Ocean Explorer stuck in Arctic ice?

Etta1213

22 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

She was not stuck in ice, She ran aground.  After several day and tries, She has been re-floated.  They think She is okay.

Just curious…I’ve referenced ships before as he/she.  Is there something we should know about a ships gender preference…or is this we, as cruisers, self assign.  Serious question…honestly.

15 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Just curious…I’ve referenced ships before as he/she.  Is there something we should know about a ships gender preference…or is this we, as cruisers, self assign.  Serious question…honestly.

Historically in English ship are female. That is why we have the term “mothership” but not “father ship.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Nowadays I think you have to ask them which pro-noun they prefer...

But I'm not quite certain.

• Haha 6

After doing a quick research, this is what I found.  In many of the ancient cultures, had female deities and goddesses associated with navigating the sea.  For example, the ancient Greeks believed in Aphrodite, while the ancient Romans worshiped Venus.  These Goddesses were connected sailing of the seas as well as protection, love and beauty.

Have you ever seen pictures off the early Viking sailing ships?  They all have a figure of a woman carved into the bow of thier ships.

Edited by www3traveler
add words for clarity
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

Historically in English ship are female. That is why we have the term “mothership” but not “father ship.”

Aaah. Yes, understandable. Thanks.  I have typically said “she” but never knew why…just instinct.

8 hours ago, www3traveler said:

She is a ship operated by a company out of Southern Norway.

Lots of ships are "Bahamas" flagged including all but ONE NCL ship for tax reasons.

Also lots of other regulatory reasons.

• Like 1