Rental of formal wear onboard

regie2

Greetings, trying to avoid having to carry a tuxedo around on a long trip before our crossing in 2024 back to New York. Is the formal wear rental still available onboard and how is it? Can one get correct sizes? Or any other ideas? Maybe buy something shortly before departure? Thanks. Joseph

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Cunard board.

I can only give a partial answer, but one option certainly is to use Marks and Spencer's formal range to have something lined up in your size at the Southampton branch, which is very near the cruise terminals. If you order a few days in advance they will have it ready for you, and you pay on ordering. They are a mass market brand, so you're not going to be over-charged for this, just be aware a few size differences between UK, Europe and the USA.

• Like 4

As Pushpit suggests Marks and Spencers is a good option. There are of course others in UK.

An advantage with M&S is you should be able to try on the garments when you pick them up and if they don't fit they will change them on spot if they have stock.  If not, make sure you have all your proofs of purchase with you and they should refund you to the original mode of payment in the shop. Unless they have changed policies since we last did it.

Theoretically you could even order more than one size and get a refund on those that are unsuitable.

• Like 1

I would also suggest Marks and Spencers. Their formal range is pretty good value, and available in a good range of sizes. The option of ordering online and collecting at the Southampton Branch is a good one, as they may not always have your size in stock. I've never rented formal wear on board, but I suspect it would be no cheaper than buying from M&S.

• Like 1

Another Thumbs 👍  up for M&S. Please please don't rely on onboard Hire. 

As  self appointed fashion police & fashionista ( only banter folks don't be posting in ! ) 

I can't help smiling at some of the sights I've witnessed,  ill fitting trousers & jackets that  some gentlemen will accept from a pushy  onboard shop assistant .

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Another Thumbs 👍  up for M&S. Please please don't rely on onboard Hire. 

As  self appointed fashion police & fashionista ( only banter folks don't be posting in ! ) 

I can't help smiling at some of the sights I've witnessed,  ill fitting trousers & jackets that  some gentlemen will accept from a pushy  onboard shop assistant .

Being that as it may, on an Alaska cruise somehow I managed to not pack my husbands formal pants. The shop was able to find a pair that fitted him well, and matched his tuxedo jacket, so the rental place may be an alternative at a pinch if M&S doesn't work out.

We turned out to be quite lucky as it happens, BA managed to forget to load over 100 suitcases of the guests on this voyage, so some set sail for 10 days on board dressed only in their pyjamas. The rental shop was very soon out of formal wear to rent. I didn't feel so bad having only forgotten 1 pair of trousers, not 100 suitcases. I also bet that those clothed only in pyjamas will choose a better clothing option for their next flights.

• Like 2

Marks and Spencer is not brilliant for in store stock these days. Especially West Quay. There is a much bigger out of town one by the M27 .  My advice is to order several different sizes and options, try it all on and refund what’s not suitable. Currently a regular fit tuxedo is being sold for £99 and a slim fit  £129. I wouldn’t rely on buying or swopping in store . 

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

ill fitting trousers & jackets that  some gentlemen will accept...

To be fair, that sounds a bit like me the first time I tried on my Dinner suit post- lockdown !!

Edited by Simon-t
  • Haha 1

Here is the direct link:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/mens-suits/mens-tuxedos

I think you would have to be very skinny to carry off the pink velvet number. Though it would cause quite a stir at the Masonic lodge meeting! If sold as a "suit" it will include trousers (you may have another word for this) and if it is sold as "jacket" then you need to work in the trousers separately. You also need to consider shirt, cufflinks, cummerbund and bow tie, but they are light so you may be able to bring those with you. Otherwise M&S will sell them, search for cummerbund.

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Marks and Spencer is not brilliant for in store stock these days. Especially West Quay. There is a much bigger out of town one by the M27 .  My advice is to order several different sizes and options, try it all on and refund what’s not suitable. Currently a regular fit tuxedo is being sold for £99 and a slim fit  £129. I wouldn’t rely on buying or swopping in store . 

You are absolutely right to order, and this is how modern M&S works, apart from stock items they pretty much expect people to order online and there is a sophisticated collection process in every store where you enter the reference number and someone brings a plastic package out after a few minutes.

But on either my last or penultimate QE2 trip I played a terrible trick on a close friend of mine. We were discussing going on a lads break in France - he was (and is) a smoker and drinker whereas I'm neither, but I go for French food. So I arranged for us to take the train to Southampton, timing it carefully, but he was under the impression we were going on a car ferry to France for a few days. When we were past Winchester I said "You know, we have to do a bit of shopping in Southampton: I wasn't entirely correct about our arrangements today, we're going to New York." He had no idea about the QE2. Fortunately M&S in those days had a full area of dinner jackets and accompanying items so in 15 minutes we were all sorted out. In those days I think every night except sail-away night was formal wear, and absolutely no option about it either.

Luckily he loved the Crossing and he looks back on it very fondly. It was a rough crossing and I still remember the wood panels screaming at me, so I've got more mixed views!