Tipping on Excursions

david63

On 9/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, Lois R said:

I always bring Euros with me when I go to Europe and I make sure I have plenty of 5's for tipping.

Maybe I am just an odd ball (been called worse)....but it is very easy to get Euros locally and why would I give someone a US $ dollar if they live in Europe. I don't think someone here in the states wants a Euro as payment for something. 

Now, I just came back from a cruise that ended in Copenhagen......they have the Krone but I was only there for 1 day and did not get any of that money. I went on a tour and I asked the guide if they accepted Euros and they said yes so I was able to tip him. (I paid for the tour with a Credit card).

Anyway, I always tip a good guide.

We also always bring Euros and make sure we have small change after finding out that many bathrooms in Europe require you to pay to use the restroom. In the US, there are places that indicate a tip would be appreciated, but the attendant in many bathrooms in Europe made it clear that you had to pay to enter. We keep the leftover small denominations and bring it next time. 

In SW Florida, it is not easy to exchange US dollars for any other currency. We were once able to exchange 100 US dollars for euros at one of our local banks, and not only was the exchange rate bad, but there was a substantional transaction fee. The other option offered was to have the foreign currency sent to us, with a bad exchange rate, a transaction fee, and shipping. Now that we have enough to pay for the bathroom on arrival, and a tip or 2, we find a place that takes US dollars, pay with that, and keep the local currency they give us as change. We've always found that it cost less than exchanging in advance. Even the airports here are very expensive for currency exchange.

6 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We also always bring Euros and make sure we have small change after finding out that many bathrooms in Europe require you to pay to use the restroom.

Many now take cards so no need for cash.

6 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Even the airports here are very expensive for currency exchange.

That applies the world over.

7 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We also always bring Euros and make sure we have small change after finding out that many bathrooms in Europe require you to pay to use the restroom. In the US, there are places that indicate a tip would be appreciated, but the attendant in many bathrooms in Europe made it clear that you had to pay to enter. We keep the leftover small denominations and bring it next time. 

In SW Florida, it is not easy to exchange US dollars for any other currency. We were once able to exchange 100 US dollars for euros at one of our local banks, and not only was the exchange rate bad, but there was a substantional transaction fee. The other option offered was to have the foreign currency sent to us, with a bad exchange rate, a transaction fee, and shipping. Now that we have enough to pay for the bathroom on arrival, and a tip or 2, we find a place that takes US dollars, pay with that, and keep the local currency they give us as change. We've always found that it cost less than exchanging in advance. Even the airports here are very expensive for currency exchange.

Most European ATMs will accept a Visa/Mastercard DEBIT card and dispense Euros for you. There will be a transaction fee for it and obviously an exchange rate, but we have found both very reasonable and definitely cheaper than going to a bank. Airports are the most expensive places worldwide.

On 9/22/2023 at 11:53 PM, Simon-t said:

I think it varies enormously. Tipping in restaurants is common in the UK, but the only people who tip in pubs are US tourists. It’s not insulting at all, and I doubt any bar person will turn the tip down, but it can across as a bit brash.

Well we Brits don't tip as such in pubs but many will offer 'one for yourself' if it's a very big round or you have been there all evening or it's your local etc but generally it's a one off, certainly not a tip for every drink! (Or maybe it's just a 'Northern thing 😁).

Edited by Techno123

On 10/1/2023 at 6:11 AM, Techno123 said:

Well we Brits don't tip as such in pubs but many will offer 'one for yourself' if it's a very big round or you have been there all evening or it's your local etc but generally it's a one off, certainly not a tip for every drink! (Or maybe it's just a 'Northern thing 😁).

One certainly can tell the difference between pubs that are in tourist areas and those that are not.  The last time we were in London, we popped into a more touristy pub because it was a convenient meeting place.  They had "tap and tip" setups where you could just tap a card and (supposedly) tip 2 or 3 pounds. 🤨

We just returned from the Silver Nova, sailing from Barcelona to Lisbon with stops in Morocco and Gibraltar.  While we weren't a "tipping culture" area, I'm one of those Americans who still actually enjoys tipping when someone does an exceptional job for one reason or another.  To be clear, I tip out of appreciation rather than a sense of obligation.  I did not tip every guide on this trip, but there were a number that were absolutely fantastic that I truly wanted to give them something.

When I did tip, I did so in euros.  We only had 3 stops that were not EU, and those were happy to accept euros.  It's too easy to pull some out of an ATM at an excellent exchange rate (and our bank refunds transaction fees to a point).  We tend to buy only trinkets as souvenirs (mostly refrigerator magnets), so it's easy to break larger notes into 5s or 10s.  I had to be a little conscious of what I was doing with our currency, but it was hardly an effort.  Just think enough to pay for the magnet with a 20 instead of a 5 or tapping.

Just a heads-up to everyone.  While much of Europe has gone cashless, not everywhere has.  You'll have no problems at all using a credit card if you stick to the hectic, overpriced tourist areas filled with cruise passengers, but why in the world would you want to do that?  If you get out of those spots, then you may very well find places that are absolutely wonderful but that accept only local currency or credit cards from local banks.  Your Visa/MC/AMEX will be useful only as a coaster.