Freestyle..tip..no Tip?

wizard-of-roz

:p I'll be on the Star in November and I wanted to know about tipping with "Freestyle!" I'm so used to tipping the Matre'D, tipping the waiter, tipping the assistant waiter, tipping the wine steward, tipping the coca cola steward, tipping the guy who carries my dish at the buffet (Celebrity Cruises), etc., etc., How is tipping handled with "Freestyle Dining?" Am I going to love NCL or what?

"Don't Miss The Boat!";)

Roz

Your shipboard account will be charged $10 pp/pd. That's all there is to it! The $10 covers your cabin steward and wait staff. Any drinks (soda or alcohol) will have a 15% gratuity automatically added at the time of purchase. If you receive exceptional service that you feel warrants an additional tip, feel free to express your gratitude with a cash tip. Maitre d's, headwaiters, wine stewards, Kids Club workers, etc. can all be tipped at your discretion in cash but it's certainly not expected. Room service delivery is typically tipped, too.

Your shipboard account will be charged $10 pp/pd. That's all there is to it! The $10 covers your cabin steward and wait staff. Any drinks (soda or alcohol) will have a 15% gratuity automatically added at the time of purchase. If you receive exceptional service that you feel warrants an additional tip, feel free to express your gratitude with a cash tip. Maitre d's, headwaiters, wine stewards, Kids Club workers, etc. can all be tipped at your discretion in cash but it's certainly not expected. Room service delivery is typically tipped, too.

One exception to your post - Room Service and Kids Club workers are not in the tip pool and cash tips are customary

One more addition that I don't see printed yet, if eating in the specialty restaurants, especially the extra charge ones we always leave an additional $5 or $10. We all know tipping is a personal thing with each of us having our own views. We usually will find at least one person we feel has gone above and beyond for us. This person or persons we tip in cash as John mentioned. Freestyle dining is the only way to go as far as we are concerned. I think you will love it. NMNita

I have another question about Freestyle Dining. We like to sit at tables with other people so that our 11 yr old son can meet other kids. Can you do that with Freestyle? Can we ask to be seated at a table where there are other kids?

You can request a table for 6, but it wil be a little more difficult. I think your son will meet lots of kids at Kids camp. that is where the friendships seem to start. He also may want to get on the net before you even leave and see if he can meet some kids his age. NMnita

You can request a table for 6, but it wil be a little more difficult. I think your son will meet lots of kids at Kids camp. that is where the friendships seem to start. He also may want to get on the net before you even leave and see if he can meet some kids his age. NMnita

Thanks for all the responses. I don't allow my son on the internet but maybe when he's older that would be an option. The kids club is too young for him and the teen club is too old. Last cruise he met kids in the arcade and at dinner we were paired up with a lovely family from England who had a son our son's age. Good to know we can request a table with kids. Thanks to all who responded.

I love the ease of tipping with the freestyle concept. The $10 per person per day is truly a bargain if you ask me. We always tip in addition to that when we have those who go above and beyond. But as others have said, that is not required.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

The childrens program is great. If it his him who thinks he's too old or too young I promise they will make him feel welcome. The best time to easily fit in is for both of you to go to the kids icebreaker where everyone is new and all the kids are uncomfortable. Maybe since you don't allow him on the net you together could put out some feelers to see about other kids his age. Go to the roll call board and find your ship and then ask about other children.

The kids club is too young for him and the teen club is too old. .

Don't assume that. They break the program up and the pre-teens are not in with the younger kids. I would encourage him to go at least in the beginning. A great way to meet the kids his age onboard.

Archived