Travel insurance and clinical trials

koolforkatz

Hi - hoping someone might know the answer to this. We have two cruises coming up in the next six months and are looking at purchasing travel insurance. My husband has just been contacted to join a clinical trial based on a past one he has done. It would involve a medical procedure as well as medication if he is selected for that arm of the trial. He hasn't been diagnosed with anything.This is all just for the sake of research and a trial for which he has volunteered.

Does anyone know whether that might interfere with him getting travel insurance? We will obviously check with the insurance company but thought someone might know.

It might not prevent him from acquiring medical insurance. But he probably wouldn't be covered for anything that could be linked to the procedure or the related medication, depending on the amount of time between the clinical trial and the cruise. 

Your husband's medical history, the precise nature of the procedure, the specific medication and your insurance company's policy with respect to pre-existing conditions all would have a bearing on possible coverage. In your case, I doubt that any CC member could give you a concrete answer, so I'd suggest contacting the insurance company now rather than holding out for answers here.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It might not prevent him from acquiring medical insurance. But he probably wouldn't be covered for anything that could be linked to the procedure or the related medication, depending on the amount of time between the clinical trial and the cruise. 

Your husband's medical history, the precise nature of the procedure, the specific medication and your insurance company's policy with respect to pre-existing conditions all would have a bearing on possible coverage. In your case, I doubt that any CC member could give you a concrete answer, so I'd suggest contacting the insurance company now rather than holding out for answers here.  

Don't be shy with the insurance company, meaning, tell them exactly what is happening and what you are doing.  Holding back information that is later uncovered if you have a claim could void your insurance for everything and anything.

As Fouremco said, it may not prevent getting insurance, but could limit coverage if there is an event tied to the clinical trial or medication used in the clinical trial.  You would then be eligible for coverage for instance for a broken leg or the like, BUT, holding back information once they delve into your medical background and then find the clinical trial, you may not have coverage because you did not disclose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1