Bidding on upgrades

summersbappi

There is no right answer. 

If you’re trying to move to a ocean view or balcony, a bid in the “poor” range is ok. A poor bid is unlikely to win a suite, but it does happen. You are actively bidding against others. It depends on your shipmates.

No one has figured out what the award criteria is. NCL uses a 3rd party firm (the same company used by Royal and others). 

See link below for other comments. 

1 hour ago, summersbappi said:

Hi we are on norweigian epic November it's the first time with ncl I've just had an email asking if I want to bid to upgrade cabin has anyone bid and if so how much above the suggested bidding price should you go ? Tia

How high you should go depends upon how badly you want an upgrade.  

The upper limit is the cost to outright purchase an upgrade.

There is no assurance that there are even cabins available.  The cruise lines will often offer cabins for bid on the off chance that no-shows or cancellations will result in vacancies.

Do "dummy booking"  to see how many cabins are available in the class you are interested in. If the ship is undersold you have an excellent shot for upgrading. Unless there are a lot of unsold suites chances are it is less likely. Another thing to watch - when you're checking see if the current price makes it worth just upgrading. My next TA i found my offer was almost same as getting my choice of available balconies from my studio booking. Dropped the upgrade bid and have a midship balcony.

25 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

Do "dummy booking"  to see how many cabins are available in the class you are interested in. If the ship is undersold you have an excellent shot for upgrading. Unless there are a lot of unsold suites chances are it is less likely. Another thing to watch - when you're checking see i0 f the current price makes it worth just upgrading. My next TA i found my offer was almost same as getting my choice of available balconies from my studio booking. Dropped the upgrade bid and have a midship balcony.

If you're technologically challenged like me: Log out of NCL site. Close the webpage.  Go to settings to delete browsing history. (This is Android PC- not sure how to delete history in Apple Safari.) Go back to ncl website and Exp[ore, Find a cruise search for your sailing and do a  mock booking - it wont double book you since you quit after you check out available cabins because you quit before you register and pay. This is obvious to most people, but as a mid 70s senior I had to ask how to do this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, summersbappi said:

Hi we are on norweigian epic November it's the first time with ncl I've just had an email asking if I want to bid to upgrade cabin has anyone bid and if so how much above the suggested bidding price should you go ? Tia

please keep in mind that the price you bid for the upgrade is PER PERSON ( not per cabin).  If two of you are in the cabin, and bid $300.00, the total charged ( should you win) will be $600.00.  t least that's how it used to be.

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

please keep in mind that the price you bid for the upgrade is PER PERSON ( not per cabin).  If two of you are in the cabin, and bid $300.00, the total charged ( should you win) will be $600.00.  t least that's how it used to be.

Excellent point.

It's not really per person though, it's just doubled per cabin.  If you have more than 2 in the cabin, you still just pay double your bid (not per person), if you have only one in the cabin, you pay double your bid.

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is no right answer. 

For sure. A mock booking will tell you if the rooms you've bid on are sold out. But then, a last-minute cancellation is not unheard of. You can always hold out hope, even while you're in line to board the ship.

57 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

For sure. A mock booking will tell you if the rooms you've bid on are sold out. But then, a last-minute cancellation is not unheard of. You can always hold out hope, even while you're in line to board the ship.

In line to board the ship, they are only working on filling the suites. They could care less about moving someone from an inside to ocean view. 

The last Haven upgrade we won, the Haven was sold out for months. We got upgraded the Friday before a Sunday embarkation. And it was a ripple when one of the Deluxe Owner's Suites cancelled or was released. I know the guy who won the DOS and he bid thousands to move from a HG forward facing haven to the DOS. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

In line to board the ship, they are only working on filling the suites. They could care less about moving someone from an inside to ocean view. 

The last Haven upgrade we won, the Haven was sold out for months. We got upgraded the Friday before a Sunday embarkation. And it was a ripple when one of the Deluxe Owner's Suites cancelled or was released. I know the guy who won the DOS and he bid thousands to move from a HG forward facing haven to the DOS. 

Yes, I'm really only talking about last minute Haven upgrades. We haven't bid "thousands" (well, maybe). You got that HG cabin from your guy who moved to the DOS, right? So, you know, sometimes s happens. 🙂

• Like 1