Differences between Mid Ship and Aft Suites

Lofty77

Hi, first off thanks for the various reviews and questions/answers on this forum - they've all been very useful for this cruise newbie! We're starting to think about going on a Saga cruise when time and finances allow (and hopefully not working so much!), and for various reasons we're thinking of either a Mid Ship or Aft Suite. Apart from the obvious differences (ship location, amount of cabin space), can anyone with experience of both cabins explain what these differences are please?

• Turndown service (Mid Ship) vs Luxury turndown service (Aft)
  • Complimentary replenished minibar (Mid Ship) vs Personalised minibar (Aft)
Edited by Lofty77
Typo

Don't know about aft suites we had midships.

In mid ship suite had  a normal turn down service after we left for dinner,  i.e. tidied bed , replaced any used towels, used cups etc. Left little bars of chocolate. 

In mini bar had two bottles of any spirits,  I had malt whisky,  OH had brandy, could have wine if wanted, plus beers and soft drinks as requested , plus nuts, or pretzels or other snacks. These were replaced as needed. Hardly used spirits as didnt drink in cabin given premium spirits included in bars.

That's the same as in Aft.  Got no idea what a 'luxury' turn down service is. In fact at Easter we got less chocolates than other cabins. Maybe they ran out.

When we first booked, pre covid & immediately after, Aft suites were supposed to be able to dine in suite from the speciality restaurants. It didn't happen. We were only allowed the MDR menu. At that time the mid suites weren't advertised as having a complimentary mini bar.

We had a VSOP brandy that you couldn't get in the bars so we did have after dinner drinks on the balcony some warm nights.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think the choice between midship aft is

Size advantage Aft

Whether you are prone to sea sickness. Advantage mid

Potential for soot , Advantage mid

Thanks all for the replies, yes I think the choice mainly comes down to these, just curious about the different descriptors. Any form of complimentary minibar and turndown service (and with a butler to ask about anything extra) feels luxury enough for me, mind you!

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think the choice between midship aft is

Size advantage Aft

Whether you are prone to sea sickness. Advantage mid

Potential for soot , Advantage mid

The soot was a big problem Dec 21. It was much better in April this year. They were also replacing the wooden railings. Wasn't obvious if they were revarnishing somewhere or if they were completely new. 

• 4 months later...

On the cruise I'm on on same deck at same discount. The aft suites are 15% bigger but only 8% more.

The forward suites are the bargin nearly twice as big but only 22% more.

But those who feel the sea, midships is a must

I agree we always go midships. 

Despite their fancy azipods , or perhaps because of them , I don't find the Spirts good in rough seas. The Cunard queens ride rough seas much better. Yes they are 78000 tons vs 59000 for Saga, but that shouldn't make that much difference. Perhaps an old fashioned single screw and matching hull design has been perfected over years

The Spirts are super smooth and quiet up till 4 meter waves, then  things go bad quickly. 

May be another software glitch,  adaptive control systems need to be set up correctly, or they can over correct.