day credits; Five-Star after 500 Cruise Day credits. 

Mariner Society | Holland America

Thanks for all the great information and insights!   There is no better way to learn about cruising than learning directly from those with lots of experience.   I appreciate the wonderful advice and will put it to good use.  

I can see how cruising can become addictive.  I am normally a workaholic, but I have found that being on a cruise ship provides me with more rest and relaxation than I thought possible.  Too bad it took me until I was near 60 years old to figure this out…. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

Yep, that learning curve was very small 🤫

DH pointed out that until our most recent cruise in May, he had not been in anything other than a true aft or aft wrap. And was very ok with that.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yep, that learning curve was very small 🤫

DH pointed out that until our most recent cruise in May, he had not been in anything other than a true aft or aft wrap. And was very ok with that.

If I recall correctly, you’ve got another aft cabin on the upcoming Nieuw Statendam TA!  I gave up one on that cruise, but we are making up for it in an aft cabin on the spring 2025 Nieuw Statendam TA.   

3 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

If I recall correctly, you’ve got another aft cabin on the upcoming Nieuw Statendam TA!  I gave up one on that cruise, but we are making up for it in an aft cabin on the spring 2025 Nieuw Statendam TA.   

Oh yes, you know I appreciate your sacrifice, lol! DH will not be there, though, a friend be manning the lookout station for him. 😎

• Haha 1