Stateroom baggage tags

scottie99

Absolutely no worried, no matter which port or which baggage drop off location you use (in BCN, there were 2 options!). The porter or VV crew member will print your tags and apply them.  THey just need your name.  Keep the tags on the bags--they are also used for disembarkation so your host does not need to re-tag things.  Not needed if you are doing self disembarkation.

The other thing VV does differently with bags is that we have always had them in our cabin 15-20 minutes after our check in!

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Now this I gotta see.  Last RC cruise, I didn't get luggage till after dinner.  Jezzzzzzzzzzz. 🤔

We dropped our carry ons, met our room steward, checked out the cabin, read all the literature on the desk, then said "let's go explore the ship" - opened the door and there they were.  YMMV

• Like 1

A few things to note - make sure the writing of the porter is legible. I bring my own Sharpie and rewrite neatly if necessary. Make sure the A or Z is included. And do not remove your tags for the duration of the cruise because they are used when you disembark as well (assuming you don’t plan to carry off your luggage). 

1 hour ago, greenenvy said:

A few things to note - make sure the writing of the porter is legible. I bring my own Sharpie and rewrite neatly if necessary. Make sure the A or Z is included. And do not remove your tags for the duration of the cruise because they are used when you disembark as well (assuming you don’t plan to carry off your luggage). 

That's good to know....we carried off this time (our first VV cruise) but might not next time.  If you don't carry off, how soon are the bags in the terminal?

1 hour ago, warmwinds said:

That's good to know....we carried off this time (our first VV cruise) but might not next time.  If you don't carry off, how soon are the bags in the terminal?

For Miami - it’s the most organized cruise departure I’ve ever had. They are sorted neatly arranged by floor and will be waiting for you (or at least should be) when you come down off the escalator in the terminal before you go through customs. 

Edited by greenenvy

Very quickly.....I suspect they start taking things off as soon as the ship docks very early in the morning.  If you forget and remove your luggage tags, your stateroom host will make new ones when you place your bags outside.....but that makes more work for the crew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greenenvy said:

For Miami - it’s the most organized cruise departure I’ve ever had. They are sorted neatly arranged by floor and will be waiting for you (or at least should be) when you come down off the escalator in the terminal before you go through customs. 

It won't be Miami, it will be San Juan.  Our flight is not until 1 pm so we won't be in any real hurry.

In Miami, when you say "arranged by floor" do you mean all Deck 10 are in this group, all Deck 11 are in this group, etc?

3 hours ago, warmwinds said:

In Miami, when you say "arranged by floor" do you mean all Deck 10 are in this group, all Deck 11 are in this group, etc?

Yes, there is an area for each deck on the ship. All of our bags were together within the group.  And NO trouble finding my ugly suitcases!  I bought them for exactly that purpose--they stand out in a crowd.

7 hours ago, warmwinds said:

It won't be Miami, it will be San Juan.  Our flight is not until 1 pm so we won't be in any real hurry.

Yes - there is a sign/stand that says Deck 10 and all deck 10 suitcases will be in a row near that sign. 

Not sure how organized San Juan will be but probably similar! 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:04 AM, Surfguyxxx said:

Now this I gotta see.  Last RC cruise, I didn't get luggage till after dinner.  Jezzzzzzzzzzz. 🤔

I have to say, as a "what if they lose my luggage*" worrier (not saying it's rational), having your room ready when you board and then having your big luggage show up not long after that makes embark day so much less stressful. 

(*and no I can't carry it on, I have never mastered the art of packing ultralight and I don't plan to. I do carry on all my 'important' stuff like meds and at least one change of clothes.)

• Like 1

If your luggage doesn't show up quickly on VV, contact Sailor Services well in advance of sail away so it can be located before the ship departs.  I've only once heard of a person claiming to have checked in luggage with a porter and not receiving it on the ship, but  with their history of rapid delivery of luggage, I wouldn't chance it if I didn't see it myself after any significant time delay.  Also, I'm a fan of Apple air tags.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

I have to say, as a "what if they lose my luggage*" worrier (not saying it's rational), having your room ready when you board and then having your big luggage show up not long after that makes embark day so much less stressful. 

(*and no I can't carry it on, I have never mastered the art of packing ultralight and I don't plan to. I do carry on all my 'important' stuff like meds and at least one change of clothes.)

We "carried off" but it wasn't "carry-on" luggage - we had 2 big rolling suitcases (both of which so big we have to check on the plane), PLUS our "carry on" purse and backpack.  It was nice to have the bags delivered on the front end but very easy to carry off on the back end (if you're in a hurry).

• Like 1

We carried on last time because we had experienced some rudeness from the luggage porter in Miami previously and because one bag was medical supplies/equipment and we couldn't risk losing that.  It was a pain, but not difficult. We found the luggage check in at the Barcelona terminal to be easier and didn't give me bad vibes.