Returning to P&O

killaypirate

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

And at least with P And O you have the choice of having a great value cruise and adding high end speciality food to it on board and still getting great value

Rather than just having a MUCH more expensive cruise from the get go

People would never compare what you get paying 80k for a car compared to 30k

Or what you get paying 1M for a house compared to 400k

But with cruises on here people are comparing entirely different priced products alongside each other all the time

And even comparing P and O now to P and O 15 years ago is not relevant as pricewise against cost of living P and O seems to be the only place where prices haven't actuallty one up???

Personally I way prefer the current offering I get from Arvia now at the current price to the offering I got from Azura over 10 years ago at the price back then

Much wider choice of food and bar options now. Much wider choice of entertainment and activities now. Plus way more modern facilities on the ships.

Only thing that's got worse for me is Wi-Fi costs 

It's alright to stress the price difference between P&O and other lines, and equate that with a comparison of a Ford vs a BMW, however in todays market you do expect the Ford to provide you with an engine and brakes that work, and a car that performs better than the one you just traded in, even if it's not as luxurious as a BMW. What you dont expect or in fact get, is a car that's not fit for purpose, whereas I maintain that the current worst examples of P&Os MDR meals and menus, are way below an acceptable standard, as compared with years gone by.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It's alright to stress the price difference between P&O and other lines, and equate that with a comparison of a Ford vs a BMW, however in todays market you do expect the Ford to provide you with an engine and brakes that work, and a car that performs better than the one you just traded in, even if it's not as luxurious as a BMW. What you dont expect or in fact get, is a car that's not fit for purpose, whereas I maintain that the current worst examples of P&Os MDR meals and menus, are way below an acceptable standard, as compared with years gone by.

But you are paying a lot less in real terms than “years gone by”, so again it’s an unfair comparison - you aren’t comparing like with like. Stick the cost of a cruise from 5-10 years ago into the BofE’s inflation calculator and prepare to be taken aback. 

About the only thing that hasn’t gone up in price significantly over the past couple of years  is my P&O cruise. 

I don’t consider the MDR food “below acceptable standard”. If anyone does they can hit the buffet or pony up for the Epicurean. Or pay extra and go on Celebrity or whoever. Like I said you pay your money and take your choice. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Totally disagree that P and O MDR is not fit for purpose or below an acceptable standard 

Other than when things have gone seriously wrong on a given night and they aren't delivering what they intend  to deliver

And if you are comparing standards to many years ago the higher end choices by and large are available on the ships. Much wider choices of foods from all cuisines available on the big ships

And it now appears some high end items will be finding themselves back in MDR menus as well

And the fact they come with a supplement is very much countered by the comparative very low price to cruise with P and O now compared to the old days

On all counts P and O is  offering the best opportunities to dine and drink than ever before IMO

In the old days drinks would be standard gin and tonic, rum and coke, vodka and orange etc

Food would be buffet, MDR and maybe 1 or 2 speciality restaurants with prawn cocktail and the odd lobster meal thrown in to get everybody excited 

Prawn cocktail unless it's some deconstructed fine dining new concept of it wouldn't even get close to find dining menus nowadays. Too basic, too standard

If one of the amateurs served it on Masterchef they  would get laughed at and would be out first week

I could make 5,000 prawn cocktails myself in a day if you put the ingredients in front of me

Yet older cruisers on her consider it part of the glory days of MDR on P and O?

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Only thing that's got worse for me is Wi-Fi costs 

At the moment 15% off the packages if you buy in advance plus your discount for Peninsular.  Just purchased ours for January- my Peninsular discount is 8 1/2% and that came off too.  Total for Ultimate Internet package was £196.  My 2 week Arvia one in May was £230.58 for the same package.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

New dress code for Formal nights…….😏

IMG_2536.thumb.jpeg.f716b41eb616854a363bb9642ef56919.jpeg

That actually looks like one of my old school uniforms?

Fairfield Loughborough?

The feeder school to Loughborough Grammar

Meals at Fairfield were horrible. Prunes, semolina with jam, cold bananas in  custard. 

No choice at all

Scarred me for life

At Loughborough Grammar we got a choice and even got chips on Wednesday and Fridays

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

At the moment 15% off the packages if you buy in advance plus your discount for Peninsular.  Just purchased ours for January- my Peninsular discount is 8 1/2% and that came off too.  Total for Ultimate Internet package was £196.  My 2 week Arvia one in May was £230.58 for the same package.

Hope that helps.

Very much helps never thought to buy in advance

Much appreciated MB

I'm also going to really monitor any downtime and claim refunds at end of cruise if I'm impacted by them

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

@Interestedcruisefan oh, I love a prawn cocktail…..🤣🤣🤣

So do my mum and dad. My wife likes them as well on occasions.

But like I say zero skill in making them and extremely basic food

And given the choice my wife would want larger prawns cooked in garlic and/or chilli etc now

Let's be honest prawn cocktail goes back to the time when your choices were grapefruit segments starter with a cherry in the middle or glass of orange juice or minestrone soup.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Very much helps never thought to buy in advance

Much appreciated MB

I'm also going to really monitor any downtime and claim refunds at end of cruise if I'm impacted by them

Glad to help.  Let me know how you get on. Nightmare with the personaliser at the moment as the flight booking site has crashed everything apparently.  Couldn't finish my excursion/internet booking yesterday but worked okay for that side at 10.00am.  Flight checker according to my contact yesterday has caused a meltdown!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That actually looks like one of my old school uniforms?

Fairfield Loughborough?

The feeder school to Loughborough Grammar

Meals at Fairfield were horrible. Prunes, semolina, bananas in  custard. 

No choice at all

Scarred me for life

At Loughborough Grammar we got a choice and even got chips on Wednesday and Fridays

Hi

P&O should be embarrassed to put this on a MDR menu,,like your Prawn Cocktail this is food from a age now passed for cruise ship dining.This is school dinner food,,or as my old mam used to say ‘Stodge’.

Pps,I’ve had some lovely Prawn Cocktail on some ships depends whether it’s shrimps (P&O) or prawns (Celebrity or Fred Olsen) and the sauce used.

IMG_2537.jpeg.36c24a8341639bad497961f639f754d2.jpeg

• Like 1

I certainly agree that the steak and kidney pie and bread and butter pudding qualify as school dinner fodder - even donkey's years ago when I was at school under post-war rationing.  But I imagine there are normally more exciting things on the included dinner menu.  I would feel pretty insulted if that was the only choice.

5 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

P&O should be embarrassed to put this on a MDR menu,,like your Prawn Cocktail this is food from a age now passed for cruise ship dining.This is school dinner food,,or as my old mam used to say ‘Stodge’.

Pps,I’ve had some lovely Prawn Cocktail on some ships depends whether it’s shrimps (P&O) or prawns (Celebrity or Fred Olsen) and the sauce used.

I get your sentiment but I'm sure they are attempting to offer retro type food as well there (assume it main and dessert you are questioning)

On the menu shown above would have been leg of lamb main for me

And Chocolate marquise plus a second dessert honey panacotta

I actually like bread and butter pudding as well but with ice cream not custard. Would wait til that's on at the buffet though. 

(Asking for 3 desserts might have been pushing it) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I certainly agree that the steak and kidney pie and bread and butter pudding qualify as school dinner fodder - even donkey's years ago when I was at school under post-war rationing.  But I imagine there are normally more exciting things on the included dinner menu.  I would feel pretty insulted if that was the only choice.

It's not

The rest of the menu included plenty of decent choices 

There's always a good roast every night as well

14 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So do my mum and dad. My wife likes them as well on occasions.

But like I say zero skill in making them and extremely basic food

And given the choice my wife would want larger prawns cooked in garlic and/or chilli etc now

Let's be honest prawn cocktail goes back to the time when your choices were grapefruit segments starter with a cherry in the middle or glass of orange juice or tomato soup.

Ha ha. You are so right. Oh my, I could just eat jumbo prawns sautéed in garlic…..

I remember my parents had a set of grapefruit glasses in which half a grapefruit was plonked along with a cherry. We also had a special knife to separate the segments. Thanks for that memory!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

If that was the full menu I’d agree but it’s only a small selection of it as per the original post. Having done a long cruise in the past we got to the point where we craved ‘normal’ food so whilst it wouldn’t appeal to me as a pescatarian my husband would have maybe appreciated it.

I had a quick mooch through other boards and there are complaints about the standard of food on most of them, including Celebrity and Cunard which goes to show how subjective the perceived quality of food is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I get your sentiment but I'm sure they are attempting to offer retro type food as well there (assume it main and dessert you are questioning)

On the menu shown above would have been leg of lamb main for me

And Chocolate marquise plus a second dessert honey panacotta

I actually like bread and butter pudding as well but with ice cream not custard. Would wait til that's on at the buffet though. 

(Asking for 3 desserts might have been pushing it) 

Hi.

You post of modern up to date food choices not food from ages ago,,,,,,and you choose the leg of lamb,,,,yeh right.

Two slices of lamb a scoop of spuds and a few slices of green beans.

With a chocolate mousse,,,,,,,the fancy name doesn’t impress me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

If that was the full menu I’d agree but it’s only a small selection of it as per the original post. Having done a long cruise in the past we got to the point where we craved ‘normal’ food so whilst it wouldn’t appeal to me as a pescatarian my husband would have maybe appreciated it.

I had a quick mooch through other boards and there are complaints about the standard of food on most of them, including Celebrity and Cunard which goes to show how subjective the perceived quality of food is.

I hazard a guess plenty of people happily chose steak and kidney pie and bread and butter pudding regardless

For old times sake etc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Hi

As a P&O and Celebrity cruiser I have criticised both on this board and the X board.

It’s those who believe in “My P&O right or wrong’ that I challenge.

To keep the thread on topic,,,,I simply believe standards and quality have dropped on P&O since shutdown……..and Celebrity.

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi.

You post of modern up to date food choices not food from ages ago,,,,,,and you choose the leg of lamb,,,,yeh right.

Two slices of lamb a scoop of spuds and a few slices of green beans.

With a chocolate mousse,,,,,,,the fancy name doesn’t impress me.

Lol

I was out last Sunday and said to my wife sometimes theres nothing better you can want to eat than roast lunch

The roasts on the MDR menus and the chicken are my fall backs when I don't fancy anything else

The new signature dishes if they stay make my choices even harder. But in a good way!!

Equally sometimes theres nothing to beat a good fish and chips

• Like 3

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

I hazard a guess plenty of people happily chose steak and kidney pie and bread and butter pudding regardless

For old times sake etc

I know my late Mum would have as she was a very plain eater and she wasn’t alone in that respect. I read some posts on this board and wonder why the heck some people put themselves through the horror (in their minds) of a P&O Cruise 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2