Recommendations of which cruise line to get solo supplement or lowest fare?

DrSea

ItSo I have decided today that I am cruising to Antarctica solo. I have been wanting to go and to actually set foot on Antarctica for about 5 years. However no one wants to go with me because it's too cold and expensive. 

Does anyone have any recommendations on lines that give single supplement or are more affordable? Cost is the number one concern since costs can balloon fast.

My only requirement is that I actually get to step onto the continent. I prefer English to be spoken but it's not a requirement. 

I have even thought of working a few months as a doctor in Antarctica, but that requires a LOT of paper work. It's still an option, but it's more of a last resort if the cruise would cost me 30k+. 

We have a load of Trip Advisor trip reports stored here in the FAQS if you want to start researching vessels etc. 
https://antarcticafaqs.boards.net

Some vessels have solo cabins now with no supplement, others you can choose a 2 berth and pay a supplement, and then there is the traditional cabin share where you simply pay for a berth and you are paired up with someone of same gender. I've shared with a stranger on 3 trips and got a cabin to myself on 4th trip (as I was a last minute booking and there was no spare solo to match me with - no supplement charged). 

We've had recent solo cabin threads on TA. 
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k14485590-Sharing_Instead_of_Single_Supplement_How_to_Find_Roommate-Antarctic_Adventures.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k14353210-Tips_for_Newbies-Antarctic_Adventures.html

Re cold - as I've always said to my friends - it's not like I travel there naked ! Just as when it's cold at home I wear the suitable attire to keep me warm ! 🐧

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DrSea said:

Thanks so much for your help

I'm in US. I'd only want to work there for 3 months though. Not sure if that would be possible. But I'm locked in to my contract for another 3 years. 

Hmmm generally expeditioners are employed on a seasonal basis. The winter season, there is only a flight before the season starts - and nothing more til after the season ends. 
Summer season has more flights but still restricted by weather conditions etc. 
Many - like my friends - do multiple seasons in a row. 
McMurdo - the US base - is the heaviest populated station so it may have more rotation of staff when flights are available. Easy enough to contact them and ask. All the stations have very active social media accounts. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DrSea said:

Thanks so much for your help

I'm in US. I'd only want to work there for 3 months though. Not sure if that would be possible. But I'm locked in to my contract for another 3 years. 

Also the other thing you can consider is offering your services to an expedition company for the summer peninsular season. For a single trip or multiple in a row. 
In my experience with both Quark & Oceanwide - the ship doctors are regular medicos who are contracted as volunteers by the companies. They get free trips with the proviso they are on call 24/7. Mostly dolling out seasickness pills but on my trips there have been a couple of broken bones (one involving an evacuation), and a mild heart attack. 
A Dr may also be called upon to give a medical opinion on someone with some kind of condition where the expedition leader believes it should preclude the passenger from an activity such as a shore landing with a rough landing area. 

I've met some who go every season and others who are first timers. 

Anyway an option to consider. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...