Chair saving by pool question!!??

OK..... now I don't want to start anyhting here, and I understand the frustration with people who pout towels on chairs and don't return for hours on end.

BUT.... what about when you want t o swim or sit in the hot tub? I always put my towel, cover-up, glasses, etc on a chair while I am in the pool or hot tub and return to the chair when i am done swimming.... is this wrong? Is this considered chair saving? And if it is what am I supposed to do with my stuff while I am swimming????

Just wondering~~

Jen

going Platinum May 7 on Adventure!

I posted this in the other thread, same opinion -- If you're in the pool area, you should be able to use your chair for as long as you like.

But I'm planning on bringing a note that's either laminated or using post-its that says "In the pool / hot tub/ ladies room back in a few".... I'll post back how that goes after my cruise.

If I could start the "I hate chair hogs" club I would :mad: I find it so annoying that people stake out their chairs at sunrise and don't return until sometime mid-morning....it's just plain rude and selfish. Having said that, if you are actually "using" the chair, and are in the pool "area" swimming or hot tubbing - there is nothing at all wrong with leaving your belongings on the chair. It's those people that are obviously nowhere near the pool but insist on hogging a chair all day that really aggravate me!

I've never been able to stay in the pool longer than 10 seconds (ice cold :eek: ), so that would not be an issue for me :) ! But, if I were going to be in the hot tub for a while, I'd probably take my stuff with me and leave the lounge chair open for anothers use. But, that's me, if you are comfortable leaving your things on the chair, I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Then again, I don't take a chair near the pool, it's always so crowded there, I go up a deck, or to another area of the ship for relaxing.

Leaving things on lounge chairs first thing in the morning for later use is right up there with rudely butting into a line, turning around and thinking everyone is going to love you for it.

It is one thing to put your stuff down and take a dip. It is another to go up at sunrise, put your stuff down and then go to breakfast or such. I also don't like when 1 of a party of 4 goes to pool and stakes them out and save them for hours until the others get out of bed. That happened the first day on Serenade, I watched the stuff with another lady just sitting there. The one person came and went for 2 hours. The pool deck was filling up so...I picked up the stuff, put it on one chair they had reserved and let my mother sit down. Upon her return she told me how rude I was and before I could respond, she opened a can of worms with the other pax around us. Everyone chewed her out, I almost felt bad for her, and I never saw her at the pool again. Oh well!

I agree with others here...

...If I am going for a dip in the pool for 10/20 minutes, then I will leave things on the lounge chair. Same if I pop to a bar to order a drink (to take back to the lounge chair). However, I normally leave my husband with both our lounge chairs - so not normally an issue.

IF I am going to lunch, going to play golf, use the climbing wall, go back to my cabin (for anything other than to grab something and run back), then I take all my belongings and my towel and leave the chairs free for others to use. I treat others with the respect and consideration I would like to be treated with.

Boo

These are the folks that come out to the pool at 530M-6AM & line up 10 chairs with towels & you come out at 10AM and all chairs are taken with no one in the pool, 2 people in the hot tub & no one in the chairs. That is when I help myself to the towel, get my Maui Babe on to be very dark in 2 hours & then put their towel back on the chair for them to use or take back to the stateroom.

Yes we swim, get a drink, take a walk since the chairs can kill your butt but we are not gone for hours on end. Just like you Jen, when we are going to lunch, we either one at a time get a tray of food to eat out there or we just go back to our stateroom, shower & dress for lunch in the dining room.

Hi to Gene for me..........

OK..... now I don't want to start anything here, and I understand the frustration with people who pout towels on chairs and don't return for hours on end.

BUT.... what about when you want t o swim or sit in the hot tub? I always put my towel, cover-up, glasses, etc on a chair while I am in the pool or hot tub and return to the chair when i am done swimming.... is this wrong? Is this considered chair saving? And if it is what am I supposed to do with my stuff while I am swimming????

Just wondering~~

Jen

going Platinum May 7 on Adventure!

Most adults don't stay in the pool more than 10 minutes or so. It's fine to keep your things on a chair that you plan to return to fairly quickly.

I too get up at the butt crack of dawn to get a pool chair, but that is because I want one to sit in. I also actually sit in it. I HATE!!!! the people who put their towels down and don't come up to see the sun until between 12 and 2pm. Having saved a chair for approx 6 hrs they wonder why people give them evil looks. The longest I will ever be gone is to go to the girls room, jump in the pool to cool off, or grab a bite of food and take back to my chair. Other than that it's so rude. Why the cruiselines have a rule they don't enforce is stupid. I have even sat wrapped up in a towel because it was still so cold because I refused to be rude and leave my towel unoccupied when it was a cool start to the morning LOL! (My daughter laughed and called me dummy on that one!).

I think I agree with those of you who say, if it is obvious that the chairs are being saved, too bad--use the chairs. I run into this all the time at my kids concerts at school. you have people going at 6:00 for a 7:00 show, and save 6 or so chairs for the siblings, grandparents, etc. And when I open my mouth, the saver reacts like I am the jerk! My family gets embarrassed by me, but when I am on my cruise, you can bet I'll be sitting in someone's saved chair! (only the hogged ones, not the chairs of those in the pool, hot tub, etc...) I do like the idea of the laminated sign. let us know how that works.:D

40920251.gif

I live in sunny FL, so I am usually enjoying the other aspects of the ship.

But I have no problem moving a towel if there is no one nearby who can say that they've seen anyone in the chair for a while.

I guess I just assume that a towel on a chair means that the person has LEFT. For good, and wasn't nice enough to drop the towel in a basket. So, if I want the chair, I move the towel and have a seat. If it had been a chair hog who left it there, for hours, I could be the 5th person who has sat there, for all they know.

If there are personal possessions on a chair (hat, book, shoes, etc.) I assume that the person is in the general area and will be right back.

It never hurts to tell a "neighbor" if you are going to the pool, hot tub, etc., so they can pass the word along to chair seekers. Nancy

You are soooo right! Let someone know that you will be right back--it's the polite thing to do!

Sometimes the personal effects are just for show. I have seen people arranging their things, then leaving for hours. It's like staging an open house or something!

I'm not going to take the time or energy to do this on a cruise, but wouldn't it be a hoot to take those items to the customer service desk to put in the lost and found? Tell them that they were found near the pool. With a sweet smile.

Then if the folks come back, sweetly suggest that they look in the lost and found.

On second thought, if I get REALLY bored on a sea day.....

:-)

Sometimes the personal effects are just for show. I have seen people arranging their things, then leaving for hours. It's like staging an open house or something!

LOL! I just love that HGTV show Designed To Sell! I think I'll do that when I'm on the Splendour later this month. I'll lurk around the pool deck early, keep tabs on the chair hogs, then when I'm sure they're at breakfast, I'll "stage" the pool deck rearranging everybody's stuff to my liking. I can't wait to see the reaction. :eek:

I'm not going to take the time or energy to do this on a cruise, but wouldn't it be a hoot to take those items to the customer service desk to put in the lost and found? Tell them that they were found near the pool. With a sweet smile.

Then if the folks come back, sweetly suggest that they look in the lost and found.

On second thought, if I get REALLY bored on a sea day.....

:-)

I think that sounds like a GREAT idea!

Hello All!

Just got back from the Navigator yesterday and saw this thread - haven't had time to read all your posts but just wanted to tell you what happened to the chair hogs on the Nav.

Some of the couples we were with spent a lot of time in the Solarium pool area. On the crowded sea days they said that the pool attendants were looking at their watches and if people did not show up in their chairs for quite a while they were removing their personal items(which they kept at the pool attendant area for the people to retrieve) and letting other people use the chairs. YEAH!!!!!!! We were at the upper level most of the time and I can't say I saw this happening but there were always chairs available there. One day there were two chairs next to us that had towels and shirts on them and we never saw the people use the chairs and we were there about an hour and a half. It was a windy day and the shirt on the chair next to me was starting to come loose from the wind and I was really hoping to see that thing just blow away!! Can't help it but those chair hogs really annoy me!! Glad to see that at least there is some "policeing" (is that a word?) going on!

It is one thing to put your stuff down and take a dip. It is another to go up at sunrise, put your stuff down and then go to breakfast or such. I also don't like when 1 of a party of 4 goes to pool and stakes them out and save them for hours until the others get out of bed. That happened the first day on Serenade, I watched the stuff with another lady just sitting there. The one person came and went for 2 hours. The pool deck was filling up so...I picked up the stuff, put it on one chair they had reserved and let my mother sit down. Upon her return she told me how rude I was and before I could respond, she opened a can of worms with the other pax around us. Everyone chewed her out, I almost felt bad for her, and I never saw her at the pool again. Oh well!

Okay I have a dumb question, but are the chairs just right around the pool the ones that are being hogged??? Can you still find a chair like on one of the upper decks overlooking the pool and how about those around the jogging track???

We have almost always been able to find chairs up on the upper deck. People seem to come and go from these a lot. From what I have observed, it is those prime ones by the pool that get "hogged" up quickly.

We have almost always been able to find chairs up on the upper deck. People seem to come and go from these a lot. From what I have observed, it is those prime ones by the pool that get "hogged" up quickly.

Thanks I was worried about finding a chair anywhere on the ship, but feel better now knowing that it's just the prime poolside chairs that go first. At least I'll be able to find one on upper decks.

Archived