Early October Mediterranean cruise - how cold at night? Will I need a fleece?

lisa6191

We are leaving on a cruise to Greece and Turkey on October 1. As of now, the weather looks beautiful, mid to high 70’s during the day and mid 60’s at night. I had originally planned to wear sleeveless sundresses at dinner, but I’m thinking I might be cold. Do you think I will need more than a cardigan/shawl though? Trying to decide if there is any reason I would need anything as warm as a fleece or something like that. How cold does it get on deck at night? This is my first cruise outside of the Caribbean, so I am used to warm nights. Thanks!

Weather dot com 'monthly averages' will give you what you need to plan.  Average September and October and you'll have a good idea of what to bring.  I've done a lot of travelling in autumn, and always pack layers.  For days, a windbreaker over a long-sleeved shirt generally keeps me comfy.  It really depends on how much sun and what the wind is like.  Walking on the deck can be COLD, night or day, fleece probably perfect.  I would think that sleeveless at night would need a cardigan or something, but I'm always too warm so I bring short sleeves mostly.

I've cruised the Med many times in October, and yes it can get chilly at night. The temperature and the wind created by the ship's movement make it feel cooler than the actual temp. 

A heavier cardigan would probably work just as well. And I'd also be sure to pack a lightweight rain jacket. You can run into some showers in October in the Med as well.

What is the temperature like on the balconies? We were trying to figure out whether it is worth the cost to upgrade to a balcony for an October Mediterranean cruise.  I’m sure the wind will make it feel much colder. I’m curious if others find it worth the extra cost.

Oh my, I wouldn't cruise if I couldn't spend lots of time on my balcony!  Aft-facing balconies are my favorite.  Wind might be stronger in other locations.  Almost always have my coffee out there, cocktails too;  read, relax and watch the water go by.  Always out there for sailaway and coming into port.  If it's cold, I just put on my jacket.  If it's really windy, I put up the hood.  

1 hour ago, lisa6191 said:

@cruisemom42 kind of random question, but will I need insect repellant? We will be in Greece and Turkey, first half of October. I wouldn't think so but wanted to check with someone who has been there!

Hmmmm, I've never needed it, but I may not be the best person to ask as biting insects never seem to bother me.