Wi-fi and Starlink

emam

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

One of biggest things happening nowadays is the desire from people to want to be able to work remotely from anywhere in the world

...and hassling the workers at home who were hoping for some peace and quiet to get on with their jobs. I remember when my boss delayed his decision to get a company provided mobile phone. He told me the reason was he was going to the Caribbean for a fortnight on HOLIDAY and if he had that phone HIS boss would be pestering him several times a day with stupid questions.

They can have ship based Starlink, for a price

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

...and hassling the workers at home who were hoping for some peace and quiet to get on with their jobs. I remember when my boss delayed his decision to get a company provided mobile phone. He told me the reason was he was going to the Caribbean for a fortnight on HOLIDAY and if he had that phone HIS boss would be pestering him several times a day with stupid questions.

They can have ship based Starlink, for a price

Unfortunately when you own the company or are a solo trader you need decent Internet because you can't be off duty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:40 AM, david63 said:

I had it on Sky Princess earlier this year and found it much better than anything I had experienced on P&O in the past and that was up in the fjords where signal quality is notoriously bad.

Just completed USA/Canada Transatlantic on Sky Princess, because I do remote work anyway I took my laptop and found Skylink really good, few duff spots but they tended to be close to land, thought it was worth the money @ £172.50 for 23 days (didn't bother until day after leaving Southampton) 

On Arcadia soon, doubt I will do anything other than 4G when close to land, still find plenty of time for the holiday!

22 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Just completed USA/Canada Transatlantic on Sky Princess, because I do remote work anyway I took my laptop and found Skylink really good, few duff spots but they tended to be close to land, thought it was worth the money @ £172.50 for 23 days (didn't bother until day after leaving Southampton) 

On Arcadia soon, doubt I will do anything other than 4G when close to land, still find plenty of time for the holiday!

We had Princess Plus on the same cruise which includes internet. Skylink was really good and useful. Kept me in touch with CC and respond when useful. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire Steve said:

About £6 a day is pretty good. Rather different from P&O's pricing! (Though hopefully with the increased capacity provided by Starlink, they will feel able to substantially reduce it. They may have been keeping the cost high to try to reduce the number of people using wi-fi to what the existing system could cope with without becoming impossibly slow.)