Pride 05/30/04 sailing review by an occasional dumb blonde

kajsb

All you have to do is show up at the QM between 9 am and when they close. They are supposed to stay open until 12 pm but I have heard of them closing as early as 11:30 am.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/150098631/150106237hrYrQL

http://community.webshots.com/photo/150098631/150106325mpmPiG

No advance notice is required to take advantage of this, just show up. After you do the early check in, you can wander around or wait in lines that are set up. We chose to wait in line so we could be up at the front. Several hundred people do take advantage of the early check in, but that leaves a lot out of the 2,000 + passengers who do not use the early check in.

Thank you very much for the info. I've been doing some research and determined that since we have a suite that we are offered a special line to board the ship. Hopefully, this helps us get on the ship as soon as possible.

Regards,

Jeff

We had a suite too and were eligible for Skipper's Club priority boarding. The QM early boarding gets you on earlier. The lines are taken on in the following order:

1) weddings

2) disabled

3) Skipper's Club with early check-in

4) Skipper's Club that did not take advantage of early check-in

5) all other cruisers who had completed early check in

6 All the rest of the cruisers who obviously do not read cruisecritic.com and prefer to stand in long lines.

If you are a Skipper's Club member and did the early check in, you will go through security, have your boarding picture taken (one they sell, the other for your s/s card) and then you will sent on the ship.

If you are in Skipper's club and you do NOT do the early check in, after secutiry, you will go to the counter with Carnival personnel and do the whole process with your passport, credit card for your s/s card, etc. After this is completed you will do the pictures and then board. If you do the early check in, this step has already been completed and you will get on the ship much earlier.

I highly recommend the early check in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kathy-

Thanks again for all the great info you have provided! I have one other question for you about timing.

You said muster drill was around 4pm. The itinerary says that is the time the ship is supposed to set sail. Was muster before the ship pulls away? We are just trying to finalize the time to meet with the other Cruise Critic folks on our cruise and I need to decide if we want to meet before muster or after. Still want to be able to view the sailaway from our cabin (that wonderful aft wraparound like you had!).

Thanks again!

Brian

Brian,

I thought and thought and thought and for the life of me I could not remember if the muster drill was before or after we set sail. But, I went to marklodi long, detailed review to see what he had to say.

It was now 4 pm and an announcement declared the life boat drill was beginning, to grab our life vests and immediately head to our muster station, which was A on deck 2 forward, starboard side. We donned our orange fashion statements and were herded into long lines of people facing the pier. NO, I was NOT the first in line, so there. ;) “Please make sure to tie the blue ties at the top of the vest and proceed all the way down. Please make sure to tie the blue ties at the top of the vest and proceed all the way down. Please make sure….” We’re sure already. We were then walked through the ancient Chinese art of life vest-donning and little-yellow-whistle-blowing, told where the emergency exits were and that, in the unlikely event of a water landing, our seats could be used as floatation devices, etc. As we were standing there, someone yelled out, “We’re moving!” Sure enough, at 4:15pm, the Pride slid away from the dock and headed out to open sea.

So, it seems to be that you set sail during the muster drill.

Kathy

No, really, thanks for tracking that down in Marklodi's post. I know he has a great review, but didn't remember that being in it.

I guess since I think some folks are coming later in the day, we will shoot for a little after the muster, but before the first seating.

Thanks again for taking the time to look that up for me!

Brian

Marklodi and I have stayed in touch even though he is not hanging out on the boards right now. Because of all the info he put in his review, I asked him to send me the copy he saved in word. That way it's always available to pass it on to new cruisers on the Pride. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kathy!

If you haven't seen it already, there's a request from me in your email inbox for Marklodi's "travel log". :) I soooooo appreciate all this wisdom and experience. Would you do me a favor (if you get a chance) and give a brief reason for some of the things you suggested to bring? Some of them are self explanitory, but some- like the surge protector????-had me wondering.

"I also wanted to pass on the items that I would now never forget to pack on a cruise. I got these tips all from cruise critic:

Downey wrinkle release {just a wrinkle spray?}

Blank VCR tapes- I would take 2 next time. I taped some of the shows that were played over and over again on the cabin tv.

roll-on ice chest with my own sodas and water

Surge protector {????}

Night light

Extra hangers {how many are in the room?}

Spray bottles {empty? for what?}

Quarters {??}

Dollar bills (I took $50 and it wasn't enough)

Duct tape {??}

Highlighters {I think I know this one, but others might not}

Collapsible cooler {for shore excursions?}

Energizer lithium batteries (AA) for my digital camera. I only had to change batteries once during the cruise. With regular batteries, I had to change them every day."

Boy, now I really feel like a newbie! :confused:We're going on our first cruise in May, and I will spend most of my time reading posts like this until then!!! We're in rm. 5268 (I think...)- it's one of the extended balconies off the end of the ship. I'm a bit concerned about the noise/vibrations after reading your review... has anyone else had one of these "extended balcony" rooms at the back?? Fifth floor- I think that's Upper Deck? So much to learn! Thanks again for all your posting on this thread!

Laura C.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a request from me in your email inbox for Marklodi's "travel log". :) I soooooo appreciate all this wisdom and experience.
Would you please send your e-mail again. I spent the weekend in Tucson, Arizona and was using my nephews dog of a computer. I accidently deleted your e-mail and could not retrieve it. :eek:
Would you do me a favor (if you get a chance) and give a brief reason for some of the things you suggested to bring? Some of them are self explanitory, but some- like the surge protector????-had me wondering.
Downey wrinkle release {just a wrinkle spray?-

Yes, just a wrinkle spray but it really helps with the wrinkles when you take your clothes out of the suitcase

Blank VCR tapes- I would take 2 next time. I taped some of the shows that were played over and over again on the cabin tv.

The TV continually repeats the shows (not the Las Vegas type shows) and you can tape them if you would like to save it.

roll-on ice chest with my own sodas and water

This really saves a lot of money if you are a big soda and water drinker.

Surge protector {????}
The cabins usually only have one outlet with two plugs. If you have a cell phone to charge, a battery for your video camera and ???? you find yourself running out of outlets. With the surge protector, you're covered.
Night light
The cabin can be very dark at night. To avoid stumbling around, always have a night light.
Extra hangers{how many are in the room?}
Never enough. Even in our suite that had a lot of hangers, I still needed more and was glad I had packed extra.
Spray bottles {empty? for what?}
Empty- They sure came in handy when we were lying in the sun to spritz ourself with a spray of cool water. We never went in the pool, just hung out on our huge balcony.
Quarters {??}
For laundry just in case you need to do washing.
Dollar bills (I took $50 and it wasn't enough)
Great for tips- taxis, room service, etc.
Duct tape {??}
Just in case something rips. If you buy too many souvenirs and your luggage rips- fix it with duct tape. If a hem comes out and you don't have a thread and needle or time, use a little bit of duct tape.
Highlighters I think I know this one, but others might not
Use the highlighter to mark the activities in the capers that you might want to do.
collapsible cooler- for shore excursions?
Can be used for shore excursions or to take on the ship filled with just a few sodas and bottled water. We were such heavy drinkers, we needed the large ice chest.
Energizer lithium batteries (AA) for my digital camera. I only had to change batteries once during the cruise. With regular batteries, I had to change them every day."
With the regular batteries, I find myself having to change batteries at least once a day.
Boy, now I really feel like a newbie! :confused:We're going on our first cruise in May, and I will spend most of my time reading posts like this until then!!! We're in rm. 5268 (I think...)- it's one of the extended balconies off the end of the ship. I'm a bit concerned about the noise/vibrations after reading your review... has anyone else had one of these "extended balcony" rooms at the back?? Fifth floor- I think that's Upper Deck? So much to learn! Thanks again for all your posting on this thread!
If you do have 5268, you will have a wonderful cabin. Even though we had the vibration and noise the first night, I would take that cabin again in an instant if it was the only aft (with the wrap around balcony) cabin left. The aft of the ship is quiet (except for the engine noise the first night) because you do not have traffic wandering through the halls. The view from the aft of the ship while you relax on the balcony is the best view you can ask for.

Have a great cruise!

Now I've got it!!! :D :D :D !!! Thanks, Kathy, all that makes a whole lot more sense to me now. Guess I should start making my list now, so I won't forget anything when we finally end up going, huh? :p Glad to hear such a rave review of that section of the ship. The TA seemed to think it was a great choice, too.

It's time to dream of cruising... <zzzzzzzzzzz>

~Laura C.

I don't know why, but again yorur e-mail went to my spam folder. But, this time, I didn't delete it! :) I've added your e-mail to my address book, so hopefully this will stop any e-mails from going to the spam folder.

• 1 year later...
I think we actually corresponded in another thread on the Pride. I will be in cabin 7298, three decks directly above your cabin. I still use YOUR photo of the back of the ship to show people where their cabins are (we have 4 in a row aft balconies on deck 7)!

I will let you know for future reference what the noise and vibration is like up on deck 7.

Thanks again for the help, can't wait until we sail!

Brian

Hi Brian

I just upgraded from 8G (7337) to 8F (7302) for the extended balcony (departing Jan. 15th 2006). It was only $20 more total. Was this the right thing to do? From your experience are any downsides to being fully aft on the Pride?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Buckeye 1989

I'm glad this old thread popped up... going on the Pride in 73 days! I've sailed on the Pride before, but have never done the Mexican Riviera. Thanks for your great review Kathy!

You will love the Mexican Riviera. My favorite stop is PV. When you are there, be sure to visit the new restaurant opened by the former CD on the Pride. If you go there, please tell Greg that Kathy says 'HI".

======

INFO below from the former Cruise Director

Greg Kneale for his new restaurant in PV. :D

Well, finally I am able to keep the promise I made when I left carnival and I would like to extend an invitation to all you wonderful Cruise Critic members to come and visit me when you make it to Puerto Vallarta. I've had 9 months of golf, now it's time to work again. My business partner is a gentleman called Joe Jack. He is the executive chef and co-owner of the Luna Park restaurants in San Francisco and Los Angeles. We have totally gutted an old restaurant here and the work is almost complete. We hope to open on or around December 14th. The restaurant is going to be called "Joe Jack's Fish Shack". It is located on Basilio Badillo, which is regarded as restaurant row in PV. The easiest point of reference is Fajita Republic....we are directly opposite that place. Our restaurant is 2 floors, the lower floor will be a reception area and cocktail bar.....upstairs is going to be rooftop dining....offering a variety of ceviches, fish taco and fresh seafood dishes all priced at under ten dollars.

Upon entering the restaurant, please show your Sail & Sign card (no, you can't pay with it), say you are a CC member and we will be delighted to offer you some discount. Joe will be doing the hard work....cooking. I hope to be around most nights, especially on a Wednesday when the Pride is in port, to wander around the tables, chat and have a few laughs. We will be open for lunch as well as dinner.

I do look forward to seeing many of you in the future including Randy, Gary, Belle, Kathy, Mark, Kristie, Joe to name just a few. If you don't manage to get down this way, I wish you all Happy Holidays and Cruising wherever you may go.

Greg Kneale

=====

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm glad this old thread popped up... going on the Pride in 73 days! I've sailed on the Pride before, but have never done the Mexican Riviera. Thanks for your great review Kathy!

You will love the Mexican Riviera. My favorite stop is PV. When you are there, be sure to visit the new restaurant opened by the former CD on the Pride. If you go there, please tell Greg that Kathy says 'HI".

======

INFO below from the former Cruise Director

Greg Kneale for his new restaurant in PV. :D

Well, finally I am able to keep the promise I made when I left carnival and I would like to extend an invitation to all you wonderful Cruise Critic members to come and visit me when you make it to Puerto Vallarta. I've had 9 months of golf, now it's time to work again. My business partner is a gentleman called Joe Jack. He is the executive chef and co-owner of the Luna Park restaurants in San Francisco and Los Angeles. We have totally gutted an old restaurant here and the work is almost complete. We hope to open on or around December 14th. The restaurant is going to be called "Joe Jack's Fish Shack". It is located on Basilio Badillo, which is regarded as restaurant row in PV. The easiest point of reference is Fajita Republic....we are directly opposite that place. Our restaurant is 2 floors, the lower floor will be a reception area and cocktail bar.....upstairs is going to be rooftop dining....offering a variety of ceviches, fish taco and fresh seafood dishes all priced at under ten dollars.

Upon entering the restaurant, please show your Sail & Sign card (no, you can't pay with it), say you are a CC member and we will be delighted to offer you some discount. Joe will be doing the hard work....cooking. I hope to be around most nights, especially on a Wednesday when the Pride is in port, to wander around the tables, chat and have a few laughs. We will be open for lunch as well as dinner.

I do look forward to seeing many of you in the future including Randy, Gary, Belle, Kathy, Mark, Kristie, Joe to name just a few. If you don't manage to get down this way, I wish you all Happy Holidays and Cruising wherever you may go.

Greg Kneale

=====

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived