Soy-free options in Tamarind?

markbernstein56

Hi! We'll be sailing on the Koningsdam next year, and we can now make reservations for specialty dining. My wife is allergic to soy. Does anyone know if Tamarind, in particular, offers soy-free options? Or, for that matter, if this is an issue in any of the other dining venues, specialty or included? Thanks!

• Like 1

From the Accessibility section of HAL's Website https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/about/our-company/accessibility

For guests with food intolerances or allergies that are not life-threatening, please contact our Ship Services Department at (800) 541-1576. For guests with life-threatening food allergies, we ask that guests provide detailed information to our Guest Accessibility Department by completing a Special Requirements Information (SRI) Form. Guests should indicate on this form which foods may potentially cause a severe reaction.

Guests with a variety of severe food allergies sail with Holland America Line regularly. Our galley staff on board is accustomed to and experienced in dealing with these types of needs. The galley itself has many different areas of food preparation, which can help reduce the possibility of cross-contamination. It is important to note, however, that meals are prepared in mass quantities on board, thus there is always the possibility of some cross-contamination. As such, Holland America Line cannot guarantee that a guest will not come in contact with those items. Although our Guest Accessibility Department will provide the ship with an advance notice of all food allergies detailed on an SRI submitted to them, it is recommended that guests also contact the Dining Room Manager upon boarding to review the details of these special dietary needs.

The SRI can be found at https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

(Chrome browser recommended.)

Not sure but I have celiac.  All my meals have to be gluten free.  There are a number of items offered at Tamarind that are gluten-free (red curry, thai beef salad).  The soy sauce on board is not gluten-free. I have been assured by HAL staff that the gf items at the restaurant at gluten- and soy-free.  No reactions on my part (a sensitive celiac) so I do believe they are soy-free.

In general, HAL does a good job of providing safe food to eat once they are aware of one's dietary issues.

However, I would encourage your wife to fill out the special services form prior to your sailing and then to double check with the staff at the restaurant.  

36 minutes ago, markbernstein56 said:

Hi! We'll be sailing on the Koningsdam next year, and we can now make reservations for specialty dining. My wife is allergic to soy. Does anyone know if Tamarind, in particular, offers soy-free options? Or, for that matter, if this is an issue in any of the other dining venues, specialty or included? Thanks!

Just got off a 39-Day cruise with my wife's brother and sister. Her sister also has a soy allergy, and she had no problems on the cruise. She checked in with both the head waiter and chief when we got on ship and was very happy with what they told her for dining options. She was also able to pre order her meals in the dining room and specialty restaurants   the day before. Did not go to Tamarind as it was not on our ship, but from Lido to specialty restaurants she was well taken care of.

Hope this helps.

Tom

My soy allergy is very mild and I can have small amounts without setting it off. I haven't had any problems in the different dining venues, although I haven't tried Tamarind or the sushi place. I would love to hear if they can accommodate soy allergies.

Yes, Tamarind can accommodate soy allergies.  I’m sensitive to everything soy, including lecithin.  I did not pre order in Tamarind like in the main dining room.  The server told me what was made with soy.  I’m always a little nervous eating in Asian restaurants due to the possibility of cross contamination.  Happy to report I have eaten in Tamarind on the Rotterdam and N. Amsterdam with no after affects.  As a side note, I also braved the breakfast pastries and they were “safe” as well.  And, it is possible to request olive oil and balsamic vinegar for salad too!

I agree with Post #2 --- I did have some issues in the Tamarind -- what I ordered the 1st time was presented to me, when I ordered the same items the next time I was told, that with my soy allergy, I couldn't have whatever it was.....