Koningsdam Main Theater Entertainment

mattR

No Broadway type shows.  The main theater is really nice but seems to currently be underutilized.  Depending on the length of cruise and itinerary it varies.  They offer the Step One Dance Company dance programs, occasional guest performances of piano or singing.  Occasional classical music quartet is being introduced on some sailings.  There may be a comedian on the main stage.  There are a few presentations of different subjects by the Cruise Director such as talks about the working of the ship, local history, HAL history or other topics.

Again, look for "Live From" threads from this year to get more details.  There are three good ones posted below to get you started.  Search function worked well  this time!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

I was on there last December. As on the other ships, you get 4 contracted dancers, doing one of 3 shows that are the same on every ship, no production or Broadway shows--part of cutbacks years ago, since they didn't want to pay singers and dancers to be on the ship full-time. But wait, you also get to see a nature documentary! With the Lincoln Center musicians pretending to play over a deafening recorded soundtrack, and of course part of a corporate sponsorship. The closest thing to a show is the Billboard piano duo singing along to a Billboard corporate show of hits over the years, with the 4 dancers. Unfortunately, the piano players aren't the professional singers that every other cruise line is willing to pay for, so you can get some weak and embarrassing vocals and piano players trying to dance. I met a former HAL singer/dancer on Celebrity Apex, which had amazing production shows in two different venues, with two complete casts, and we were both missing the good production shows I saw him perform in on Westerdam years ago. It's sort of a shame, because the Koningsdam has a nice theater with good visuals and a deafening sound system (I'd bring earplugs), and they could do so much with it, as Celebrity does with their state-of-the-art theaters, but interpretive dance really isn't a way to dazzle anyone or to match the competition. 

5 minutes ago, mattR said:

Is no main theater show entertainment standard across all HAL ships or do they still do main Theater shows on the older ships?   

What exactly do you mean by "main theater shows"? There are entertainment shows in the main theaters as described in previous posts. The entertainment has been described in the best way I can think of in post #2.  The other ships seem to offer pretty much the same main stage shows based on reviews here on CC.  The larger Pinnacle ships do have more choices for evening music and restaurants than the smaller ships.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you want to know about the shows that hasn't been explained.  I'll try to answer!

~Nancy

18 hours ago, oakridger said:

What exactly do you mean by "main theater shows"? There are entertainment shows in the main theaters as described in previous posts. The entertainment has been described in the best way I can think of in post #2.  The other ships seem to offer pretty much the same main stage shows based on reviews here on CC.  The larger Pinnacle ships do have more choices for evening music and restaurants than the smaller ships.

Maybe you could elaborate on what you want to know about the shows that hasn't been explained.  I'll try to answer!

~Nancy

Shows like they have on NCL or RCCL.  Large dance production shows, Acrobats, Magicians, Comedians ect.   On those other cruise lines it's a main part of the evening entertainment they have two shows and probably 60%+ of the ship attends one of the two shows.  A main show in the big theater not side shows with a hundred people or so in a lounge. 

I haven't been on NCL or RCCl since 1990 so other than what I have read about I don't know what they have. I know HAL and Crystal only (for now).

Here is my HAL evening entertainment experience:

Main Theater.  I'll break it down a little. 

- There are no large dance production shows. 

- The Step One dance company has about six dancers to prerecorded music. 2-3 shows per week

- There are no Broadway type productions

- Occasionally there is a Magician.

- Most cruises there is at least one comedian (1 or 2 shows per week).

- Some cruises there may be a Classical Quartet (this is a new and developing program)

- There is usually a singing group show.  It varies but maybe a male foursome. 

- Occasionally there is a guest instrumentalist.  Piano, guitar, other?  It varies also.

- BBC Nature Movie on the main stage possibly

- A fairly current Movie on the main stage MAYBE in the non Pinnacle class ships (those have a large        movie screen in the Lido Pool area)

If you want the large-scale production shows on your cruises than HAL is not the line for you.  HAL has smaller and more "laid back" ships.

Any other questions?

I hope this helps,

~Nancy

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mattR said:

To me this is crazy

It is.  Not what passengers want.  Management is aware that people want better entertainment so now we need to see what they do about that.  HAL is upping their game in the MDR based on the info that just came out today about the new fresh offerings.  That's one step forward!

On 9/19/2023 at 8:23 PM, mattR said:

Shows like they have on NCL or RCCL.  Large dance production shows, Acrobats, Magicians, Comedians ect.   On those other cruise lines it's a main part of the evening entertainment they have two shows and probably 60%+ of the ship attends one of the two shows.  A main show in the big theater not side shows with a hundred people or so in a lounge. 

I haven't been on these lines for a long time, but I think I know what you mean. And the answer is, for the most part, no. No production shows with singers and dancers. Step One is pre-recorded music and backdrops that the dancers sort of interact with, but it isn't what I think of as a "production show."

I don't know that I'd say it's crazy. More like pitiful?

• Like 1