Thoughts on an Alaska cruise for kids - 11 and 9?

gqboy1

Hello!

We are looking into cruises next Summer (July/August 2024) and contemplating an Alaska cruise as we've never done it before.  We have been on Caribbean cruises plenty of times on RCL and the kids have loved it.  I'm wondering what your thoughts are if we are to take them to Alaska?  Would they be bored?  What have your experience been like with kids 9 and 11?  

Also, since we are from Toronto, we'll need to make our way to Vancouver or Seattle.  Vancouver would be the smaller Radiance class whereas Seattle is the Ovation/Quantum class.  We have only done Oasis and Quantum classes in the past so not sure how a smaller ship will be (in terms of kids entertainment).  What have you done in the past and what do you recommend?  TIA! 

• Like 1

I'll be following your topic since we are taking a multi-generation AK cruise next June...6 adults and five grandkids who will be 5-11. We think it will be great, especially for the oldest 4 of the group. We have some fun excursions booked so I don't think they will be bored. There is only one day at sea on our itinerary. 

We will be taking the Radiance which I am really looking forward to. This class of ships seems made for Alaska with their abundance of glass and smaller size allowing them to get to more ports. I don't know anything about the Ovation but we didn't consider leaving from Seattle because we wanted to get to the inside passage as quickly as possible and not have time at sea getting there. We are not interested in British Columbia for this trip. Also we wanted to end in Seward and make our way to Anchorage to see more of the state....which I know is just a sliver of what is there. 

Advice given to me was to look carefully at the ports and the times in port no matter which you choose. Princess and HAL have their fans for sure so you might look at those but for various reasons we wanted RCCL. 

• Like 2

We took our eighter-year old to Alaska on Carnival Miracle this past May/June.  We did an excursion with sled dogs, gold panning, and the train in Skagway, which she really loved (though she said the train was kind of long).  In Juneau, she enjoyed the Salmon Hatchery, seeing eagles and a bear cross the road, visiting the local library, and shopping in town (specifically for Russian nesting dolls).  She wasn't all that impressed with walking to Mendenhall glacier.  

There weren't a lot of kids on our cruise, but she still enjoyed going to the kids club and made some friends.  When I asked her if she'd like to go on another Alaskan cruise, she emphatically yelled, "Yes!"

Hope some of this helps.  

We had an eight year old and a four year old on a Princess cruise to Alaska in June. We couldn't get them to go to the kids club, so I can't speak to that. We brought some cars and legos and let them play in the room as we enjoyed Glacier Bay on the balcony. Made them come out for some photos, etc. But it didn't hold their attention.

But just being on a ship, the buffet and free ice cream!, the magic show and stuff like that held their attention for a week. The swimming pool was too deep and busy for their liking. 

In port we had our float plane canceled due to wind in Ketchikan. Juneau, we rented a car and made stops in various places. They did like playing at the beach at the falls at the end of the Mendenhall Glacier. Skagway we did the train. 8 year old said he liked it but the 4 year old fell asleep for an expensive nap. But, what can ya do. 

We did five days on our own in Alaska after. The kids still talk about the trip in a positive manner and want to do another cruise. The 8 year old has talked about it at school. So all in all it was a win. Both kids did get sick by the end, so more hand sanitizer next time!

Just took our 11-year-old to the Norweigan fjords this past summer on HAL Nieuw Statendam and I was very concerned with only one child of how bored she would get, being on a 2-week cruise on a ship not designed for kids.  My daughter loved it, as long as there is the buffet/ice cream, swimming pools and some nightly shows - she was totally good - this boat had the Music Walk and Step One dance company.  So now I'm looking into Alaska for next summer - I say go for it, your kids will be just fine.  PS mine was also not interested in the kids club so she had a lot of quality time with mom and dad.  Plus she had limited share time of the wifi on her device so she kept in touch with her friends which made her happy.

• Like 1

I would not worry about them being bored - just tell them to look at what is outside of the ship.  I have taken 4 grandkids to AK who were about the same ages as yours and none of them had the slightest interested in any of the on-ship kids activities at all.  To quote my 10 year old granddaughter and we did not prompt her about this statement - "I am in Alaska.  Why would I want to spend my time in a boring kid's club and eat hot dogs when I can see Alaska and eat real adult stuff".  Now that is one smart kid.

Just remember that AK and the Caribbean are totally different places and your interaction w the ship will also be totally different.

DON

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised a lot with my kids at that age, and it is a good age for them to travel.   I hope you have fun....

My recommendation is not to choose a cruise based on the kids program or on ports that are kid friendly.  I would choose the cruise you want and I feel kids that age will adapt and will have a great time, on any ship.       

We went on Radiance Class to Alaska and it was great.   I do not think smaller ships are a negative.  However, that was a few years ago and Radiance Class is getting up in years.   Not saying she doesn't still look nice, cause I haven't been on Radiance class in several years.   However, age of ship sometimes is more of an issue than size in my opinion....   

That said, I really like Vancouver as a embarkation port.  Stay downtown 1 or 2 nights before, walk to ship.   Really a beautiful city.

• Like 1

A cruise to AK is fundamentally different than a cruise to the Caribbean.  If you cruise the Caribbean what is on the ship can have an impact on your cruise experience.  If you cruise AK the important thing is what is outside of your windows.

DON

• Like 2