Big Bus Hop on Hop Off Bus

whoah

We booked this bus for London and I wish the reviews I read mentioned that there is very little commentary and that mostly it’s music.  If I wanted music, I have my phone.  This is the pre-recorded commentary which was only a few sentences here and there along the route.  I found myself seeing things along the way and wondered what it is but of course the recording doesn’t tell you.  

I recommend doing research into which tours have a live person doing a commentary.

9 hours ago, whoah said:

We booked this bus for London and I wish the reviews I read mentioned that there is very little commentary and that mostly it’s music.  If I wanted music, I have my phone.  This is the pre-recorded commentary which was only a few sentences here and there along the route.  I found myself seeing things along the way and wondered what it is but of course the recording doesn’t tell you.  

I recommend doing research into which tours have a live person doing a commentary.

We did a HOHO (red bus I believe) can't remember the company name but it was great live commentary. Agree...do your research.

It would be very unusual for a ho-ho operator to choose to provide music rather than in-depth commentary - perhaps this was due to the bus making slower progress than usual.

On ho-hos worldwide audio-commentary for each sight is triggered by GPS.

The length of commentary for each sight allows a short gap between each segment for a bus which is running to schedule

Butt if the bus is held up by traffic there is a longer gap before the next sight is triggered. This can't be resolved by more in-depth information because commentary for one sight would be chopped-off by the GPS signal for the next sight.  

For  this reason we've experienced periods of silence from earphones in various cities - perhaps music rather than commentary has exacerbated these gaps.

Those are times when a live guide earns their corn 😏.

JB 🙂