Another great day at the Krazy Lobster

Jeal

We just got off the MSC Seaside. We were at the Krazy Lobster last Thursday. Great day, great food and drinks and no sargassum in the water. It was a beautiful but crowded day. Thank you Mauricio! 

Edited by Jeal

We were there also. That was the most crowded that we had ever seen Crazy Lobster and we have been there many times. There were only 3 ships in port but they were big ones. If another ship had been in port Crazy Lobster would have been too full for us to get into. The barriers kept the sargassum out but the water looked like it was not as clean as the water outside the barriers. With the new larger ships being unable to go to many of the usual ports, ports that can handle the larger ships are getting much more traffic than they used to get. We need some new ports opening up to help relieve the congestion. I vote for them to open Cuba back up again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 7:43 PM, tallyho8 said:

We were there also. That was the most crowded that we had ever seen Crazy Lobster and we have been there many times. There were only 3 ships in port but they were big ones. If another ship had been in port Crazy Lobster would have been too full for us to get into. The barriers kept the sargassum out but the water looked like it was not as clean as the water outside the barriers. With the new larger ships being unable to go to many of the usual ports, ports that can handle the larger ships are getting much more traffic than they used to get. We need some new ports opening up to help relieve the congestion. I vote for them to open Cuba back up again.

Hello tallyho8!  The day we will be in Costa Maya, there will be three ships (November). They are not massive ships with lots of passengers. (Ours 3560, small 708 and another 2860)  We arrive at 0800 with the ship that holds 708.  The other ship gets there at 1000.  We haven't got off the ship in Costa Maya before. I want to try Krazy Lobster.  You think getting off at 0830-0900 and going straight there, we should be able to get good loungers?  Also, they don't cost but you just buy some food/drinks?  I looked at their website and it doesn't show much about a minimum purchase.  We are not heavy drinkers/eaters and don't want an all-inclusive.  I just want to be on a nice beach that has decent drinks/food and a nice bathroom.  Maybe hang out for 5 hours or so.  Any tips would be helpful.  Thank you.  

16 hours ago, rcprncss said:

Hello tallyho8!  The day we will be in Costa Maya, there will be three ships (November). They are not massive ships with lots of passengers. (Ours 3560, small 708 and another 2860)  We arrive at 0800 with the ship that holds 708.  The other ship gets there at 1000.  We haven't got off the ship in Costa Maya before. I want to try Krazy Lobster.  You think getting off at 0830-0900 and going straight there, we should be able to get good loungers?  Also, they don't cost but you just buy some food/drinks?  I looked at their website and it doesn't show much about a minimum purchase.  We are not heavy drinkers/eaters and don't want an all-inclusive.  I just want to be on a nice beach that has decent drinks/food and a nice bathroom.  Maybe hang out for 5 hours or so.  Any tips would be helpful.  Thank you.  

I think you will be fine. Krazy Lobster has become really big, stretching a good length along the malecon. 

“Good beach” is subjective, but I definitely don’t think you could classify Krazy Lobster as having “nice” bathrooms. That goes for most places on the malecon, with the exception of Malecon21, of the places we have been.

Krazy Lobster is PAYG.

Keep in mind Yucatan is on EST year round. 

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

I think you will be fine. Krazy Lobster has become really big, stretching a good length along the malecon. 

“Good beach” is subjective, but I definitely don’t think you could classify Krazy Lobster as having “nice” bathrooms. That goes for most places on the malecon, with the exception of Malecon21, of the places we have been.

Krazy Lobster is PAYG.

Keep in mind Yucatan is on EST year round. 

Thank you. Looking at google maps, it looks like a nice beach area.  That is what I meant by good beach. There doesn't seem to be a lot of complaints about seaweed.  I just want a decent bathroom with toilets, sink and handsoap.  LOL.  I am not interested in outhouses.  Thanks for your reply. 🙂 I will give it a try.

1 hour ago, rcprncss said:

Thank you. Looking at google maps, it looks like a nice beach area.  That is what I meant by good beach. There doesn't seem to be a lot of complaints about seaweed.  I just want a decent bathroom with toilets, sink and handsoap.  LOL.  I am not interested in outhouses.  Thanks for your reply. 🙂 I will give it a try.

I have only been to Krazy Lobster since cruising resumed because old favorites were not available.

It appears from reports, they have expanded and taken over beach areas to the sides of their original location. Consequently, I presume they have taken over some of the properties too across from the beach including bathrooms. We have been to at least two of their bathroom locations, neither were great. They were adequate but only a step-above outhouses so just be pre-warned. Depending where you are on the beach they are also some distance away.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Is there no sargassum because they still have the walls up off shore or is there just no sargassum?  

I think the point is the barriers are doing a reasonable job of reducing the sargassum. obviously depends on currents and daily conditions but this seems to have been a bad season and clubs outside of the protected areas seemed to have had bad sargassum.

I am wondering from @tallyho8 comments if the finer decomposed matter is passing the barriers making the water cloudy or just churned up sand and silt. 

Edited by c-leg5

12 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I think the point is the barriers are doing a reasonable job of reducing the sargassum. obviously depends on currents and daily conditions but this seems to have been a bad season and clubs outside of the protected areas seemed to have had bad sargassum.

I am wondering from @tallyho8 comments if the finer decomposed matter is passing the barriers making the water cloudy or just churned up sand and silt. 

Yes.  The barriers do a good job of reducing the sargassum.  They had the barriers up when I was there over the summer in 2022.  My issue with the barriers is that it restricts water currents which essentially turns the water into a warm bath.   

1 minute ago, Liljo22 said:

Yes.  The barriers do a good job of reducing the sargassum.  They had the barriers up when I was there over the summer in 2022.  My issue with the barriers is that it restricts water currents which essentially turns the water into a warm bath.   

Maybe that also is contributing to the cloudiness.

We typically go November and February so haven’t personally experienced bad sargassum in a while. The baffles hadn’t been up that long when we were last there.

The barriers do a good job of keeping the sargassum out but it also helps block the water flow making the water more stagnant but not real stagnant. I just got back from Costa Maya yesterday and the water was more clear than when I went last month. 

It is just a shame that the owners of the taxi company there are determined to rip the tourists off and charge twice as much as taxis are in Cozumel. Being there quite often I know that fares are $4 per person but I have heard some people who don't know better ask the driver how much it is and they usually tell them $5 per person. So, don't ask!

2 hours ago, tallyho8 said:

The barriers do a good job of keeping the sargassum out but it also helps block the water flow making the water more stagnant but not real stagnant. I just got back from Costa Maya yesterday and the water was more clear than when I went last month. 

It is just a shame that the owners of the taxi company there are determined to rip the tourists off and charge twice as much as taxis are in Cozumel. Being there quite often I know that fares are $4 per person but I have heard some people who don't know better ask the driver how much it is and they usually tell them $5 per person. So, don't ask!

+1