Help with Skagway Excursion

zoomingwithtwins

Hi! I’m excited to be posting here for the first time. We are going on a multigenerational Alaskan cruise this summer with one full time wheelchair user and one older person who has trouble walking long distances. Our stops are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. I think I know what we are doing in Juneau (helicopter to glacier because it has the lift), Ketchikan (Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s Tour) and Victoria (its so quick so probably nothing), but I’m stuck on Skagway and looking for suggestions. We definitely don’t want to do the train. I’m concerned about it being an expensive nap for several in our family. I saw there is panning for gold and sled dogs that might be accessible? But what about also seeing the salmon ladder? Maybe bears? We are in town all day so trying to figure this out. There are 9 of us total and enough strong people to throw the wheelchair user into a van/bus. Thanks for your suggestions!

1) On Vancouver Island (Victoria), I highly recommend the ship excursion to  Butxhart Gardens.  It is well worth it, and is highly wheelchair accessible.

2) Strength to lift a wheelchair is useful, but not helpful if there is no where to put the wheelchair in/on the vehicle. Assuming the user can transfer, they would need to be able to get into the vehicle (if it doesn't have a ramp or lift). The HAL excursion desk MAY be able to help you with excursions booked through the ship. if you book directly with a provider you are likely to get clearer, more accurate information.

We love to rent a car & drive into the Yukon.

Since you have 9 people, you might look into a "private" tour, doing the Yukon in a can.  Google Skagway tours & you should find such companies.  Some will be wheelchair accessible.

I must travel w/a scooter (on ship; sometimes in port) or a rollator (walker), so I understand your concerns.

ENJOY wonderful Alaska!

• 3 months later...

There was nine in my group this past August in Skagway and we did a private tour up to the Yukon.  Very easy if you can get on and off the mini bus , I used my rollator and it folded up. Look them up. Midnight sun tours .  She was very easy to work with and she is very knowledgeable about the area. We worked together on timeline and places we wanted to see