Is it true what I'm reading about British Airways?

_alan_

12 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

This thread should be titled "Is it true that European aircraft are configured differently to US Domestic"

We've been flying BA almost exclusively for the last 20 years, simply because there's no easier way to get from a US city to our Scottish home near Aberdeen. They also have a great rewards program that lets us get 2 business class tickets using only the miles for 1 each year when we spend enough on our BA Visa card.

Most of the issues we've encountered have been related to Heathrow, not BA. There have been a frustrating number of flight cancellations and associated re-bookings, especially in the past 3 years, and the T5 connection experience always fills me with dread.

When connecting at T5 - unless from a UK domestic flight - passengers must travel through at least security screening, and sometimes immigration also depending on the onward destination. In truth this always seems worse than it ends up being, especially if you have "Fast Track" as a result of being a Club World passenger. Keep your eyes open for the Fast Track signs, expect to go through security screening and remember you're not in America. Liquids go in a smaller bag than they do for the TSA and there's no pre-check.

We're always seated in one of the 3 T5 lounges in under 45 minutes from arrival, more typically 25, and we once landed at T3, transferred to T5, and were in the lounge right at 60 minutes.

Unless arriving from a UK domestic flight do not accept a connection time of less than 2hrs 30mins for simple peace of mind at Heathrow T5. Use extra time to relax in one of the lounges. To get the circulation flowing after being still on a long flight, considering walking from concourse to concourse instead of taking the shuttle train using one of the little known tunnels.

Club World, especially in the newly remodeled Club Suites, is a great travel experience. I'm 6'3" and easily lie flat on the bed. There's privacy with the door shut, the crew are outstanding, and the food is excellent.

Apparently the OP had no idea about Europe biz configs, but no doubt does now.

most concerns/complaints regarding planes/flying/Viking cruising seem due to lack of knowledge/research resulting in wrong (and therefore unattainable) expectations.

These forums can help people set the right expectations - if they research them.

• Like 1

Yeah previously I assumed BA was built on solid reputation.   I just wanted to know if the complaints I’ve read were false or outdated.  I can put up with the short jaunt in Euro Business Class, it was just a shock to me to read that it didn’t match what I felt was their solid reputation.  

12 minutes ago, _alan_ said:

Yeah previously I assumed BA was built on solid reputation.   I just wanted to know if the complaints I’ve read were false or outdated.  I can put up with the short jaunt in Euro Business Class, it was just a shock to me to read that it didn’t match what I felt was their solid reputation.  

I think we've established that this isn't a case of a "Solid Reputation" not being earned, but you having uninformed expectations related to European aircraft configurations.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 3:59 AM, _alan_ said:

We’re booked in Europe Business class from Venice to LHR.   According to seat guru, this business class is very cramped seating, no better than economy with boxes on the floor for audio equipment or something which will reduce legroom.  

The pitch on the seat is listed as 30 inches and the width as 17, no better than a Southwest economy seat.  The reviews on seat guru are saying those numbers are too gracious and the seats are even smaller. 

I’m hoping that there’s been a recent remodel and we will be pleasantly surprised. 

Nope.

Intra-Europe business class for most every airline is on single-aisle aircraft where "business" is nothing more than coach seating with a blocked middle seat.  If you were expecting something like intercontinental business class, or even USA domestic first, you will be greatly disappointed.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2023 at 5:35 AM, _alan_ said:

that’s what I’m seeing as well, which is rubbish. My guess is that it’s even worse domestically within England.   Thankfully the 80 pitch seat from Heathrow to Philadelphia will allow some attempt at recovery. 

I know I sound like a whiner but when you pay for what you think is 80 pitch and you get 30, that’s a cause for concern.  I don’t fly business class often, so I’d like to be spoiled when I do luv. 

Sounds like a case of "I made assumptions and never did the research".  Interesting that you did that investigation AFTER you chose those flights.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Sounds like a case of "I made assumptions and never did the research".  Interesting that you did that investigation AFTER you chose those flights.

my mistake was assuming Viking air would make appropriate selections.  And trusting their selections.  

18 minutes ago, _alan_ said:

my mistake was assuming Viking air would make appropriate selections.  And trusting their selections.  

To be fair to Viking it would appear that they have made an appropriate selection, as there is no better optional aircraft route for travel within Europe. The alternative would have been to travel by train to Heathrow, with several changes on route. Now that would give cause for complaint

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Intra-Europe business class for most every airline is on single-aisle aircraft where "business" is nothing more than coach seating with a blocked middle seat

I have found that many European airlines serve very good food and wine in business class on intra-European flights   

They will get you from A to B safely. Their flight and cabin crew are good.

Seats in all classes are below average, first is a decent business class.

Gate staff tend to be clueless and reserved seats are changed without notice. One time this happened between check in and the gate. We'd been moved to the top deck. I asked what they thought the wheelchair arrangements made with the booking were about, they were nonplussed when I pointed out I couldn't get up the stairs!

They're abysmal if you have a disability.

KLM are much better. Even United are better. 

We only use them if its the only direct flight available. They're not bad enough to avoid completely, but don't expect much

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:35 PM, _alan_ said:

that’s what I’m seeing as well, which is rubbish. My guess is that it’s even worse domestically within England. 

The aircraft for short flights like that tend to be 2 2 configuration, with around 120 pax, as the flights are rarely longer than an hour it doesn't matter. I have a recollection that London to Newcastle is 50 minutes. BA domestic flights were originally set up to be a flying bus service. Now they are mostly a means to get to/from Heathrow. Cost and convenience are the driving factors for booking

On 9/23/2023 at 9:36 AM, KBs mum said:

My guess is that it’s even worse domestically within England. 

The BA short haul fleet is the same, whether it is a five hour flight to Amman or a 40 minute hop to Manchester.  Nothing different about a domestic flight.

The only comfortable BA short haul flights are the Cityflyer services from London City, which have much more generous legroom (all the way down the plane) on Embrarer E190.  But these aircraft are never used on Heathrow services

• Like 1