Ferry Times

wwiems23

Sailing on the Viva (3300 person capacity) at the the end of January and we are in Port from 8-5. Another ship (2500 person capacity) is also in port from 7-6 that day. I know the NCL excursions leave at 8:15 and 10:15 so I was thinking going it would be best to the the 10:40am ferry and returning on the 3:30pm ferry. Is the 3:30pm ferry too late to make it back to the ship? Has anyone taken it? 

Do you think we will be able to avoid most of the crowds this way?

My original plan was to try to beat the cruise ships to The Baths but I don't think that option is possible with the cruise ship excursions departing so early.

Yes avoiding the crowds that you are a part of is just very challenging…Most of your fellow passengers, and those on the other ship, have the same concerns. If you are arriving on January 29 that is much bette than the following week, the other ship that day (NCL Arvia) has 5,200 passengers!

As you noted, NCL offers two excursions to the Baths, plus a few other excursions to Virgin Gorda, and I like your idea of taking the 10:40 ferry over on your own…

When we’ve stayed on Tortola (on land vacations) we would hook up with one of the taxi drivers at the Virgin Gorda marina and take advantage of his/her experience with getting around. We’d go to Virgin Gorda (and Jost Van Dyke) when no ships were in port of course. But you can still use the driver’s experience to avoid the worst of your fellow cruise ship crowds. Of course anyone else following this thread can do the same. An alternative is to rent a car from Mahogany, but the taxi fares in the Valley area are affordable, especially for a couple.

I can see the driver suggesting dropping you at Savannah Bay where you can relax on the beautiful beach while the crowds are at the Baths, and possibly Spring Bay, then Mad Dog’s for a bite before or after the Baths.

You could even take a backpack with towels, sunscreen, etc, and when the driver drops you at the Top of the Baths leave items with him/her that you don’t want to carry. The drivers are very friendly and helpful!

[EDIT] Forgot to answer your most important question! Yes we would not have a problem taking the 3:30 return. The ferries are quite reliable, and they run more ferries when needed. But I would plan on being back in line at the marina 30 minutes early…

Edited by blue_water

1 hour ago, wwiems23 said:

Thank you, this info is super helpful!

Sure! If you are interested in snorkeling I know there is a good spot at Savannah. We’ve not snorkeled there but you can learn more from others on the TripAdvisor Virgin Gorda forum…

Meant to add that the nice thing about working with one driver who drops you at different spots and returns (when you call or at an agreed upon time) is you can actually take more with you, like snorkel gea, and leave it with the driver when you go down to the Baths…Makes for a nicer day!