Looking at Transatlantic Event British Theatre at Sea with the Olivier Awards

jpcello

I believe this is a regular (annual) Cunard event. Can someone offer some details about what is offered - lectures, classes, join-in activities, etc. Are they interesting, fun, informative? My sister and I are both theatre lovers (she actually works in the theatre) and we're looking for something different. In the spring we did a Broadway cruise (charter group of about 40) on Regent and that was good/fun but not really what we thought it would be. 

I called Cunard, but they really weren't much help. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

I believe my 2022 EB had a British Theatre Week/Olivier awards theme.  I didn’t book it because of the theme but once onboard was thoroughly impressed by the caliber of performers and cheerful onboard experience.   I am sorry but I didn’t keep any of the dailies, so this is from memory.  

I recall that all of the featured performers were at least West End veterans and many had won Olivier awards or were previously nominated.  Which is why I actually attended evening shows, which I seldom do on Cunard.   One night was twelve or so different artists singing a Broadway tune that they found meaningful. Other night featured a subset of artists singing songs with a different theme, like Lloyd Webber musicals or male singers.  Amazing performances by very, very talented artists.  Such a joy to watch. 

Instead of ballroom dance lessons, each day a West End choreographer taught a different dance sequence from a musical (like Grease, Chicago, etc.) and at the end of the week there was a passenger performance, which I didn’t attend.  I don’t recall what show the choreographer was currently working on - it was a well known one - but do recall how young, handsome, high energy and gracious he was.  I also recall wondering if he hated having to teach uncoordinated passengers to dance but duringthe last lesson, he mentioned how much he loved it as well as the energy of the passengers who would stop to talk to him and his husband all week. 

Also some of the performers would have more intimate cabaret shows upstairs in the [blanking on the name of the venue near the buffet] on deck seven later in the evening.  

Plus there were large replicas of Olivier award statuettes in the Queens Room and elsewhere. 

And I’m sure the lectures were on theme as well. I just didn’t attend them.  I vaguely remember contemplating attending a talk by a costume or set designer.  I do remember that there was a lot more to do each day than on other TAs I’ve been on.  That said, I’m not in the habit of attending everything, but what I did show up for, I enjoyed.  

Glad to see Cunard is doing another TA cruise with this theme.  And I say this as someone who found both a RADA-and a Royal Shakespeare-themed TA disappointing.  

Edited by RalphWiggum
  • Like 1