First cruise - Wonder of the Seas - my thoughts

paulfoel

20 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Op, we’ve only cruised in Europe and have only had a similar experience sailing out of Southampton. We were on a sailing to the med from Southampton where a lot of people had drinks packages included in the fare and it was chaos. On one of the sea days the pub on the royal promenade was overflowing at noon. Another day, we took our kids out of the lift, to make way for a woman being carried by her partner. That was around 2 - 3pm. Over the course of that Summer there were a number of fights where people were thrown out at the next port. 
We’ve sailed western and eastern Mediterranean since and it’s a lot more family friendly. The odd idiot adult and loud child but that can happen anywhere. 

Never done a Europe cruise but I can imagine.......

Holiday flights from the UK to certain european destinations can be a bit like that. Couple of times seen group of lads early morning flight, totally smashed, misbehaving on plane, arriving then getting sent straight home.

2 hours ago, paulfoel said:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm in no way trying to paint the nation with a broad brush. 26 vacations to the US in 27 years will tell you that I'm a pretty big fan of the US!

If anything, I avoid areas in Florida (International Drive in Orlando for instance) that Brits tend to populate. Don't get me going how some Brits refuse to tip the correct amount because "we don't do that much in the UK". In my mind, your country, your customs I'm just a visitor.

BTW - impressed to be called British not English. (British but NOT English - I'm from Wales - something that confuses a lot of people in the US)

Have been to the UK many times, barely in Wales though, but most everywhere else.  Folks from the UK seem to identify by their traditional nationality, IE Welsh, Scot, Irish, etc.  When someone identifies themselves are British they are telling me, I am NOT ENGLISH.  

By the way, I own a 2 year old Welsh Terrier (3rd one of those and this one is going to break me of that trend!).  

JC

30 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Have been to the UK many times, barely in Wales though, but most everywhere else.  Folks from the UK seem to identify by their traditional nationality, IE Welsh, Scot, Irish, etc.  When someone identifies themselves are British they are telling me, I am NOT ENGLISH.  

By the way, I own a 2 year old Welsh Terrier (3rd one of those and this one is going to break me of that trend!).  

JC

Yes of course. Fiercely independent. You probably know we have our own sports teams, national anthems, own language (not everyone speaks it in wales - about 40%), definitely own culture.

We're all governed centeally from London and we are all BRITISH according to passports. Wales, Scotland, N Ireland do have some devolved powers (not convinced it works).

Saying that I've worked in England, studied in England etc etc (its about 30 mins drive to the border for me). When I worked there used to tell everyone I was an international commuter.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:34 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Maybe it's because we avoid the main pool area like the plague and don't hang out in the bars but I somehow never experience anything like this, including on Wonder in June.

I fully believe you guys so I can only assume it's b/c we're boring, lol. We spend our time in the Solarium, go to trivia, see shows, go to game shows... and of course I spend plenty of time eating.

We did see one extremely drunk girl in the Music Hall one night... and my young nieces were quite amused by her attempt at "dancing."

On 9/19/2023 at 7:01 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

yes Disney cruises are more expensive, and to be honest we haven’t even on one for a few years…BUT IMO they are definitely more upscale and the food was way better.  But to answer your question, YES it can be a drinking party. Years ago (I don’t know if this is still allowed) you could bring beer onboard (and maybe wine too) Our friends brought an entire suitcase of beer for a 4 night cruise. They seemed to be having more fun than us 🤪

At least you didn't go on Carnival!