Things I miss from cruises that we do not get now.

Guest Cooltocruise1

Guest Cooltocruise1

I was musing with DH today about our past cruises ( Memories pinged in from google photos).   I am not sure how many cruises we have been on but it is A LOT. We have been cruising since the year dot and we have cruised different lines in all that time but now we mostly stick to P and O now because I am no longer able to tolerate flying and they leave from Southampton. DH still loves it but it is losing its charm for me and it is no longer the experience it was.

I miss meeting the Cabin Steward on our first day or at any time,  come to that. Our last 3 cruises (2 P and O , one MSC) we did not see the steward at  all, except for a vague figure in the distance when we left the cabin. Now we leave polite notes with our requests (They are few but necessary) and although the cabin is always cleaned it is usually to the lowest standard and I often find things missed or not bothered about. I miss seeing the officers walking around and nodding a greeting to us. A very small thing but I miss it. I miss having a chat with the staff, from cleaners upwards . Everyone is so busy because of staff shortages and cutbacks. I miss having my cappuccino in a cup not a takeaway container and I miss ordering the coffee from my chair. I can remember the days when in the MDR you were greeted by a smiling waiter, chair drawn out and upon taking your seat a napkin was folded in your lap. Menus would appear along with plenty of bread and never did you have to ask for water. And it came in a jug! I'm expecting the napkins in the MDR to be replaced soon by paper tissues all in the name of saving the planet. The entertainment nowadays is just okay, the venues are too full and the lack of service is mind blowing.  DH along with everyone else has to go to the bar where a waiter who is standing there will take his order and relay it to the bar staff and DH then brings it back to our table. Gone are the days when you got to know a waiter and your drink was served quickly and with a smile. Now you join a queue, serve yourself and woe betide if you want another drink within the next 30 minutes. I know I could probably get all this from Cunard or probably Celebrity/Princess but DH does not like the ships  or they do not do cruises from Southampton when we can get away. If one line can provide the service they used to why can't they all? The food is okay but not brilliant, the drinks are okay but a cocktail is now made quickly and loudly by a machine and I miss the old showing off of the bar staff as they made up a cocktail (Or even poured a beer or wine). Anything to make things an event!

As we get older  we tend to use the ship as our destination because getting off the ship is not the easiest thing for us but it is fast losing its appeal for me. 

Moan over. I know we are lucky to have the chance to cruise at all and the look on DHs face when we settle into the cabin on our first evening and sit on the balcony ready for sail away is always good to see. We will be back onboard soon so it can't be that bad , but I still miss the old days.

Oh dear, we are off to the canaries on the 22nd. Doesn’t sound like there is much to look forward to. I do agree with much of what was written though. We have done probably 15 cruises and never had a complaint about food or especially cleanliness.

Just now, Fionboard said:

Shame about your experiences. Don't know which ships you have been on lately but I get most of the above on Arcadia and Aurora. Smaller, more friendly and crew have more time to interact. Hope you continue to enjoy cruising. 🙂

Thankyou. We are going on Britannia in a few weeks so I'm hoping that brings the love back.. 

1 hour ago, Cooltocruise1 said:

I was musing with DH today about our past cruises ( Memories pinged in from google photos).   I am not sure how many cruises we have been on but it is A LOT. We have been cruising since the year dot and we have cruised different lines in all that time but now we mostly stick to P and O now because I am no longer able to tolerate flying and they leave from Southampton. DH still loves it but it is losing its charm for me and it is no longer the experience it was.

I miss meeting the Cabin Steward on our first day or at any time,  come to that. Our last 3 cruises (2 P and O , one MSC) we did not see the steward at  all, except for a vague figure in the distance when we left the cabin. Now we leave polite notes with our requests (They are few but necessary) and although the cabin is always cleaned it is usually to the lowest standard and I often find things missed or not bothered about. I miss seeing the officers walking around and nodding a greeting to us. A very small thing but I miss it. I miss having a chat with the staff, from cleaners upwards . Everyone is so busy because of staff shortages and cutbacks. I miss having my cappuccino in a cup not a takeaway container and I miss ordering the coffee from my chair. I can remember the days when in the MDR you were greeted by a smiling waiter, chair drawn out and upon taking your seat a napkin was folded in your lap. Menus would appear along with plenty of bread and never did you have to ask for water. And it came in a jug! I'm expecting the napkins in the MDR to be replaced soon by paper tissues all in the name of saving the planet. The entertainment nowadays is just okay, the venues are too full and the lack of service is mind blowing.  DH along with everyone else has to go to the bar where a waiter who is standing there will take his order and relay it to the bar staff and DH then brings it back to our table. Gone are the days when you got to know a waiter and your drink was served quickly and with a smile. Now you join a queue, serve yourself and woe betide if you want another drink within the next 30 minutes. I know I could probably get all this from Cunard or probably Celebrity/Princess but DH does not like the ships  or they do not do cruises from Southampton when we can get away. If one line can provide the service they used to why can't they all? The food is okay but not brilliant, the drinks are okay but a cocktail is now made quickly and loudly by a machine and I miss the old showing off of the bar staff as they made up a cocktail (Or even poured a beer or wine). Anything to make things an event!

As we get older  we tend to use the ship as our destination because getting off the ship is not the easiest thing for us but it is fast losing its appeal for me. 

Moan over. I know we are lucky to have the chance to cruise at all and the look on DHs face when we settle into the cabin on our first evening and sit on the balcony ready for sail away is always good to see. We will be back onboard soon so it can't be that bad , but I still miss the old days.

How odd we cruise 5/6 times a year and 

1 always see our cabin steward not long after getting to our room

2. Never had a problem with the cleaning our cabin.

3. Not bothered about seeing officers but they are coming back. On Britannia tow month ago, we chatted with the Cruise Director for 2 hours

4 We always chat to the staff, most particularly the cleaners

5. We have never had our coffee in a take away container, ever

6 Always had water served without asking and bread always appeared at the start of the service and there was always more if you wanted.

7 I have never had a problem getting a drink at the bar.

8 I have never seen a cocktail made by machine. This I find the oddest comment.

As I said all of the things you say you have missed I have had on every cruise I have been on and 10 of them have been since lockdown.

• Like 13

We’re on Britannia at the moment and can reassure you that, from our experience, all the things you miss or fear long gone, are very much alive and kicking 😊. Good level of staffing, chatty steward who introduced himself on first day, table drinks service, cocktails still shaken, main dining room staff who still ‘give you the works’ from arriving to leaving, officers often seen walking around and so on. We hope you feel reassured - enjoy your cruise…! 

• Like 7

Just now, Ginb56 said:

We’re on Britannia at the moment and can reassure you that, from our experience, all the things you miss or fear long gone, are very much alive and kicking 😊. Good level of staffing, chatty steward who introduced himself on first day, table drinks service, cocktails still shaken, main dining room staff who still ‘give you the works’ from arriving to leaving, officers often seen walking around and so on. We hope you feel reassured - enjoy your cruise…! 

Exactly. 

1 minute ago, Ginb56 said:

Thanks for that. It's certainly helped. I really wasn't looking forward to our next cruise but it seems I may have been unlucky / gone on the wrong cruise. Thanks for your kind words 

10 minutes ago, daiB said:

How odd we cruise 5/6 times a year and 

1 always see our cabin steward not long after getting to our room

2. Never had a problem with the cleaning our cabin.

3. Not bothered about seeing officers but they are coming back. On Britannia tow month ago, we chatted with the Cruise Director for 2 hours

4 We always chat to the staff, most particularly the cleaners

5. We have never had our coffee in a take away container, ever

6 Always had water served without asking and bread always appeared at the start of the service and there was always more if you wanted.

7 I have never had a problem getting a drink at the bar.

8 I have never seen a cocktail made by machine. This I find the oddest comment.

As I said all of the things you say you have missed I have had on every cruise I have been on and 10 of them have been since lockdown.

Thankyou for your reassurance that things can be better. It's nice to know that others are finding the things I miss. Gives me hope for better cruising experiences in the future

Biggest thing i have missed is the mandatory washing of hands before getting food, going to buffet. Used to have people stood telling you to wash hands. Now it seems people have forgotton how to wash their hands and just rely on the santiser dispensers, whilst walking past those of us who do spend 30 seconds washing hands. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Shame about your experiences. Don't know which ships you have been on lately but I get most of the above on Arcadia and Aurora. Smaller, more friendly and crew have more time to interact. Hope you continue to enjoy cruising. 🙂

1 hour ago, cruisingiscool said:

Thankyou. We are going on Britannia in a few weeks so I'm hoping that brings the love back.. 

That is possibly true @Fionboard, but unfortunately for many older or disabled passengers the newer ships provide far better facilities than Aurora and Arcadia, and this is a much higher priority when the ship is more important than the itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

That is possibly true @Fionboard, but unfortunately for many older or disabled passengers the newer ships provide far better facilities than Aurora and Arcadia, and this is a much higher priority when the ship is more important than the itinerary.

Not in my experience, particularly regarding lifts for wheelchair users, queues and crowding. .I  am an older passenger so let's agree to disagree! Each to their own. 😊 

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Was  your last cruise just after Covid with restrictions in  place?

One was and  with P and O. The other P and O was Iona which is where the biggest queues were and where we had the Costa coffee in a takeaway cup even tho we were sitting in the Costa bit. The other one was MSC. I'm definitely not a fan of MSC and won't be sailing with them again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingiscool said:

One was and  with P and O. The other P and O was Iona which is where the biggest queues were and where we had the Costa coffee in a takeaway cup even tho we were sitting in the Costa bit. The other one was MSC. I'm definitely not a fan of MSC and won't be sailing with them again. 

Think you will enjoy Britannia more than Iona. Don't worry. 😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Think you will enjoy Britannia more than Iona. Don't worry. 😊

Britannia is our favourite, but due to the glowing praise on this board, we have booked Arvia. We also enjoyed Iona. Lots of space, plenty of lifts and a good standard of food.

We just got off QM2 last week and our steward knocked on the door and introduced himself straight away. We also had evening turn down service which I wasn't expecting. Also had napkin placed on my lap. Everything was as it was pre-covid. The only difference was not as much choice on the evening menu but what there was excellent. I know it is a different cruise line but when our niece went on QV last year she said a lot of things were different to pre-covid. So I would say most ships are getting back to normal this year.

3 minutes ago, delgirl said:

We just got off QM2 last week and our steward knocked on the door and introduced himself straight away. We also had evening turn down service which I wasn't expecting. Also had napkin placed on my lap. Everything was as it was pre-covid. The only difference was not as much choice on the evening menu but what there was excellent. I know it is a different cruise line but when our niece went on QV last year she said a lot of things were different to pre-covid. So I would say most ships are getting back to normal this year.

I'm very hopeful you're right. I'm looking forward to the cruise on Britannia now. Everyone seems optimistic so fingers crossed.