New visa requirements????

Mrs f.

In the Palm Beach Post (Florida)newspaper there is an article that says...The Australian government wants tourists older than 75 to get a visa that requires a chest xray, and a medical examinationfrom one of their certified doctors before entering the country.....supposedly this went into effect July 1st.

Looks like this is something new.  I haven't seen mention of it anywhere.   Anyone familiar with this????

Edited by Mrs f.

From   Who needs health examinations (homeaffairs.gov.au)

Looks rather vague. Like maybe if you planing on moving there you need it. I already have my visa and I'm 79. I did get it back in April though. 

Check if you need to have health examinations

Online visa applications

To check whether you need to have health examinations:

1. Log in to ImmiAccount.
  2. Go to your application.
  3. Click on the 'View health assessment' link in the Applications Status section.
  4. If we need you to have health examinations, you will find a link there called 'Organise health examinations'. There will be no link if we don't need you to have health examinations.
  5. Click on the link and complete your medical history. 

When you complete your medical history you will be given a referral letter containing an identifier we call a HAP ID. You need the HAP ID to arrange your health examinations.

Paper visa applications

Your case officer will contact you if you need to have health examinations. You will be given a referral letter containing an identifier we call a HAP ID. You need the HAP ID to arrange your health examinations.

You had health examinations in the last 12 months

You might not need to have all the health examinations again if you had any in the last 12 months. Your referral letter will tell you what examinations you need to take.

It looks like it depends on which visa you are applying for ;

• The most popular is the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), which is an online visa that allows U.S. citizens to stay in Australia for up to 90 days Per Entry, for tourism or business purposes. It is a quick and easy visa option that we can help you get from the comfort of your own home!

• The Visitor Visa, also known as an Australian Tourist Visa, allows U.S. citizens to stay in Australia for up to 12 months for tourism or to visit family and friends. It’s a multiple-entry visa.

If you are applying for the "visitor visa" you may be required to get the medical exam. For most of us we will just be getting the ETA for a 90 day stay and won't need the exam.

2 hours ago, xeriod said:

It looks like it depends on which visa you are applying for ;

• The most popular is the Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), which is an online visa that allows U.S. citizens to stay in Australia for up to 90 days Per Entry, for tourism or business purposes. It is a quick and easy visa option that we can help you get from the comfort of your own home!

• The Visitor Visa, also known as an Australian Tourist Visa, allows U.S. citizens to stay in Australia for up to 12 months for tourism or to visit family and friends. It’s a multiple-entry visa.

If you are applying for the "visitor visa" you may be required to get the medical exam. For most of us we will just be getting the ETA for a 90 day stay and won't need the exam.

That is also how I have read the advice. The ETA is a visa waiver program and no need for tests or Xrays.

48 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

I thought the paper had the wrong info. They even interviewed a couple who supposedly wouldn't be able to go on their cruise because of this.  

Would you expect otherwise from media these days?. 

I wonder how much they paid this couple?

The cost of a tourist stream 600 Visa is $190. The price for a US citizen ETA is $20.